Royal Princess Misses April 30 Disembarkation in LeHavre

tv24

Except you were in a different situation than the rest of the people who booked their cruise to end in Le Havre:

"In September 2017, we were granted a Route Sector DeviationApproval to disembark in Le Havre."

When you're approved for a Route Sector Deviation, they tell you straight out on the confirmation that if for some reason you miss the port where you're schedued to leave, you're completely responsible for your own arrangements and Princess has no liability.

But not in our case because we tried to book the LeHavre version of the cruise, and they could not give us the cabin we had been holding for nearly a year (or any other cabin for that matter). So THEY did it via the Route Sector Deviation Route in order to keep our cabin assignment.

You're also not supposed to be able to book EZ Air with a Route Sector Deviation, but we were and did. Again, because only reason for the Route Sector Deviation was Yield Dept. holding back all cabins for the LeHavre version of the cruise and Princess having to allow for our disembarkation this way.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

Last December, we were on Viking from Athens to Venice. Venice's port was fogged in. The ship returned to Trieste(we were in Koper the previous day). Viking bused all embarking passengers to Trieste and took all the disembarking passengers to either the airport, train station or port where we were due to dock. We missed our sail in and about 12 hrs in Venice but felt well taken care of. Those with flights through Viking were found alternate flights. Viking also gave everyone affected $250 for a future cruise if booked within a year. It was not a perfect ending but feeling very grateful to Viking after hearing of this fiasco.

Last December, we were on Viking from Athens to Venice. Venice's port was fogged in. The ship returned to Trieste(we were in Koper the previous day). Viking bused all embarking passengers to Trieste and took all the disembarking passengers to either the airport, train station or port where we were due to dock. We missed our sail in and about 12 hrs in Venice but felt well taken care of. Those with flights through Viking were found alternate flights. Viking also gave everyone affected $250 for a future cruise if booked within a year. It was not a perfect ending but feeling very grateful to Viking after hearing of this fiasco.

Sturmin: Your thread-started thanks you for your starter and your sharp contrast to our experience of a lack of customer service on Princess.

Sturmin: Your thread-started thanks you for your starter and your sharp contrast to our experience of a lack of customer service on Princess.

It would appear that Viking Ocean has learned something from their early days when they had the mechanical problem that caused a cruise to end early in Hamburg. Lets just say that their handling of that situation left a lot to be desired.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to revive this somewhat old thread in light of some news and in all fairness to Princess.

Two days ago I received an email from Princess offering an apology for the missed LeHavre disembarkation. The wording of the apology was very careful, as though it had been written by the legal staff, which was probably the case in our modern world.

The email encouraged those who had not already done so to seek reimbursement for additional expenses through their travel insurance. And it offered a process for a possible reimbursement by Princess for expenses not covered by insurance.

The email offered that "each guest will also receive a future cruise credit equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid for this voyage." The credit can be applied to a future booking or a current booking that has not been fully paid. It expires 6/30/19.

I was somewhat pleased to finally receive an apology. We did already receive full reimbursement of additional expenses from our insurance claim. We might use the future cruise credit; I don't know. Since we traveled in a suite, the credit equals some real money. My DH is burned out on Princess, so we may never sail with them again. But time will tell, and I will think about this.

Others may want to report on their own experiences, assuming they received the same email from Princess.

Thank you for the update. A carefully worded apology is better than no apology along with some compensation that acknowledges they could have done better.

I wonder if Princess has learned anything about how to treat its passengers from this episode - I fear not. It’s too easy to retreat to a one sided contract of passage when things go wrong. Quality organisations step up to the plate at the time, not wait to see who complains and then offer an apology (of sorts) and a soothing balm of credit.

Tv24, thank you so much for this update! I am glad to hear that Princess did offer an apology for your inconvenience and a future cruise credit, as well as possible reimbursement if travel insurance hadn't already covered your out of pocket expenses. This restores my faith in the Princess I have grown up cruising on.

Time to revive this somewhat old thread in light of some news and in all fairness to Princess.

Two days ago I received an email from Princess offering an apology for the missed LeHavre disembarkation. The wording of the apology was very careful, as though it had been written by the legal staff, which was probably the case in our modern world.

The email encouraged those who had not already done so to seek reimbursement for additional expenses through their travel insurance. And it offered a process for a possible reimbursement by Princess for expenses not covered by insurance.

The email offered that "each guest will also receive a future cruise credit equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid for this voyage." The credit can be applied to a future booking or a current booking that has not been fully paid. It expires 6/30/19.

I was somewhat pleased to finally receive an apology. We did already receive full reimbursement of additional expenses from our insurance claim. We might use the future cruise credit; I don't know. Since we traveled in a suite, the credit equals some real money. My DH is burned out on Princess, so we may never sail with them again. But time will tell, and I will think about this.

Others may want to report on their own experiences, assuming they received the same email from Princess.

I am happy to read this. It took Princess six weeks to do this-- and that is far too long-- but at least they have come to their senses and have taken appropriate steps.

