Royal Princess Misses April 30 Disembarkation in LeHavre

tv24

I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago during the Japan tsunami where passengers boarded a Princess ship only to be told after they were already on board that the disembarkation port had been closed and the cruise was going to end early and/or end in a different port. IIRC Princess took no responsibility for that one, either, unless passengers had EZ Air. I remember thinking at that time that, really, all the Passenger Contract promises is the ship will pick up up and keep you for X number of days. What it does and where it goes in the meantime, and where it drops you off is totally at their discretion...except in the case of mechanical failure.

If my memory is correct, then this change in the Passenger Contract wording has been in place for awhile.

Uhhh... Nope.

The ship's scheduled disembarkation port for the cruise.

CAUTION! Lawyers at work. CAUTION! :(

It was the ships disembarkation for the cruise for the 300 passengers that booked the cruise that way. It was not a case of them just wanting to get off early. Their booked cruise ended there.

LaHavre was their scheduled disembarkation for their entire cruise. Princess sold the cruise with either LaHavre or Southampton as the final termination point. It was not just a mid cruise port stop. There were also passengers schedule to embark from there.

However, as it turns out even the passenger bill of rights that was put in place after the Carnival problems in the Gulf, still is restricted on to mechanical problems. So in this case if, for example, the cruise ship could not make it into Southampton and went to another port due to weather, the passengers would also not have any guarantee for the cruise line to get them to Southampton.

Edited by RDC1

This thread makes me shudder. As many others thought, I was sure Princess would be responsible for getting those passengers to their disembarkation port. We have a cruise booked that embarks in Le Havre. If anything goes amiss, it sounds like we’re on our own. We did book a Princess transfer from Paris to Le Havre. I wonder if that would make any difference to Princess. I’ve heard too many horror stories about EZ Air, so we always arrange our own flights. We have good insurance, but I’d prefer not to have to use it.

This is absolutely frightening. They are saying that they can take a passenger anywhere Princess chooses and unless they booked their transportation thru Princess, they will receive no assistance getting to their originally scheduled termination point--or the original embarkation point.

So...if I flew into FLL to board a cruise and due to weather, the ship docked instead at Port Canaveral, Princess would have no obligation to arrange transportation, hold the ship to allow me to get there, or anything else, and that it wasn't their fault they weren't at Port Everglades. WOW!

That's not the way Disney did business when a similar situation actually happened! Port Canaveral was closed due to a hurricane. Our cruise was re-routed to be going out of Port Everglades 3 days later. We were offered the ability to cancel our cruise with a full refund, do the shorter cruise at a 40% refund, and provided with transportation from MCO or WDW to Port Everglades and from Port Canaveral to WDW or MCO when the ship disembarked. I believe they later added some OBC to the benefits as well when the embarkation was delayed later than they'd thought it would be. They also re-routed air for those who had booked air travel thru DCL.

That's not the way Disney did business when a similar situation actually happened! Port Canaveral was closed due to a hurricane. Our cruise was re-routed to be going out of Port Everglades 3 days later. .

Honestly - I don't think this is the same Princess as it was 20 years ago when I first started cruising. I am appalled that this happened but I doubt it would have happened under previous leaderships. Sorry, not a Jan Swartz fan.

That’s awful! What’s crazy to me, too, is that a ferry would even be considered when a gigantic ship isn’t even deemed safe to dock?? I wondered how Le Havre would go this year now that it’s an actual embark/disembark port; I thought that would increase the likelihood of making it there, but maybe it won’t. I really hope Princess made/makes it right for all affected!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Several years ago we did B2B2B 14 days Caribbean cruises. On the 2nd and 3rd there were several hundred under capacity. What they did was on day 11 of the 2nd cruise was have about 300 Puerto Ricans board there and they were scheduled to get off in PR on day 11 of the 3rd cruise. In other words the the Puerto Ricans had a unique 14 day itinerary. On the 3rd cruise a near cat 1 hurricane was in the PR area and we bypassed it. Princess flew all those passengers back to PR from the next port - Princess likely sold the cruise to those customers quite cheap as it took the cabin out of US stock for 2 14 day voyages so by the time they had to pay the extra air Princess sure did not make anything from them.

