Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

I could believe an American would do this because of sheer ignorance but one would think that a Brit would be more knowledgeable about European geography. Also probably many Venetians are frustrated because tourism now drives the economy and in order to have a healthy economy one needs the influx of tourists. We sort of feel the same in NYC. You can't hardly walk on the sidewalk because of tourists but without strong tourism there would be many unemployed.

Um, exactly how is this supposed to have happened? How would someone drive a car along the Grand Canal?

Seriously, who wrote this drivel? Even if google maps says it is possible, if you've been there you know the size of the bridges (not to mention that most of them include steps), a car couldn't drive over them even if the stupidest driver on earth was behind the wheel.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 3 weeks later...

From a smart catch by Cruisemom42, here is an op-ed column from the New York Times in the past week. It has this headline: "Can We Save Venice Before It’s Too Late?".

Here are some of the highlights: "A rapacious tourist monoculture threatens Venice’s existence, turning the Queen of the Adriatic into a Disneyfied shopping mall. Millions of tourists pour into Venice’s streets and canals each year, profoundly altering the population and the economy. Tourism is tearing apart Venice’s social fabric, cohesion and civic culture, growing ever more predatory. The number of visitors to the city may rise even further now that international travelers are avoiding destinations like Turkey and Tunisia because of fears of terrorism and unrest. This means that the 2,400 hotels and other overnight accommodations the city now has no longer satisfy the travel industry’s appetites."

Lots of good and interesting questions and challenges are outlined in this opinion piece by the chairman of the Louvre Museum’s scientific advisory council and the author of the forthcoming book “If Venice Dies”.

Much of this column is focused on the Italian government and what the author says is when they "failed to stand up to the big money promised by the tourist companies".

Big question and challenge . . . economics versus the environment?? BUT, if no cruise ships and tourists never, ever visited Venice in the future, would it mean that this historic town would stop sinking? Lots of good questions!! What is the best, smart solution that would really fix and save this historic treasure? Just stopping all tourism there would create other problems and issues, too!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/opinion/can-we-save-venice-before-its-too-late.html?ref=world&module=Slide&region=SlideShowTopBar&version=SlideCard-1&action=Click&contentCollection=Opinion&slideshowTitle=Our%20Endangered%20Heritage&currentSlide=1&entrySlide=1&pgtype=imageslideshow

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 155,076 views for this posting.

• 1 month later...

From the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they have this headline: "20 greatest destinations in Italy - and the best time to visit" with this lead sentence: "From the splendour of Rome, the colour of Venice’s Carnevale, the art of Florence and the quaint trulli homes of Puglia, Italy is a country of year-long delights."

Lots of great details and visuals are included if you are considering your options for in and around Italy. While it might not work for cruise purposes, they cite this point for doing Venice in the winter: "Always beautiful, always alluring, always romantic and never disappointing: you can’t go wrong with Venice at almost any time of year. But, there is a special magic to the city in winter. On clear days, the canals sparkle in the sunlight, and you can see the snow-capped Dolomites on the horizon. In February you can also choose between crowd-free sights coupled with bargain prices, or the excitement and glamour of the Carnival (February 11-28, 2017)."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/articles/best-italy-holidays-guide-advice/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 44,820 views for these postings.

• 3 months later...
What's not to love? Truly a unique city. We have enjoyed every visit and plan to return again.

Appreciate this above excellent summary on wonderful Venice by the experienced iancal. Yes!! Yes!!

From the Fairfax newspapers in New Zealand Feb. 1, they have this headline: "How to see to see Venice without the heat or the crowds" with these highlights: "I make my husband and children close their eyes as we exit Santa Lucia station. Their jaws drop, and they gaze in wonder at the scene before them, which has changed little over hundreds of years. It doesn't get better than arriving in Venice by train. One minute you're inside a Fascist era railway station, the next you feel like you've stepped into a Canaletto painting as you stand beside the Grand Canal watching gondolas, water taxis, barges and vaporetti float by."