I hope they also have updated their "playbook" for how these sorts of things are handled when they occur. As I pointed out in my earlier post, Princess should have done much more to assist you in making alternative plans as soon as this happened. Perhaps in future events of this sort that will be the case. But at least they have taken some steps after the fact to try to restore goodwill.

It is great that you have finally received an apology and a 25% discount off a future cruise.

I don't know the answer to this..so just a question....

As you claimed on your insurance and they paid out, will the price of next (year's) insurance increase ?

I ask that as some ( car/ house) insurances in UK increase rather a lot, if a claim is made....Curiosity about how things work!,!!

Hope you don't mind me asking.

As you claimed on your insurance and they paid out, will the price of next (year's) insurance increase ?

I ask that as some ( car/ house) insurances in UK increase rather a lot, if a claim is made....Curiosity about how things work!,!!

Almost certainly, the insurance involved is travel insurance and the trip delay coverage provided as part of it. Nothing to do with a home insurance policy. Prices for travel insurance policies are normally fixed prices and any future policy would be a completely independent purchase.

Almost certainly, the insurance involved is travel insurance and the trip delay coverage provided as part of it. Nothing to do with a home insurance policy. Prices for travel insurance policies are normally fixed prices and any future policy would be a completely independent purchase.

Thank you, that is interesting.

I appreciate it is travel insurance that is involved here.

Policies in this country are not fixed price. Information is shared between companies, regarding claims and declared information. Prices depend on many criteria..

Term of policy (week, fortnight, month, annual)

Age,

Pre existing medical conditions,

Europe,

Worldwide,

Worldwide plus America ( I know...don't ask !)

Worldwide, plus America, Plus Cruise cover.

etc...am sure there are more.

Thank you, that is interesting.

I appreciate it is travel insurance that is involved here.

Policies in this country are not fixed price. Information is shared between companies, regarding claims and declared information. Prices depend on many criteria..

Term of policy (week, fortnight, month, annual)

Age,

Pre existing medical conditions,

Europe,

Worldwide,

Worldwide plus America ( I know...don't ask !)

Worldwide, plus America, Plus Cruise cover.

etc...am sure there are more.

Of course. But none of those say anything about claim experience. And at least in the U.S., any of the travel insurance websites are quite happy to give you a quote without knowing who you are. And if they don't know who you are, how are they going to know your claim experience. Generally, premium increases occur when making car and home insurance claims because something else about the claim (such as being at fault in an auto collision) says you are riskier than the insurance company previously believed. A ship's failure to make a port says nothing about your behavior so why would the insurance company think you're now riskier (more likely is the insurance company analyzes claims, perhaps sees that Princess misses more embarkation ports than other lines, and decides to exclude Princess from coverage).

Besides, why would you get travel insurance if you then didn't want to make a claim. Better off not to get it in the first place in which case the premium is irrelevant.

It is great that you have finally received an apology and a 25% discount off a future cruise.

The cost of the travel insurance that we have bought has been pegged to the cost of the trip, usually around 10% of the cost of the trip being insured. Almost all of our purchases have been through the insurance offered by a cruise line. The cost has not gone up after we have filed a claim.

In my experience, travel insurance in the US has nothing to do with your previous claim history. You can get a quote on line or thru your TA without the insurer having any idea of your past claim history or lack thereof. Yes, auto/home types of insurances do increase their rates after you make a claim.

Over many years of cruising, we've made 2 small claims, each of which was paid promptly and fully. One was for a visit to the medical department and the other was for expenses not covered by Princess during a trip delay.

Edited by moki'smommy

Besides, why would you get travel insurance if you then didn't want to make a claim. Better off not to get it in the first place in which case the premium is irrelevant.

We never go on holiday without taking out travel insurance. Our holidays and cruises involve international flights and we find it reassuring that costs involved in a medical evacuation or similar are covered by the insurance. Fortunately, we have never had to make a claim, but the peace of mind, just having travel insurance allows us to enjoy our holiday.

In my experience' date=' travel insurance in the US has nothing to do with your previous claim history. You can get a quote on line or thru your TA without the insurer having any idea of your past claim history or lack thereof. Yes, auto/home types of insurances do increase their rates after you make a claim.[/quote']

Thank you . You have answered the question I asked.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder, what happens if someone has no UK visa in such case?

If I were on this cruise I would definitely make a schengen visa for the France and thats it.

Schengen visas is not valid in UK.

If I were on this cruise I would definitely make a schengen visa for the France and thats it.

:: ponders:: Denied boarding at port of embarkation? :o

I assume based on where you live you are a USA citizen. As such, you do not need a visa to visit France or the UK.

This is what happened to those of us on board: We had to line up for a UK immigration inspection on board the morning we were supposed to disembark. Had to be done or we could not get off the ship. Then we had to go through EU immigration once again as we arrived in France, in our case at CDG airport. For those who had scheduled to board in LeHavre and who had to find a way to get to Southampton, they must have passed through UK immigration upon arrival. My understanding is that most of those stranded passengers got to the UK via ferry service from LeHavre. These immigration hassles just added to the stress and misery of this experience.