Anytime Dining problems on Emerald?

tillys mom

We sail soon on Emerald round trip Seattle, and I just read about an Emerald cruise that had long lines for anytime dining. Has anyone experienced this? Did you find a solution? We like to eat early so we can get a seat at the early show, but standing in line for more than 5-10 minutes will have us looking somewhere else for food. How was the buffet?:p

Sailed Emerald 'Around the Horn', in January this year. (2018)

Found no long lines when using the MDR.

This may have been because many South American passengers prefer to eat later.

Buffet was fine. Not too busy. Selections were varied.

Didn't see queuing for Club Dining,

We did the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise...just got off April 27th. Anytime dining lines started about 430p and were long. The later you eat the better, but most, probably due to age , wanted to eat early, see the 8pm in show and snuggle in by 9p

Seeing an 8p show was frustrating if you didn’t get there 45-1 hour early💕

We had AT but a set table and time for 10 friends.. worked out ok for us .

Good luck

You have to feel things out. Each cruise has a different passenger demographic. Alaska should be a younger crowd, not lined up @ 4:30 like a nursing home waiting for the doors to open. You probably will not have difficulty if you get to the DR around 5:30. Sometimes theater shows are early, 7:00 and then 9:00. On those evenings we go to the early show then dine either in the DR or Horizon Ct. Horizon Ct. food is OK, some evenings better than others. They sometimes have theme nights.Watch the Patter.

You have to feel things out. Each cruise has a different passenger demographic. Alaska should be a younger crowd, not lined up @ 4:30 like a nursing home waiting for the doors to open. .

Alaska generally has an older demographic! Also a huge amount of first time cruisers who wouldn't cruise but it is Alaska.

We also just got off the Emerald 28 Day cruise and the reference to long lines at 4:30 was a little exaggerated also the initial line goes very fast as the Dining Room is a good size.

We also had very good luck making reservations on the Dine Line x6219 starting at 0800. After a little while they gave us a permanent reservation (I don't know if that is an Elite perk or good for everyone).

If you have a chance ask for a table in Mabel's section as she is a very good Waiter.

Have a great cruise.

We went on the around the Horn trip in January. We had no problems with anytime dining at all, but we like to eat late--usually went around 8 or so, but sometimes closer to 9.

There were a lot of South Americans on board and they did tend to dine quite late, but we still had little to no waits and always asked for a table for two. The longest wait was probably 5 minutes, if that. We made no reservations.

I always see long lines for the very early times; I just don't want to start getting ready at 4 or 5 o'clock!

We sail soon on Emerald round trip Seattle, and I just read about an Emerald cruise that had long lines for anytime dining. Has anyone experienced this? Did you find a solution? We like to eat early so we can get a seat at the early show, but standing in line for more than 5-10 minutes will have us looking somewhere else for food. How was the buffet?:p

Any time dining is like a land based restaurant. You arrive at the restaurant and when a table becomes available, they seat you. How many times have you willingly waited more than 10 minutes for a table at a land based restaurant. A 5-10 minute wait at any restaurant is hardly a long wait.

DON

I'm currently on the Emerald burning off my internet minutes (we are off tomorrow). The room we were in (Club Class) was fixed seating until 7:30 then opened to Anytime. It was never very full at 7:30 and I saw maybe 5 parties in line waiting for it to switch.

Any time dining is like a land based restaurant. You arrive at the restaurant and when a table becomes available, they seat you. How many times have you willingly waited more than 10 minutes for a table at a land based restaurant. A 5-10 minute wait at any restaurant is hardly a long wait.

DON

That's what I was thinking when I read 5-10 minutes. :D

After all, it is a cruise ship with others also sailing with you.

I think the OP should consider club class where your table will be waiting for you. :cool:(even though I heard some people do have to wait 5-10 minutes during the most busy periods)

Hmm, I guess you have your choice on this point!! :confused::confused:

Tom

I think that in general, Alaska is older but ....

The seven day cruises may go a bit younger, as will cruises during July and August due to family vacations.

The 12 day that just ended seemed to be mostly older people - at times it was like wheelchair, walker, scooter etc bumper cars.

Just off the Emerald and had Anytime dining for the 1st time. We arrived between 7:00-7:30 and was only given a beeper once. Found friends (with a beeper also) and decided to share a table which was available right away. If there was a line it was only a few people and moved swiftly. We sometimes sat at a table for 2, other times at a shared table. Had fun either way.

We just got off the 12 day also. Only ate in the Main dining 3 times and went aroung 6-7:30 and only waited 5 mins.

We looked at the dining room menu early in the day and nothing sounded good so ate at the buffet most of the trip. It was delicious for breakfast and dinner. Never had it for lunch.

Ate at the Crown Grill once and my filet was perfect, my husband's Rib Eye was small and thin.

Ate at the Salty Dog once. Excellent meal!!

I just got off the Emerald on Sunday and I felt the lines were long for Anytime Dining, especially the first night. But the first night, everyone was crowding around everywhere. I think it was due to this being a short repositioning Cruise with many first time cruisers. I also felt that the specialty restaurants were understaffed as they were swamped and had many empty tables.

Still enjoyed it.

You have to feel things out. Each cruise has a different passenger demographic. Alaska should be a younger crowd, not lined up @ 4:30 like a nursing home waiting for the doors to open. You probably will not have difficulty if you get to the DR around 5:30. Sometimes theater shows are early, 7:00 and then 9:00. On those evenings we go to the early show then dine either in the DR or Horizon Ct. Horizon Ct. food is OK, some evenings better than others. They sometimes have theme nights.Watch the Patter.

We did the Star last June and found 6pm Anytime a slight wait (5-10 mins), but reasonable. You get seated faster (and hear of more adventures) if you are willing to share a table with others; we did that about half the time and made some neat connections.

I think that in general, Alaska is older but ....

The seven day cruises may go a bit younger, as will cruises during July and August due to family vacations.

The 12 day that just ended seemed to be mostly older people - at times it was like wheelchair, walker, scooter etc bumper cars.

The one ways are actually older. Mostly people who are also doing a land trip.