Wonderful writing, details, ideas and style in this profile of Venice in the winter when the crowds and congestion are less challenge. My first visit to Venice was in December 1970 as a college student. It was like being a resident as we could walk around and soak up this great city, its unique history and architecture, etc., without feeling crowded out by mobs of tourists.

This writer makes many wonderful observations on Venice that bring back excellent memories from our four visits there. Here are more of her observations and sharing: "There's no denying Venice is expensive. If you don't walk everywhere getting around can be costly – a three-day pass for the network of vaporetti costs €40, a single one-way ticket is €7.50 – and gondola rides – the ultimate Venetian tourist cliche – are extortionate. In my years of visiting the city I've always avoided them, so I immediately dismiss my daughter's request. She eventually wears me down, finding a gondolier near our apartment who's willing to cut a deal. Cliches aside, it's a lovely thing to do as you quietly float through the water, although not especially comfortable and a bit scary when you end up in the middle of the Grand Canal with vaporetto bearing down on you from all directions. One of the wonders of Venice, at any time of year, but especially in winter, is that it's quiet. Blissfully quiet. There are no cars, no traffic."

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/europe/italy/88973442/travel-to-venice-in-winter-how-to-see-to-see-venice-without-the-heat-or-the-crowds

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,332 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

What's not to love? Truly a unique city. We have enjoyed every visit and plan to return again.

Ditto :). The first few times we visited Venice (on land and sea) we used to spend much of our time at the usual tourist hang-outs of St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge area. At that time our feelings about Venice were that we could take it or leave it. But on subsequent visits we started avoiding those two main tourist areas...and exploring lots of back streets (on Venice) and areas not routinely frequented by tourists. That is when we began to truly enjoy Venice (and the nearby islands in the Lagoon). Now, we seldom venture anywhere St Marks Square during the busy daytime (if staying in Venice we might walk over to St Marks Square after 5pm...when most of the day tours are gone.

Hank

The first few times we visited Venice (on land and sea) we used to spend much of our time at the usual tourist hang-outs of St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge area. At that time our feelings about Venice were that we could take it or leave it. But on subsequent visits we started avoiding those two main tourist areas...and exploring lots of back streets (on Venice) and areas not routinely frequented by tourists. That is when we began to truly enjoy Venice (and the nearby islands in the Lagoon). Now, we seldom venture anywhere St Marks Square during the busy daytime (if staying in Venice we might walk over to St Marks Square after 5pm...when most of the day tours are gone.

Hank

Exactly my sentiments :) The same can be said of Florence - there seems to be no time that Via dei Calzaiuoli is not bustling with tourists and tour groups (and I have even visited in the winter while it was raining - although not nearly as busy as summer, it was still busy). However, a few streets east and west of the main tourist route (or the other side of the Arno) the experience is totally different.

Question we are cruising on the Brilliance of the Seas in September and one of our ports is Venice is it worth taking a tour or doing our own thing. If a tour is recommended can you recommend any places to go to see

Radtech

Question we are cruising on the Brilliance of the Seas in September and one of our ports is Venice is it worth taking a tour or doing our own thing. If a tour is recommended can you recommend any places to go to see. Radtech

caripoo: Thank you so much for your beautiful pictures....Venice is the last part of my favorite country I have not seen....Will be there for the first time in October.......I really enjoyed your pictures!!

Appreciate these added posts' date=' including the kind and nice comments from caripoo.

For radtech from North Carolina, it is a good question as to . . . [b']guide or no guide???[/b] You can do much on your own Venice. Walking around there is super great!!! BUT, it gets to your personal interests and how much "depth" you seek and desire to know more about what you are seeing and doing in Venice.