Sounds like Princess would not do that again.

Many years ago we were booked on the Aurora (P&O) for a World Cruise. The ship boarded many in Southampton only to develop engine problems. After a few attempts to get going; we got to the channel and back for 4/5 days; I'm not sure just how long; cruise was canceled and there were lots of headaches. We were to meet daughters in Asia and instead made major to all meet in Australia and took the Sapphire Princess from Sydney to Hong Kong. P&O took care of our airfare and returned all cruise fares. We were able to convert the airfare to get us to Australia. There was some other compensation (cash) but we were just happy to find a cruise that fit the daughters plans (Their jobs had limits on vacation time)

I was able to call British Air to buy 2 tickets to fly to Paris CDG. Because we have luggage, a low-cost option was not possible. The cost was $1,053.

Did you check into taking a Chunnel train?

I've filed my insurance claim and have spent time with my TA, who is looking into all of this. I promise to let everyone know what happens. I'm still curious what happened to the other passengers and if they are comfortable with service from Princess.

I wonder what happened to the new passengers that were supposed to embark in Le Havre.

This was more than a port of call, Princess sold this as a 14 day Transatlantic ending in Le Harve and a 15 day Transatlantic ending in Southampton. The 14 day was actually more money than the 15 day, at least when I booked. They also sold an April 30 British Isles cruise beginning and ending in Le Harve. That may still mean they don't have any financial responsibility. I was actually wondering if they were assisting passengers finding transportation between to/from Le Harve, not necessarily paying for it. The op mentioned about 300 passengers wound up in Southampton instead of Le Harve, there must have been about the same number left behind in Le Harve.

There is a ferry that runs between Le Havre and Portmouth and back. It departs Portsmouth at 23:30 and arrives LeHavre at 8:30. The Le Havre departure is 22:00 and arrives in Portsmouth at 07:15. It may mean an overnight trip in a reclining seat, but at approximately $60 one way. A pretty cheap cost for those needing to get to Southampton from Le Havre as long as the ferry was running.

Cruise ships have a very large wind surface. So they may be impacted by strong winds when other, ships such as ferries are still running.

Did you check into taking a Chunnel train?

We thought of the Chunnel train, but there were several problems. First, there have been rolling strikes in France that have affected lots of transport including SNCF, the intercity trains including the Chunnel (Eurostar), so we were not sure if April 30 would be a strike day. Next, the internet on board did not work and the telephone codes for using the ship's phones did not work so we were unable to explore options. Finally, we are growing old and have lots of luggage so the prospect of schlepping 4 suitcases and 2 carry-ons from Southampton to Heathrow (via Princess's shuttle), and then from Heathrow to St. Pancras Station, then on to the Eurostar train (which isn't easy; we've done it), was more than a bit overwhelming. So when I finally succeeded at buying air tickets from BA that got me to Paris CDG direct on the 30th, I jumped at the opportunity. Not a good time and space to be shopping around for the cheapest alternative.

Well, this is a surprise. I know in former passage contracts the cruiseline was obligated to get you to your original disembarkation point. In reading the current contract, it appears that is now only in case of mechanical failure on the part of the ship...weather being out of their control and specifically listed in the contract as being not their obligation.

Thank you for posting this.

We're booked for the trans-Atlantic in September from Southampton. Some passengers start a day earlier with embarkation in Le Havre. I guess if the ship misses Le Havre, they could embark in Rotterdam if they couldn't get to Southampton in time.

Regardless of the fine print, that Princess thinks it is acceptable to disembark passengers in a different country with no obligation to get them to their destination seems immoral.

