Don't go on cruise without?

FraserK

I keep a list of current medical conditions, medicines and name and number of my Doctor. I have seen people so stressed about an injury/illness that they cannot remember any of this. I keep a current list on me at all times, traveling or not. Just a good thing to have.

Depending on how many devices you have, a 4-way can be useful . We have readers x 2, camera batteries x 2, phones x 2 and tablet all of which need charging up - some more than others and hair tongs etc need an outlet too. Since you are told not to leave anything plugged in when not in your cabin, or even overnight and we like to be out and about as much as possible - on the ship or at Ports of Call the 'windows' for charging narrow down - getting ready in the morning, for our evening meal and for a time settling down for bed. I think we would struggle without the 4-way to keep everything charged up.

You don't need to take a huge 4 way gang with all those plugs and leads..instead just take a 4 or 6 way usb hub. only take up 1 socket and we charge all of our stuff ok. takes up less space less weight..and you don't need all the plugs, just the leads for the items. I got our off of amazon..rav 4 I think. so impressed we use it at home all the time as well.

Magnets for the cabin walls.

Jam - we’ve only you cruised Celebrity and their jam is like jelly, yuck.

Bottle opener.

One of those ice bags for sprains, just in case.

Hand cream, the hand sanitiser always makes my hands dry and itchy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What I take depends if it's a trip from Southampton or a fly cruise. If it's a fly cruise then yes we take a 4 way thing for charging. I always take cellotape, stugeron tablets for sea sickness, pack clothes on wire hangers - they're not very heavy and it saves so much time unpacking. We put the horrible wooden ones that hook on into our empty cases under the bed and put them back when we leave. I will always take a proper cup and saucer as I hate the thick mugs provided.

However, if we're going from Southampton then I'll take all sorts of extras. After our last long cruise I realised how much I missed some decent salad dressing so I'd take a squeezy bottle of that, plus my favourite marmalade. Last time I took coffee bags as the coffee on board is awful. I also take some squash as you can't get that on board and you can't buy it at many places abroad either.

Good list so far. I have just checked my list to see what we take that hasn't been mentioned yet. I would add: blank cards for thank yous, sun hats, sewing kit, cash for tips, small pair scissors, torch, plasters, air fresheners (free standing to make the cabin & bathroom always smell nice when we go in), diarrhoea medication, roll small plastic bags, clip its, super glue, washing powder tablets with built in softener, rubber gloves (for hand washing).

Hope this helps for packing. Go and enjoy the experience and cruise your own way.

The one thing that I always take with me is a hanging shoe organizer. Great for shoes, books, electronic, etc. hang it on the bathroom door and All is good or get a magnetic hook and put it where it works for you.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Blister plasters

Mini flameless candles (put a couple in the bathroom on a night and there is no need to put the light on)

Favorite bar of chocolate (I'm not a dessert lover but do love some chocolate)

Definitely books, there isn't any choice on the ship, either in the library or the shop. When I have read them I give them to the cabin steward, they have some bookshelves which the staff can pick from.

Magnifying glass to fix the small screws in glasses and small screwdrivers for same purpose.

I've never found it useful to take the 'cruise essentials' that people talk about (check the New Cruisers forum!) such as highlighters, duct tape, over the wall shoe holder, extension cable, washing line, magnets etc. I took them on our first cruise then never used them.

However, if you plan on sunbathing then I find beach towel clips useful- you can get them around £1 for 4 on ebay. Cruise ships are windy!

But, when sharing a cabin- especially an interior with no window or balcony door to open- my number 1 essential is a bottle of VIPOO ;)

You don't need to take a huge 4 way gang with all those plugs and leads..instead just take a 4 or 6 way usb hub. only take up 1 socket and we charge all of our stuff ok. takes up less space less weight..and you don't need all the plugs, just the leads for the items. I got our off of amazon..rav 4 I think. so impressed we use it at home all the time as well.

Thanks for that - definitely useful for phones, tablets etc but we have some items which aren't USB - both our cameras have battery chargers with 3 pin plugs also my hair tongs and with only one socket I think we would struggle without a 4 way.

Thanks for that - definitely useful for phones, tablets etc but we have some items which aren't USB - both our cameras have battery chargers with 3 pin plugs also my hair tongs and with only one socket I think we would struggle without a 4 way.

They are also a good idea if the usb socket is at the bottom of the plug. The sockets are too close to the table top.

- My Kindle (loaded with tons of stuff)

- Nail clippers. I hate it when my nails get above a certain length (being a bloke).

- Quality sliced cheese - since they took it off the room service breakfast menu.

I was also going to make a joke about taking a spare pair of underpants on cruises in excess of 7 days, in case something happend to my main pair. But I thought it might seem a tad tasteless and decided against it. This is P & O after all :D

This thread reminds me of our younger days when the only holiday we could afford was under canvas. The one thing essential for a camping holiday then was always the matches - can have as much cooking equipment, tins and other food to cook with you, but no good at all without the matches, which were very easily forgotten!!

Anyone else have a similar holiday history :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ear plugs in case your cabin has noise (machinery or other passengers) or vibration.

Flip flops or slippers for your cabin; I asked for some and got some but they are not a given sadly

First aid kit - I tripped, fell and cut my elbow aboard the Britannia. On the phone to the medical staff they told me to go to the shop and I was left to fend for myself. Treated very poorly. So antiseptic wipes and plasters as a minimum.

Sun cream - everything in the shop is so expensive.