Tell us more!! What do you most like to do and explore? How much previous experience have you had in Europe? Seeking history? Shopping? Culture? Nature? Food? Arts? Architecture? Music? Wildlife? Being more "aggressive" in doing more? Or, being more relaxed and laid-back? How flexible is your budget? Spending more sometimes does allow you to see and experience more and in very "special" locations.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 209,228 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 months later...
For many years we have posted how much we enjoy visiting Venice (whether on sea or land) but prefer to avoid St Marks Square. We think that a lot of the charm of Venice lies outside its major overcrowded tourist centers. But apparently nobody is listening. I would just add that based on our own observations of Italy and its politics, we view this "ticketing" thread as unlikely to ever happen. But we also think it might again cause the issue of too many cruise ships (and their route through the Giudecca Canal) come back to the forefront. While it is difficult to limit crowds in Venice...it is relatively to limit cruise ships. Hank

On another part of this board, Hank shared this UK Telegraph article, plus his comments. My sense is that the cruise ships and their numbers are NOT the biggest issue. My sense is that the "day-trippers" are a more challenging part of the puzzle. Wish that I knew the perfect answer to "fix" it all. Whether it be Venice, Barcelona and other busy cities, there are reactions by residents against having too many tourists. BUT, if their national/local economies are not that good, what is the alternative compared to seeking tourist money in order to have the jobs and money to keep things operating and working well in these historic cities?

From the London/UK Independent today, they have this headline: “Venice Planning to Charge Entry to its Historic City Centre” with these highlights: Venice has taken a step closer towards Barcelona’s deliberate discouragement of tourists by bringing in people-counters at the city’s most popular sites, and planning to introduce a ticketing system for Piazza San Marco, the main square. A city council meeting last Thursday approved plans to effect the changes as quickly as possible. Initially, the counters will merely register the number of people at popular sites in the hope of deterring visitors from over-subscribed places such as Piazza San Marco and the Doge’s Palace, rather than capping numbers. But ultimately, according to local newspapers, the council plans ticketed entry to the 'area marciana' around the city’s most famous square. Paid-for tickets to book entrance into Piazza San Marco 'is an eventuality that exists, though not immediately', local paper Il Gazzettino reported, adding that any ticketing would be introduced 'as part of an agreed route'. The council has also announced plans to bring in new maps highlighting lesser known routes around Venice.

Here are links to these two articles to check for more information on these latest plans/proposals:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-piazza-san-marco-fee-charges-cost-introduction-city-centre-luigi-brugnaro-dario-franceschini-a7714166.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...-marks-square/

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

We have been to Venice several times, and seen all the sights that needed to be seen. After reading Terry's information above, I am glad that I won't be going back to that city.

Your post reminds me of a good friend who told us, "we finally got to Paris for a few hours and have now seen everything!" Must admit we are impressed that you have seen "all the sights that needed to be seen" in a few visits. We have been to Venice about 10 times (including several multi-night stays in various hotels and are still discovering new things (to be seen) on every visit :). A wise man (me) once said, "you only know what you have seen and done, but have no clue as to what you have missed."

Hank

Your post reminds me of a good friend who told us, "we finally got to Paris for a few hours and have now seen everything!" Must admit we are impressed that you have seen "all the sights that needed to be seen" in a few visits. We have been to Venice about 10 times (including several multi-night stays in various hotels and are still discovering new things (to be seen) on every visit :). A wise man (me) once said, "you only know what you have seen and done, but have no clue as to what you have missed."

Hank

Hank,

You make a goof point. I suppose it is impossible to see everything, even if you lived in the city for a while. However, I have been to Venice about 7-8 time and covered what I want to see in my life. Also, there are other places in the World that I have not seen. I have been to 70 countries not including a couple that don't exist anymore.

I am nearing 70 and do not have an infinite number of foreign trips considering my life expectancy.

