Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

They haven't said it yet but I have heard it on good authority that they will bring all their brands into line on this issue. I would assume then that, like Princess etc, you might only be allowed one bottle of champagne or wine per adult.

Host Sharon we have just booked a cruise and ibn the booking info it states on 1 litre of alcohol is allowed and no emblems on clothes :/

The way i understand it is brand logos like Polo RL etc are okay it is only home made ones as worn by stag and hen do parties and offensive slogans that are banned.

That's a relief but I have been told how some of the very short cruises(ie 3 nights) can effectively turn into 'booze cruises',if they are desperate enough to sell cabins that they attract such groups & all the fun & games that go with them

That's a relief but I have been told how some of the very short cruises(ie 3 nights) can effectively turn into 'booze cruises',if they are desperate enough to sell cabins that they attract such groups & all the fun & games that go with them
Given the new alcohol policy, the booze cruise element is likely to be 'watered down' in future.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Given the new alcohol policy, the booze cruise element is likely to be 'watered down' in future.

Dunno if everyone that booked a 3nt cruise and were allowed to take the new policy of 1 litre of spirits per person that would be some party in their staterooms if they drank a litre bottle of spirit in 3 nts on top of what they purchased in bars.

Dunno if everyone that booked a 3nt cruise and were allowed to take the new policy of 1 litre of spirits per person that would be some party in their staterooms if they drank a litre bottle of spirit in 3 nts on top of what they purchased in bars.
True, but by all accounts in the past certain passengers were taking on crates of booze, so a litre each is a significant reduction.

The comments about short cruises being 'booze cruises' almost put us off doing them, but we haven't found this to be the case. We did a 4 nighter on Ventura and did see one very drunk chap (who wasn't in a group, but was travelling with his very elderly grandparents) get quite aggressive, but he was calmed by security staff. Last year we did a 2 nighter on Aurora, simply as it was back-to-back with a 7 night cruise we had already booked. On both short cruises (2 night and 4 night) there were hen parties, but none was a problem. Conversely, at the start of the 7 night cruise a massive group of families and friends congregated in the Crows Nest as we left Southampton and got louder and louder and louder, completely ruining the transit down the Solent for all other passengers. We didn't venture back into the Crows Nest (which is our favourite bar) for the rest of the cruise for fear of encountering them again. Sadly, you can get rowdy passengers on any cruise but, based on our experience, length of cruise isn't normally a factor. The widely reported problems on an Australian cruise ship last week, where an extended family of 26 had to be offloaded, was on a 10 night cruise.

The comments about short cruises being 'booze cruises' almost put us off doing them, but we haven't found this to be the case. We did a 4 nighter on Ventura and did see one very drunk chap (who wasn't in a group, but was travelling with his very elderly grandparents) get quite aggressive, but he was calmed by security staff. Last year we did a 2 nighter on Aurora, simply as it was back-to-back with a 7 night cruise we had already booked. On both short cruises (2 night and 4 night) there were hen parties, but none was a problem. Conversely, at the start of the 7 night cruise a massive group of families and friends congregated in the Crows Nest as we left Southampton and got louder and louder and louder, completely ruining the transit down the Solent for all other passengers. We didn't venture back into the Crows Nest (which is our favourite bar) for the rest of the cruise for fear of encountering them again. Sadly, you can get rowdy passengers on any cruise but, based on our experience, length of cruise isn't normally a factor. The widely reported problems on an Australian cruise ship last week, where an extended family of 26 had to be offloaded, was on a 10 night cruise.

We have done several mini cruises and people have been well behaved but wherever alcohol is sold if people overindulge there is always a possibility of bad behaviour.

The original idea was to have taster cruises. The Booze Cruise element has crept in. Once they stretch to 4/5 nights this tends to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any reports yet on the efficiency of the P&O Alcohol Police controlling byo booze at the gangway?:halo:

Here’s my experience and I am currently on a ship. We bought a bottle of local liqueur in one port and carried it onto the ship without challenge. There is a table but the bag went through the scanner ashore and nobody said anything. In another port my OH was carrying on a bottle of spirits in his hand and was asked to hand it over but again the bottle I had went through the scanner on the ship and nothing was said. Other people may have had different experiences

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

I used to take a wine box on board equivalent to 3 75cl bottles of wine.. 1 bottle of wine allowed will mean only 75cl as I haven't seen litre bottles.. If we take a bottle of gin can we also take cans of tonic water ?

Sunnyseas

I used to take a wine box on board equivalent to 3 75cl bottles of wine.. 1 bottle of wine allowed will mean only 75cl as I haven't seen litre bottles.. If we take a bottle of gin can we also take cans of tonic water ?

Sunnyseas

You can take all the tonic you can carry. But why bother taking Gin when a Ltr. bottle of export strength Gordon’s is only £19.00.

Not sure if you're in the UK but if so, Aldi gin has just won the tasting challenge, £10 a bottle!

The Aldi brand spirits are also well priced and very good. But I cannot see the Cunarders taking on Aldi Gin for the G&T. , Gordons is for them is it not? :o

• 2 weeks later...

I can see this as something of a compliance thing. On one Gangway you see Bar Staff on the order you can see the Restaurant staff. Haven't seen anyone forcing people to declare anything.

On a drill day, on some ships, the staff don't arrive until the drill is finished. So where do you declare.

People need to be smart.