Photos: Dogs onboard Queen Mary 2 on her Transatlantic Crossing

Kiwi_cruiser

On our second to last sea day before we got to New York, there was a dog parade,

so the dogs and there owners could get there photos taken and have a walk (run!) on the top deck!

The weather this day was not the best (very windy and tried to rain!).

These are just a selection of photos there are lots more on my Flickr page

IMG_5194.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

You can see the rest of these photos on my Flickr page:

You cannot just buy a vest and rock up to a ship with your "service dog". You need a lot of paperwork: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/PO_CU_assdog
ask.cunard pages are no longer accessible from the US.

Add me to the list of people who have seen a "service animal" or "emotional support animal" in the QM2 passenger areas, including an itinerary where dogs weren't transported in the kennels.

ask.cunard pages are no longer accessible from the US.

Add me to the list of people who have seen a "service animal" or "emotional support animal" in the QM2 passenger areas, including an itinerary where dogs weren't transported in the kennels.

Cunard accepts registered assistance dogs on board that have been specifically trained to assist a person with a disability and has been certified by an organisation that is a full member of

Assistance Dogs International (ADI) or International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF), the accrediting bodies for assistance dog organisations worldwide.

Emotional support dogs are not recognised as an assistance dog by the above organisations and are not permitted on board. All assistance dogs are carried free of charge.

Carriage of an assistance dog is subject to the conditions set by DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

Cunard Line welcome registered assistance dogs on all their vessels. Cunard Line has a DEFRA licence on Southampton to Southampton cruises and transatlantic crossings on Queen Mary 2.

As the DEFRA requirements are different from other forms of travel, it is essential owners understand the conditions that the dog must travel under.

We would advise all owners to carry their dog's identification card, or similar, with them at all times in case local authorities require proof.

sppunk--- my experience on QM2 ( 2 14-day T/A crossings ) is that the dogs in the kennel are kept in that area, their owners can visit them, but its not open to friendly and interested passengers, who may want to just ' drop in'. I never saw any of the kennel dogs '' out and about'' for a walk of any sort. Their exercise area is behind a gate.

Taking our first crossing in May and I absolutely adore puppies. Any tips when best to watch them roam?

On our crossing I normally went to up the gate of the kennels at about 3pm and there dogs where out playing with there owners or just out playing in the play area.

One tip I have is talk to the dog carers :), and then they might tell you about when the dog parade is on.

Good luck and hope you get some photos :)

PS: Let me know if you get any cats on your crossing! (If there is see if you can get a photo!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are taking our 2 Mini Australian Labradoodles to the UK (and beyond) May 17th and then back to the US on October 18.

We are looking forward to our trip. They don't have a clue what is coming. ;-

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to disagree with you but we have seen dogs several times with their (irresponsible owners) in the lido

I am shocked at this comment, if true, it should not be allowed. But once on the QM2 crossing the Atlantic, we did see approx ten dogs with owners in the main dining area each meal time, but they where special medical dogs which can tell when their owners are going to be ill. I had no problems with that, but just having a pet in a food area is wrong.

The Lido is not on the QM2.

You are saying people are wandering around the ship with dogs without the crew saying anything?

Correct about not being the lido, but since our 1st cruise on the QE2 over 20 years ago we still say the LIDO on all three of the Queens.😇