I am a lover of Italy and will be going back there in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
Your post reminds me of a good friend who told us, "we finally got to Paris for a few hours and have now seen everything!" Must admit we are impressed that you have seen "all the sights that needed to be seen" in a few visits. We have been to Venice about 10 times (including several multi-night stays in various hotels and are still discovering new things (to be seen) on every visit :). A wise man (me) once said, "you only know what you have seen and done, but have no clue as to what you have missed." Hank

Appreciate these additional thoughts and follow-ups from the wise CC Board experts from Pennsylvania and Georgia. Great sharing!! We agree strongly for exploring some of the "other" streets and locations around and in Venice. That's excellent fun and very interesting to get away from the over-run places during the peak, day-tripper periods in Venice. Would like to get back to Italy, but have other places where we have never been able to experience for the first time. This includes for next month in doing our first visit to Portugal. That trip will push my total for the number Europe nations visited up to 23 countries. Looking forward to seeing Lisbon, Porto, Fatima, etc., plus first-time stops in NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc.

From CNN News on May 10, they have this headline: Venice bans cheap takeout joints to keep city beautiful with these highlights: Venetians are fed up with the subpar food being sold to tourists on their streets. So they're taking action: The city council has approved a rule that prohibits the opening of new takeout joints that sell meals such as kebabs or pizza by the slice. The move makes Venice the latest European city to fight back against the negative effects of increased tourism. The encroachment of cheap takeout joints in the city center is a major worry for local officials, who say the trend detracts from Venice's beauty and cultural heritage.

Interesting move??!! How effective legally? Not sure "cheap" food is always bad. Or, that more costly food is consistently better. This is another "experiment" by Venice and other key cities to manage their tourism opportunities and challenges. Will be watching to see how all of these ideas actually work in real life.

Full story at:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/10/news/venice-italy-takeout-fast-food-tourism/

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 179,676 views for this posting.

• 1 month later...

Just thought that I would report back and appreciate those on Cruise Critic for all of their tips and ideas.

LATEST ADVENTURE??!!: Just got back from three weeks in Europe doing five days in Lisbon, sailing from Portugal, seeing for the first time NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Great sights and sites! Below are a few "samples" to prove the value for exploring these wonderful areas. For many more pictures and full details, check out this live/blog:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,521 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

• 10 months later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail this past week, they have this headline: Venice’s Rialto Bridge: How, when and why you should visit the city’s oldest bridge with these highlights: The oldest of the four bridges that arch over Venice’s Grand Canal, Rialto Bridge sits proudly in the busiest part of the Floating City. For eons it was the only way to cross the canal on foot, and to this day remains an essential crossing for Venetians. Visitors can enjoy its striking architecture, visit the souvenir stalls, and soak in Rialto’s vibrant atmosphere.

Yes, this famed bridge is one of the key, unique highlights to experience in Venice. This story also shared these added tips/insights: "The best time to visit Rialto Bridge depends on whether you’d rather avoid the crowds or want to visit the surrounding markets. If you’re only seeking the Rialto Bridge, it’s best to avoid the crowds. The area is always busy, but early in the morning less so – or go late at night when the markets are shut. Sunset is a beautiful time to visit, with the southern side of the bridge offering a glorious view of the gondolas pulling up to the grand buildings lining the canal." This profile has many other, interesting details on the Rialto Bridge, pictures, etc. Brings back nice memories!!

From our most recent "adventure" in Southeast Asia, you can see a few sample visuals below, plus how to connect for more details and pictures, etc., on the full live/blog.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/destinations/article-5687173/guide-visiting-rialto-bridge-venice.html

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

There are some cities that we have visited multiple times, usually for at least three days, that we always re visit. Sometimes with absolutely no agenda other than to walk about aimlessly or re-visit a museum. Venice is one of those cities, along with Paris, Rome, Istanbul, and London. Each time we go we see and/or experience something that we had previously missed. We also tend to purposely book accommodation in different parts of the city each time we visit. And at different times of the year.

If you like walking, Venice is a great city to get lost in. Especially at the end of the day as the sun sets. Some of the residential areas are very interesting and have some unique bars and cafes.

