Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

mcgratru

On one cruise on the last night after putting out the luggage I realised my husbands cruise card wasnt in the cabin -- he had left it in his jacket pocket which was now in the suitcase. Fortunately the case was just being wheeled down the hallway with husband chasing after it in his shorts.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

No problem. You could just have asked for another.

They pick up the bags pretty quickly. On our last cruise my wife put one bag out in the hall and then came back to close up and put the next bag out. In the 2 minutes she was doing that the first bag had been picked up. All of our valuables and meds are in our hand carried bags so the most anybody would get is our clothing. It would be a major drag but nothing we couldn't recover from. The only time we have ever lost a bag was many years ago when my wife took a Greyhound bus to visit our daughter. The bus was at a stop where more people were boarding and my wife's bag disappeared. Greyhound offered compensation but it was extremely small and came nowhere near to covering the loss. We haven't really worried about it with Princess. I use a bright orange strap around my bags. My wife doesn't bother with it but her luggage isn't black (like so many bags) and she has never had a problem spotting it. As someone else mentioned, I am far more concerned with the airline baggage handlers and the baggage carousel than with the ship luggage handling.

I don't think about it at all. Been cruising since 1982, some 30+ cruises, 6 cruise lines, only thing in my bag is clothes and shoes. If someone wants it, have at it. I'm not a worrier, never have been concerned.

Never mind the clothes: My SUITCASE is valuable. And not replaceable. It's PURPLE!! I love it. They don't make it that color anymore.

Never mind the clothes: My SUITCASE is valuable. And not replaceable. It's PURPLE!! I love it. They don't make it that color anymore.

Perhaps not that same suitcase but there are purple bags available. I know Samsonite sells them in both hard and soft models. Luggage now seems to come in an amazing variety of colors. Some people are even getting wraps for their hard sided luggage. :D

I put padlocks on every case. If the padlock is intact next time I see the bag, it probably has not been tampered with. Again I have a complete set of blue cases with a bold design on them. Luggage tags normally stay on the cases so you can check they are yours. If the cases get stolen, it's an insurance claim.

Regards John

Or, someone could take your case off the baggage carousel at the airport without you realising and walk off with it. You seem OK with this process though. Or a baggage handler could steal from it, which is where a lot of thefts from suitcases occur.

A bold assumption...why the snarkiness?

It is just something I think about and wondered what others think....isn’t that the purpose of these boards? No need to be mean.

lol I read the title and thought the same thing, it’s the worst part of the cruise because this means it’s almost over. Then I read the post and realized that’s not what they meant.

People at airports can do the same thing. That’s why you don’t put valuables in your checked bag. It’s the risk you take but in all my years cruising I have yet to see anyone complain about someone stealing their luggage from the hallway.

A bold assumption...why the snarkiness?
Well, you mentioned it had been out of your control on the ship. But its also out of your control at the airport. But, you didn't bring this up as a worry. So it's right to presume you were OK with that procedure..Not being snarky, just pointing out a valid point.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

We had our luggage taken at the end of our last cruise. Turns out it wasn't malicious, just an older couple who mistook our bag for theirs. They ended up returning it about 6 hours later and we picked it up the next morning. Now we always buy unusual-looking luggage!

I put padlocks on every case. If the padlock is intact next time I see the bag, it probably has not been tampered with. Again I have a complete set of blue cases with a bold design on them. Luggage tags normally stay on the cases so you can check they are yours. If the cases get stolen, it's an insurance claim.

Regards John

Are your padlocks the kind that TSA can open? if not they will cut off the lock if they need to inspect the bag.

Regards John

And what if the locks are gone?

So what good do they do?

Does anybody but me worry about someone putting something INTO the bag while unlocked in the passageway? I don't know how they would plan to retrieve it but I wouldn't want to have to explain to the police that the narcotics aren't mine.

I've had a three bad experiences with my luggage being taken off the ship and not being where it should be in the terminal. Once I stumbled on it off in a corner with a half dozen other bags on the way to put in a claim. Another time, it was located off in a side room but, in the process of searching, lost a paid for excursion I didn't make. Another time, it never did turn up while at the terminal and Celebrity was absolutely no help in finding it. Fortunately, we were staying overnight in Amsterdam and got a tremendous amount of help from the hotel and it was located in the port lost and found. Never mind in all three cases, disembarkation tags were still in place, ID tags in place, and on the inside of the unlocked suitcases, on top, was our itinerary which included hotels, air, phone numbers, etc.

I tote my own bags off now.

Are your padlocks the kind that TSA can open? if not they will cut off the lock if they need to inspect the bag.

No they are not the kind TSA can open, I go with the cutting them off scenario and then I know they have been manually inspected. Most cruises undertaken are non fly cruises. Incidentally if you find your cases have arrived in the cabin at start of cruise and you have lost your key the crew will cut the padlocks off for you. I have seen them with bolt cutters helping passengers.

Regards John

Read the account on these boards years ago. Caribbean cruise out of Miami. On last night, a group (gang) of wonderful teenagers roamed the halls gathering suitcases and proceeded to throw them over board. Missing luggage not discovered until pax, in mass complained about missing bags. The guilty had long left the area. NEVER PACK ANYTHING OF VALUE, CARRY ON/OFF

There was an episode on Disney where kids roamed the halls placing ice cream bars in suitcases....which of course melted into a gunky sludge.

Unfortunately we are not all able bodied and able to carry off all our luggage and assist family members as needed. That makes placing things out the night before basically a necessity. We need to keep the bag with the braces and other medical equipment, which means the one with the clothes has to go out. She goes in the wheelchair and I manage the walker with a couple carry on bags.

Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?:(

Same thing happened to us,only at the terminal in NYC after disembarking the NCL Breakaway. Our bag had a bright orange luggage tag on it. Luckily the person realized it was the wrong bag when they were putting it in the car parked in the lot at the terminal.

I guess we do not have much luck with NCL cruises out of NYC.

A number of years ago, my DH and I were on the Dreamward. We had a female steward. One night ,as we were going to dinner, she complimented me on my outfit.

OK.

We packed our bags for disembarkation and they were taken from the passageway the night before we left the ship.

Before putting the bags outside, we did a clean sweep of the cabin, including drawers,closets and bathroom. The only items left were those we would need for the next day.

When we returned home, the outfit that the stewardess complimented me about was missing !

Was it coincidence ???

In our last two cruises, it was getting more difficult for my husband to handle his larger suitcase, so began packing nothing but the carry On's and we did fine. I fully understand when assisting others be it a wheel chair or using a walker, you can't be dealing with pulling luggage off the ship at the same time so easier to put out at night and get a Porter to assist you once off.