I have just been reading the passage contract that Princess issues here in the UK and it seems to be different to the US. Princess are legally required to comply with the Package Tour Regulations 1992 which has provision for the obligations of the provider when a significant change occurs - even if that change is as a result of force majeure. In such circumstances, ‘the provider will provide equivalent transport back to the place of departure or to another place to which the passenger has agreed......

Obviously, the passenger must be reasonable in their demands but to ask to be taken to the contracted port of disembarkation seems to me to be perfectly reasonable. As usual, what is reasonable is determined by the courts.

We thought of the Chunnel train, but there were several problems. First, there have been rolling strikes in France that have affected lots of transport including SNCF, the intercity trains including the Chunnel (Eurostar), so we were not sure if April 30 would be a strike day. Next, the internet on board did not work and the telephone codes for using the ship's phones did not work so we were unable to explore options. Finally, we are growing old and have lots of luggage so the prospect of schlepping 4 suitcases and 2 carry-ons from Southampton to Heathrow (via Princess's shuttle), and then from Heathrow to St. Pancras Station, then on to the Eurostar train (which isn't easy; we've done it), was more than a bit overwhelming. So when I finally succeeded at buying air tickets from BA that got me to Paris CDG direct on the 30th, I jumped at the opportunity. Not a good time and space to be shopping around for the cheapest alternative.

We also went through this same thought process and same challenges and went ahead and booked BA flights to Paris in business class as that’s all that was available to get there on the 30th. My husband had a prepaid private Normandy tour starting at 6:30am on May 1. With all of the internet and phone challenges, along with the fend-for-yourself approach by Princess, I considered less-expensive options only to quickly dismiss them for the extra hassles we’d have with having to figure out train stations, luggage handling, etc for my husband, my 83-year-old other and myself. We also booked a car service to pick us up at CDG at a much higher cost than planned (we had booked the Princess transfer service from LeHavre into the city) but I wanted an easy transport from the airport to our Paris hotel after such a long day of hassles and almost no sleep on the night of notice.

We do have the Princess insurance plan though booked our own flights. Funnily enough, though not funny at all, I’m writing this from Chicago O’Hare where we’ve been struck for going on 18 hours due to a flight that had one delay after another until we got another late-night notice of a diversion. Our inbound plane went to Milwaukee to avoid a storm in Chicago and we’re in a fend-for-yourself situation again as the airlines won’t cover hotels, food, ground transportation when due to weather.

It’s been a very expensive end to our trip and we’re not home yet :-(

We also went through this same thought process and same challenges and went ahead and booked BA flights to Paris in business class as that’s all that was available to get there on the 30th. My husband had a prepaid private Normandy tour starting at 6:30am on May 1. With all of the internet and phone challenges, along with the fend-for-yourself approach by Princess, I considered less-expensive options only to quickly dismiss them for the extra hassles we’d have with having to figure out train stations, luggage handling, etc for my husband, my 83-year-old other and myself. We also booked a car service to pick us up at CDG at a much higher cost than planned (we had booked the Princess transfer service from LeHavre into the city) but I wanted an easy transport from the airport to our Paris hotel after such a long day of hassles and almost no sleep on the night of notice.

We do have the Princess insurance plan though booked our own flights. Funnily enough, though not funny at all, I’m writing this from Chicago O’Hare where we’ve been struck for going on 18 hours due to a flight that had one delay after another until we got another late-night notice of a diversion. Our inbound plane went to Milwaukee to avoid a storm in Chicago and we’re in a fend-for-yourself situation again as the airlines won’t cover hotels, food, ground transportation when due to weather.

It’s been a very expensive end to our trip and we’re not home yet :-(

Good luck with the insurance covering what you feel is appropriate. Hope you are home safely by now.