There are some cities that we have visited multiple times, usually for at least three days, that we always re visit. Sometimes with absolutely no agenda other than to walk about aimlessly or re-visit a museum. Venice is one of those cities, along with Paris, Rome, Istanbul, and London. Each time we go we see and/or experience something that we had previously missed. If you like walking, Venice is a great city to get lost in. Especially at the end of the day as the sun sets. Some of the residential areas are very interesting and have some unique bars and cafes.

Appreciate these above wise comments and this follow-up from iancal for the greatness of Venice as an excellent "walking around" city. Agree 100% for sampling this amazing city at different times of the day and year. Being there when the travel masses have left is such a much better and more spectacular experience.

From the London/UK Guardian on May 1, they have this headline: Venice poised to segregate tourists as city braces itself for May Day 'invasion' with this sub-head: "Metal barriers aimed at separating visitors and locals on key routes into Venice are expected to be put to use on 1 May despite protests by locals against the controversial measure".

Here are some more of the story highlights: Venice’s controversial mayor, Luigi Brugnaro, announced that a radical solution to the city’s overcrowding problem would be trialled over the bank holiday: the setting up of metal tornelli (turnstiles) at two key entry points: the Calatrava Bridge at Piazzale Roma, where car and coaches arrive, and Lista di Spagna, outside the railway station. The decision was made after the Easter weekend when 125,000 visitors descended on the city on Easter Sunday. The intention is to segregate tourists from locals on the main routes into the city historic centre if incoming visitor numbers become uncontrollable.

As noted in this article, there is more to come on this question as to how Venice can better handle and manage its popularity with a pressured and limited infrastructure. Stay tuned!!! More to come!!!

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/may/01/venice-to-segregate-tourists-in-may-day-overcrowding

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 224,976 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Some cities, we cannot get enough of. We love Venice and have stayed in multiple areas, last time we had a beautiful apartment in Cannaregio. It gives you an idea of what it is like to live as a Venetian, discovering the hidden local bakery, stores. Time for cicchetti and spritz o’clock. We love going during the Biennale and enjoying the amazing art. Mostly we love wandering!

Some cities, we cannot get enough of. We love Venice and have stayed in multiple areas, last time we had a beautiful apartment in Cannaregio. It gives you an idea of what it is like to live as a Venetian, discovering the hidden local bakery, stores. Time for cicchetti and spritz o’clock. We love going during the Biennale and enjoying the amazing art. Mostly we love wandering!

Appreciate this excellent above post. We would love to spend a week in Venice and live there "LIKE A LOCAL"!! How wonderful!!

From the London/UK Independent late last month, they have this headline: “35 Trips Every Couple Should Take in their Lifetime” with Venice being one of their top, highly-suggested cities in this desired must-see category.

Among the highlights for Venice, they noted: It might be cheesy, but there's nothing like floating down Venice's many labyrinthine waterways on a gondola. The city has a mysterious aura, and is filled with secret passageways and stunning palaces."

In this region around and near Italy, they also suggested: "A picturesque city bordering the Adriatic Sea, Dubrovnik is a historical gem, featuring limestone streets and architecture ranging from baroque to renaissance to Gothic. The Old Town is surrounded by stone walls that date back to the 1500s." And, also: "With its rugged coastline and colorful fishing villages built right into cliffs that overlook the Mediterranean, the Amalfi Coast is an Italian gem. There are beaches to lounge on, stone streets to explore, and plenty of tasty seafood to eat."

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/best-romantic-holidays-couples-a8328056.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 38,525 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From this article and the many cities/areas cited, this is the picture from Venice used to illustrate this story about must-see locations for couples.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-06%20at%206.01.12%20PM_zpskigsqgsn.png

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, Venice, Amalfi coast, Cinqueterre, Tuscany etc ...

Can't wait to go back :D

We also like getting to less touristy places, as some places have become so overrun the charm is eroded like the cliffs in the cinque terre. We found the area around Trieste delightful and uncrowded. Also Matera and Puglia are other very interesting areas.