Princess Newbie - What is this SANCTUARY I am reading about?

I am going on my honeymoon on Crown Princess 12/7/18 and am reading about this Sanctuary. We are booked in an inside, so this sounds appealing to me for sea days. I have pricing, but what other amenities are there other than private loungers?

The Sanctuary is an area of the ship (bow / top deck) that is screened in and has very comfy loungers and even an area for couple's massages.

A waiter / butler? will take your orders from a menu and deliver your food and drinks to you, bring you towels, etc. It will spoil you if you like solitude in a comfy setting!

I think there is an additional charge for the food / drink items that you order but maybe still no charge for the fruit infused water and towels.

It can get chilly on cooler days up there as it is a sunblocking fabric that is used to encase the Sanctuary but with open areas to let the breeze flow through.

I don't believe children are allowed ... and you will have close access to the Sanctuary pool (accessible to all adults) and the spa area for restroom needs.

On some cruises, we never see a another soul up there and on some, it books up early for the entire cruise.

We've never really found it a necessity but it would be a nice place to enjoy some relaxation outside of your cabin or get a couples massage while still kind of outside.

It is basically a quiet, comfy place to hang out, unless others up there get loud (which has been reported). You are essentially buying a comfy chair reserved for you. Yes there are people who will get food and beverages for you--you pay for the items, but not for their service in bringing it to you.

There are plenty of public areas that you can hang out and have a lounge chair, but those places are not as comfy, not reserved, and you have to get your own "stuff." Only you can assess whether the service and reserved spot is worth $40 per day.

We love the Sanctuary! Nice and quiet, relaxing and good service. Lounge chairs are reserved for you - no bother with chair hogs by the pool. You can book all day or half day. We book afternoons on sea days. Some ships have a small pool inside the Sanctuary (Coral), on others you have to walk a short distance to the nearby pool. We show up at noon and are given a lunch menu (no extra charge) that I think is the same as the spa menu. Throughout the day they will refill your flavored ice water or fetch you a drink from the bar (charged to your room or drink package). At 3pm they have tea service. This includes a plate full of mini sandwiches and another plate full of yummy deserts. No charge. After lunch and tea you won't want an early dinner. Some cruises the Retreat books up quickly for sea days and you are advised to go there and make reservations as soon as you board the ship. For us it's a no brainer.

It is basically a quiet' date=' comfy place to hang out, unless others up there get loud (which has been reported). You are essentially buying a comfy chair reserved for you. Yes there are people who will get food and beverages for you--you pay for the items, but not for their service in bringing it to you.

There are plenty of public areas that you can hang out and have a lounge chair, but those places are not as comfy, not reserved, and you have to get your own "stuff." Only you can assess whether the service and reserved spot is worth $40 per day.[/quote']

One correction..... Yes drinks other than ice water are charged to your room or drink package. Food (lunch and tea service which included mini-sandwiches and deserts) is no charge.

One correction..... Yes drinks other than ice water are charged to your room or drink package. Food (lunch and tea service which included mini-sandwiches and deserts) is no charge.

Correct---you pay for those items which would have a charge if you obtained them elsewhere. Items which are included with the cruise fare are free in the Sanctuary as well.

Correct---you pay for those items which would have a charge if you obtained them elsewhere. Items which are included with the cruise fare are free in the Sanctuary as well.

Actually to get any food delivered which is included in the cruise fare like a hot dog or pizza does come with a $3 charge per person. Along with that they also have a nice spa food menu and you can order as much of that as well as hot dogs, burgers or pizza at the same time and it's all a $3 charge.

If you have the beverage or soda package, you will not pay to have anything included in this. Of course tipping the stewards in the Sanctuary is always encouraged when you use them for these services.

The Sanctuary is a place that I absolutely LOVE and we are in here on every cruise we have done since they came up with the idea. This last 5 day sailing I did only purchase sea days but we always do purchase a weekly pass. The seats are extremely comfortable, you pick your lounge chair and it's yours for the day/days you book. They will get your cocktails, bring you cold water either plain, with fruit or with cucumbers in it all day long. They will also come around at some point and spritz your face with Evian!

I have never in all my sailings found it loud in there. It's always on the quiet side, perhaps people are talking a bit. Especially if they are having lunch in the main sitting area in the Regal/Royal Sanctuary but honestly have only really read one poster on here complain about noise.

The tea service at 3 pm is amazing. Tea and coffee, small sandwiches, fresh scones with cream and jam and small desserts. Our friend requires everything to be gluten free and they always brought him his own items on a daily basis.

The cost is $20 for a half day, $40 for a full day and $30 a day if you reserve for your entire sailing.

It's honestly my favorite place on a Princess ship and one of the things that does keep me coming back on here. I was in the Haven on the NCL Getaway and though I loved the lounge and dining, I didn't feel that the pool/deck area came close to the Sanctuary.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but depending on the itinerary and expected weather, the Sanctuary can book up VERY FAST. If we are on a warm weather trip, we always race up to the Sanctuary immediately upon boarding, before even ditching our carry-ons in the room. Even then, around noon or so, as lowly Platinums, we are behind others in the line and don't usually get the best loungers. Still, as others have said, it's well worth it.

I am going on my honeymoon on Crown Princess 12/7/18 and am reading about this Sanctuary. We are booked in an inside, so this sounds appealing to me for sea days. I have pricing, but what other amenities are there other than private loungers?

On some itineraries (AK etc.) the Sanctuary isn't even open. The pool area was drained on Star to AK last June, and covered area never open. At the other end of the ship the AFT Skywalkers club area is often calm & quiet with great views during the day.

Enjoy!