Flights to/from port. Something I don't understand.

Kate-AHF

I have the feeling I should know the answer to this question by this point in my travel life, but I don't.

Why is it when i look to book flights on my own I can never find the direct flights to/from my destination? Let's say I want to go direct from LIS to IAD. When looking on United, Kayak or Google flights, there is nothing non-stop. When I view the departures from LIS online, I find a daily direct flight (UA 167). I also find flights direct to other US east coast airports, such as AA from LIS to ATL. Yet can't find that flight on the AA system. I'm not looking to book with points either.

My TA is working to reschedule our flights for an upcoming Oceania cruise that we extended another leg. Iv'e told her we would pay the deviation (not happily, but willingly) if we can get some kind of direct flight to the US, vs, making a stop in MUC or FRA first. Why is it that Oceania has access to those flights, but if I book my own air, I don't?

Why is it that Oceania has access to those flights, but if I book my own air, I don't?
The short answer is that Airlines choose to sell certain flights to their regular customers, i.e those who buy multiple flights every day, rather than offer them to everyone.

This was much less apparent to the general public pre-internet, and although it may be frustrating, it isn't a complicated concept unless you fall into the trap of discussing the method which they use which is restricting fare codes.

I use this site to find flights then book direct with the airline

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

You flight you mentioned is listed on the UA site so not sure what you are doing wrong

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/flight-search/book-a-flight/results/rev?f=LIS&t=IAD&d=2018-08-10&tt=1&fm=2018-08-09&flxbl=1&co=1&sc=1&px=1&taxng=1&idx=1

Just tell Oceania what flights you want on the dates & see if there is any upcharge then you can decide if worth using O air

It was worth it for me as we are doing a TA this trip

one way flights to/from Toronto are OTT

Use ITA Matrix web search engine to identify flights. Note that you can choose to display all flights - even sold out ones (which will not show on sites that sell tix).

Airline websites (and, therefore, generic sites like Orbitz using that info) selectively control what is seen online - giving greater flight availability access to loyal FFs who sign in as such.

Another option is to call the airline reservation number and ask for flight info that meets your needs. You will only be charged the booking fee if you have the telephone rep actually make reservations (though there is a way or two to get around that).

Not sure what I'm doing wrong either, because I don't see direct flights on United. Don't know if it's because I'm automatically signed in to my United acct, or because I'm using multi-city or what. Non-stop just isn't an option.

Basically, I think that Stan and Jim answered my question. I don't buy air in bulk.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong either, because I don't see direct flights on United. Don't know if it's because I'm automatically signed in to my United acct, or because I'm using multi-city or what. Non-stop just isn't an option.

Basically, I think that Stan and Jim answered my question. I don't buy air in bulk.

well neither do I but I see the UA flight

There are no non stops I can see to ATL from LIS

try signing out of your UA account then check

What date are you looking for ?

Sometimes the flights may change frequency certain times of the year

Many direct flights fill quickly once the 330 day window opens. That's another reason they might not appear. The downside is that opening fares may sometimes be high. But, a nice thing about United is that they will provide (at your request) a "fare drop" ETC for future flight purchases within the next year.

Kate, you could also try the flyer board here on CC. They are very helpful. But as suggested below, you must give them all the info.

As a Lyn politely suggests, providing as many details as possible when requesting assistance helps significantly in the process.

When are you wanting to fly, and from and to where exactly.

"Let's say I want to go direct from LIS to IAD. "

well neither do I but I see the UA flight

There are no non stops I can see to ATL from LIS

try signing out of your UA account then check

What date are you looking for ?

Sometimes the flights may change frequency certain times of the year

I too am puzzled LTH28,. I suspect you found it is a date issue that you got a hit. I tried UA, AA and matrix, kayak but got no non-stops LIS->IAD for when I think Kate-AHF is flying. I tried a return from LIS and back in 10 days (just to give the search some options), flexible dates and cabin .

Kate, you could also try the flyer board here on CC. They are very helpful. But as suggested below, you must give them all the info.

"Let's say I want to go direct from LIS to IAD. "

I too am puzzled LTH28,. I suspect you found it is a date issue that you got a hit. I tried UA, AA and matrix, kayak but got no non-stops LIS->IAD for when I think Kate-AHF is flying. I tried a return from LIS and back in 10 days (just to give the search some options), flexible dates and cabin .

United 167 (e.g., entire month of June 2019) LIS to IAD non-stop. Departs 12:15 pm local; arrives 3:30 pm Eastern. Economy and Business available but not inexpensive!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

There are many flights that are only direct during the high season. This happened once when I went to book NYC to Venice. At the time when flights opened up there were no direct flights. Several months later the airline added a direct flight.

The short answer is that Airlines choose to sell certain flights to their regular customers, i.e those who buy multiple flights every day, rather than offer them to everyone.

This was much less apparent to the general public pre-internet, and although it may be frustrating, it isn't a complicated concept unless you fall into the trap of discussing the method which they use which is restricting fare codes.

Sorry but, the above assertions are false. Airlines do not limit who they sell flights to and sell them to any and all customers. The problem with sites like Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. is they do not list all available flights. As others have said, matrix.itasoftware.com is probably the most complete site to view flights although a few low cost airlines do not appear on that site either.

Another issue is looking for "direct" flights and expecting them to be non-stop. In fact, in airlineeze, direct flights have at least one stop before getting to your destination and sometimes more stops. Usually they are simply stops where you can stay on the aircraft however there are times where there are scheduled aircraft changes

Direct and non-stop are completely different and if you ask an airline employee for a direct flights, there is a good possibility your flight will have a stop and possibly an aircraft change.

Rallydave’s Comments are right on! Also bunk was the comments on airlines preferring to sell bulk tickets to anyone , including airlines.

The OP has not returned with any specifics about her travel needs, so giving her any meaningful answers is not possible.

Sorry but, the above assertions are false. Airlines do not limit who they sell flights to and sell them to any and all customers. The problem with sites like Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. is they do not list all available flights. As others have said, matrix.itasoftware.com is probably the most complete site to view flights although a few low cost airlines do not appear on that site either.

Another issue is looking for "direct" flights and expecting them to be non-stop. In fact, in airlineeze, direct flights have at least one stop before getting to your destination and sometimes more stops. Usually they are simply stops where you can stay on the aircraft however there are times where there are scheduled aircraft changes

Direct and non-stop are completely different and if you ask an airline employee for a direct flights, there is a good possibility your flight will have a stop and possibly an aircraft change.

Airlines that don’t have interline transfer agreement , like SouthWest , don’t show up in most search engines.

Airlines that don’t have interline transfer agreement , like SouthWest , don’t show up in most search engines.

While it might be the lack of interline agreements, since ITA Software also provides the software engine for most airlines in the world, could also be that Southwest and similar airlines have their own computer systems that are not compatible with itamatrix.

Since most people on CC are likely to use airlines that are on ITA Matrix, still makes it a great source of information and flights are actually broken down by non-stop, one-stop and two or more stop.