Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

mcgratru

This kind of freaks me out. Not only the idea that anyone going by in the hall could take it but that they can also just walk up and take it once off the ship.

We did this once on our first cruise and we could have taken any bag we wanted in the terminal without anyone stopping us.

It also means that our baggage has been out of our control between packing it and presenting it at airport security.

We have always self disembarked since (and only ever have one bag each) and always been early getting off.

Cruise in July out of FLL and don’t need to be off early as our flight is not until 3:00....is there later self disembark?

You can always self disembark anytime you like. You will have to vacate your room however, usually around 8am. So you can go to the buffet, have a late breakfast and then hang around until you HAVE to leave the ship. You'll probably have to leave the ship around 10AM or so.

I hate it, too - but not because I am particularly worried about theft. I am always afraid I will put some essential item in the bags to be collected - despite double and triple checking - and I will miss that item overnight or in the morning. I guess I am somewhat obsessive!

I think most people realize there are so many cameras on a cruiseship and in the ports that they would surely be caught. First they already have photos of everyone onboard. Second, with video cameras always watching, you only need to compare the video footage to the photos. I can't think of an easier case to solve. This is probably the reason you don't hear of this happening often.

The person trying to steal a piece of luggage also has no idea what it contains. Why risk jail for someone's dirty laundry. It is best to keep any high value or important items in your carryon on any vacation.

I definitely hear what you are saying but in all the many many years that we’ve been cruising and the many years we’ve been on these boards, I have yet to see this as a reported problem.

I guess it probably has happened at one time or another but not in any numbers that have met the level of concern that has caused the cruise lines to change their process. I think if it had, it would be alll over these boards.

This doesn’t mean to say your concern is not valid ... just hopes it alleviates your angst a bit.

Has never concerned us. But, if you sign up for self walk off you can actually leave the ship anytime up until final call. In Ft. Lauderdale this past winter it was around 9:30. Seems they are moving faster than years before. No matter what you choose to do you have to vacate your cabin by 8am.

You know something, in all of what few cruises (15) we've done and while we've only used the 'bags outside' practice only once. The thought that someone would either take or 'monkey' with a bag never occurred to us!:eek: Now, since someone mentioned it, I guess that could be the reason a person's bad would come up 'missing'. We live in a society where we'd like too think a large percentage of the sailing public would at least respect other's belongings, but sadly, there's ALWAYS one out there, that for whatever reason, likes your suitcase or wonders, 'What's he/she got in there, that I don't'. :mad:Scary and sad.

Mac

in 9 cruises we have never had one thing stolen from cabin or outside cabin......we purposely do not take valuables that we cant live without......we have learned to travel lighter and find it more enjoyable to have to keep up with less......

On our cruise last fall we were on the way to the airport in a bus post cruise. A cell phone rang in the row behind us and the person with the phone answered. It was a fellow cruiser calling from the port saying that they had the bag belonging to the person sitting behind us and possibly the person sitting behind us had the bag belonging to the person on the other end of the phone.

At that point, the bus driver took the cell phone and facilitated the switch. The bus company already had a car on the road with the suitcase belonging to the person on the bus and were already headed behind us to the airport.

For reference, this was Port Canaveral and Orlando and the bus company was Go Port Canaveral and they handled it like it was a common occurrence. They also handled it very professionally! I was impressed just watching the drama unfold in front of us!

On the other hand, I don't worry about my luggage outside my door the last night. All the zippers are tight and bound with zip ties. Nothing valuable is in there, my cell phone and tablet and meds are in my carry on and if someone else gets my bag, eh, it is just clothes and large toiletries and maybe a souvenir. They won't like my inexpensive clothes anyway! :D

Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?:(

I hate it, too - but not because I am particularly worried about theft. I am always afraid I will put some essential item in the bags to be collected - despite double and triple checking - and I will miss that item overnight or in the morning. I guess I am somewhat obsessive!
On one cruise on the last night after putting out the luggage I realised my husbands cruise card wasnt in the cabin -- he had left it in his jacket pocket which was now in the suitcase. Fortunately the case was just being wheeled down the hallway with husband chasing after it in his shorts.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I actually lost my cruise card the morning of disembarkation - might have fallen out of my pocket when I got my cell phone out..

No problem - my wife had hers, and they just asked for my name and cabin # when we got off the ship...:)

Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?:(

I ask the same thing!

I don't think about it at all. Been cruising since 1982, some 30+ cruises, 6 cruise lines, only thing in my bag is clothes and shoes. If someone wants it, have at it. I'm not a worrier, never have been concerned.

Well, if someone snatches your bag with nearly ALL your clothing & your vacation is not over, perhaps you might be a tad upset knowing you may have buy all new clothes.

There probably is more risk of someone accidentally taking the wrong luggage when all together in the terminal and being similar colors. I place in my luggage, my name & Cell # & itinerary. I now have been able to get everything I need on a cruise in my carry on so no need to check in or put outside, just keep it with me. .

Once, we were looking for our bags in the terminal at the end of the cruise and found all but one - mine. We looked and looked, got help and was starting the procedure for lost luggage when I saw it in another section. A port worker had put my bag with an orange tag in the pink section. We try to pack light (even with our formal wear) have them do laundry (Elite) and carry our own bags off.

Cheers.

Once, we were looking for our bags in the terminal at the end of the cruise and found all but one - mine. We looked and looked, got help and was starting the procedure for lost luggage when I saw it in another section. A port worker had put my bag with an orange tag in the pink section. We try to pack light (even with our formal wear) have them do laundry (Elite) and carry our own bags off.

Cheers.

Same thing happened to us in January in San Pedro. The representatives were great helping, but I became extremely stressed as we had a fairly tight but easily doable schedule for flights. We (four of us hunting) finally found it in another room, wrong section; they'd confused bronze and gold. By the time we got out, the taxi line up was huge - more stress. We made the flight but I made sure the story was in my post cruise survey as the person helping us said the workers often get similar colours confused. They need to be more careful or change the colours.

Or, someone could take your case off the baggage carousel at the airport without you realising and walk off with it. You seem OK with this process though. Or a baggage handler could steal from it, which is where a lot of thefts from suitcases occur.