Travel Agent Discount ?

Tedferg

i read an informative river cruise site that claimed that all TA charge the same price. Their logic was that cruise companies would not risk alienating passengers by favoring one TA over another. Especially with reduced passenger size on river cruises versus ocean cruises. I guess the point is that passenger details are more likely to be known by others in a smaller group.

This makes sense to me, what is your experience ?

We are considering our first cruise and doing initial research.

TAs do charge the same price, but, you can find many that either give cash rebates or OBC. Also if you look through the stickies, many RC lines offer referrals. If you are referred by a former client, you both receive credit towards your next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My TA's agency gives discounts and/or OBC, and I've received discounts for attending a cruise show and booking there or shortly afterwards. The discounts may not be advertised but may be available if you call.

Roz

My TA discounts about 10% on Uniworld river (and Princess ocean) cruises. It's never advertised; we just ask her for her best price. I prefer receiving a discount and not an OBC especially on Uniworld cruises since there is hardly anything to spend your OBC on!

My TA discounts about 10% on Uniworld river (and Princess ocean) cruises. It's never advertised; we just ask her for her best price. I prefer receiving a discount and not an OBC especially on Uniworld cruises since there is hardly anything to spend your OBC on!

This happened to me. I ended up buying 2 pairs of earrings from the gift shop.

Roz

Uniworld has recently changed their policy. Discounts from TA's now have to be given in the form of a post cruise rebate. (Recently being the past few months)

Robin

Did this happen around the same time they quit giving the 5% discount for repeat customers?

Roz

Last year my TA was able to discount our Uniworld cruise.

This year he said that was no longer allowed by Uniworld, nor could he give us OBC. He did offer a rebate that will be sent to us after completion of the cruise.

We will get OBC from Amex as platinum card holders.

Did this happen around the same time they quit giving the 5% discount for repeat customers?

Roz

The 5% was only in effect for 1-2 years, and has returned to flat discounts, depending on which cruise/duration is booked. In some cases, it is more than 5%.

My TA was able to discount my cruise this year, but said he would have to rebate next year's.

Robin