Having recently gotten a "deviation" here is the actual process and language. You should make the request (pre cruise) from Princess which can be done directly or through a cruise agent. If Princess agrees to your deviation (early disembarkation) they will send you a completed form which is titled "REQUEST FOR DEVIATION FROM SCHEDULED CRUISE ITINERARY." And the first item on this form says the following: "Princess Cruises is not responsible for missed cruises or any expenses incurred getting to or from the next port of call if the ship does not arrive at the requested port of embarkation or disembarkation, or if the ship is delayed for any reason."

Enough said :).

Hank

Having recently gotten a "deviation" here is the actual process and language. You should make the request (pre cruise) from Princess which can be done directly or through a cruise agent. If Princess agrees to your deviation (early disembarkation) they will send you a completed form which is titled "REQUEST FOR DEVIATION FROM SCHEDULED CRUISE ITINERARY." And the first item on this form says the following: "Princess Cruises is not responsible for missed cruises or any expenses incurred getting to or from the next port of call if the ship does not arrive at the requested port of embarkation or disembarkation, or if the ship is delayed for any reason."

Enough said :).

Hank

Am I not understanding this correctly ?

I thought there was NO deviation from the cruise itinerary. I was under the impression the cruise TV24 booked terminated in Le Havre. It was a 14 day cruise. The cruise terminating in Southampton was a 15 day cruise,

Hopefully the Op will come back and update.

Regardless of the fine print, that Princess thinks it is acceptable to disembark passengers in a different country with no obligation to get them to their destination seems immoral.

I have just been reading the passage contract that Princess issues here in the UK and it seems to be different to the US. Princess are legally required to comply with the Package Tour Regulations 1992 which has provision for the obligations of the provider when a significant change occurs - even if that change is as a result of force majeure. In such circumstances, ‘the provider will provide equivalent transport back to the place of departure or to another place to which the passenger has agreed......

Obviously, the passenger must be reasonable in their demands but to ask to be taken to the contracted port of disembarkation seems to me to be perfectly reasonable. As usual, what is reasonable is determined by the courts.

Yes the UK contract is different from the US version and does include some language driven by PTR1992. All we need is someone that purchased under UK terms that was scheduled to leave in LaHavre (unlikely since most uk passengers would end in Southampton) to see if they were treated any differently.

Am I not understanding this correctly ?

I thought there was NO deviation from the cruise itinerary. I was under the impression the cruise TV24 booked terminated in Le Havre. It was a 14 day cruise. The cruise terminating in Southampton was a 15 day cruise,

Hopefully the Op will come back and update.

Here is TV24, hopefully the OP. We purchased a 14-day crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to LeHavre. Southampton was definitely not on our official itinerary. Hope this helps with a clarification.

We are still waiting to hear anything from AON, the insurance carrier, but that will take a while. Also waiting to hear if ou TA receives any response from Princess. I promise to let you know.

Good luck OP. You seem so cool and rational in a very stressful situation.

I can kind of understand Princess not going out of their way to help a passenger who independently chose to disembark a stop early (we are doing a British Isles cruise Southampton round trip and I’m sure some are disembarking a day early in LeHavre).

But not helping or compensating those who Booked a cruise to end in LeHavre and then being taken elsewhere. Unbelievable. I hope your TA is able to get this resolved and you are able to submit receipts for out of pocket expenses to Princess and have them be reimbursed. This is the right thing for Princess to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was booked on the may 12 british isles cruise departing from Le Havre, and NO it is NOT a "deviation" : the cruise was sold from Le Havre to Le Havre, Le Havre is an "official" embarking/disembarking port for British Isles during the whole 2018 season and, in France, Princess made a lot of publicity about it.

I was very sad because, a few days ago, I had to cancel my cruise for a very serious health problem. This cruise should have been my first with Princess, but reading this, it will be my last booking with them too : I'm horrified by the way they handled the problem. I was on the QEII when she had an accident in Bar Harbour : Cunard immediately organized everything for passengers (complimentary hotel nights, complimentary plane return to London and future cruise vouchers). What a lack of class and respect toward passengers from Princess! All my sympathy to passengers who should disembark/embark in Le Havre.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums