Hurricane Florence

cwms

OK, we scheduled to take Grandeur to New England/Canada next Thursday. There's a decent chance that Florence will be hitting the middle east coast at that time.

If that happens, what does RC do? Cancel? Re-route? etc.

Time will tell as things develop. No way anyone here can answer that question. May change itin and/or dates. Cancellations always possible but not common. Welcome to hurricane season. We'll be doing our first hurricane season cruise October next year :)

99.9% chance they don’t cancel.

If they determine that the ship, the crew, and the passengers may encounter any danger, they will reroute the ship to stay away from the storm.

The only way, for the most part, for you to cancel because of flight issues, don’t want to go, had heart set on Canada, is if you had Cancel For Any Reason coverage.

No, you can’t buy it now because the storm is named. Florence in no longer an unforeseen event.

I agree that a full cancellation is extremely slim and we plan to go no matter what. I guess the worst that could happen (other than the ship sinking) is one or two ports are skipped and we spend more time at sea.

I do remember watching videos of Anthem a year or two ago trying to ride out a storm. It was ugly, and Anthem is a whole lot bigger than GOS.

We were on a ship during Irma and Maria last year. Our itinerary changed A LOT! We only missed St. Thomas and St. Martin and Curacao was added. Everything else was in a different order. We have cruised several times during hurricane season (our anniversary is in September) and this was the first time we were impacted. The ship steered well clear of any problems and the captain was very good about giving updates. As a bonus, since we basically went to the islands after the storm had gone through, we had some of the best weather we have ever had on a cruise. It was far safer to be on a ship that had the ability to change course than having to evacuate on a land based trip.

OK, we scheduled to take Grandeur to New England/Canada next Thursday. There's a decent chance that Florence will be hitting the middle east coast at that time.

If that happens, what does RC do? Cancel? Re-route? etc.

It's a dynamic situation, stay tuned here, check Royal's website for updates and you may not hear anything till boarding the ship. 1 year ago I was waiting on word from Royal, and got it on their website 2 days before I was scheduled to travel. Will that happen this year? With the changes to their website, nothing would surprise me.

Time of year, Peak season at that. Back in 1990's would cruise 1st week Sept every yr, then could save thousands over a June/July cruise. Changed ports, skipped ports and changed all ports. One yr had 4 named storms week I sailed and they did both. Lots of waves, Sea Sick passengers. Just watch weather, for messages from Royal and be aware things can happen/change... But then none of this may happen, they will avoid Hurricanes...

We are leaving for Florida on Saturday the 15th. Leaving Port Canaveral on the 16 on oasis to the eastern Caribbean. We live in Myrtle beach Sc and are watching this storm.

Forecasters say that it looking more likely that it will be heading towards the east coast. It can change. But something about a block of air will keep it south of the cone and less likely that it will move up the Atlantic. But I am trying to be prepared. It looks like Friday will be when it will be somewhere on the east coast. And we have to deal with the next system while we will be out there.

So I am praying we get through the storm here and hopefully be boarding oasis on Sunday. Don’t know where we will be going but hopefully some where sunny.

We are leaving for Florida on Saturday the 15th. Leaving Port Canaveral on the 16 on oasis to the eastern Caribbean. We live in Myrtle beach Sc and are watching this storm. .

I hope to be at Grills watching you guys sail away and then boarding Enchantment the next day. At this point Florence could effect my drive down, but coming from Ohio, I can take the western route to avoid any road issues in the Carolinas.

Even if you are scheduled to go to New England and Canada, be sure to pack some Caribbean wear, just in case! You don't want to sit on a beach wearing jeans and a sweatshirt should you be re-routed south...it has happened.

That is a terrific post, I know if I was on the OP's cruise, I wouldn't have considered that, however unlikely.

Even if you are scheduled to go to New England and Canada, be sure to pack some Caribbean wear, just in case! You don't want to sit on a beach wearing jeans and a sweatshirt should you be re-routed south...it has happened.

Very important! NCL has two cruises to Bermuda that are being affected. One, leaving today, is apparently heading north for a New England and Canada itinerary. The other is now scheduled to head south, but to Florida and the Bahamas. It would be prudent to take some clothing, even if only one or two outfits, for the alternative conditions even if no change has been announced, because the decision could be made while you're in transit to the port.

When is your embarkation day?

As long as you get on the ship and set sail, you will be good. The ship will avoid the storm. The real danger is if the storm hits on your embarkation day and in your area. If it is too dangerous to board then the cruise will either be cancelled or the embarkation will be rescheduled a few days later, which means a shortened cruise. If the cruise is cancelled, Royal will probably give you future cruise credit (FCC) good for one year. If the latter happens, they will probably give you the choice to cancel for 100% back in FCC or the opportunity to board the shortened cruise with 50% FCC.

If they reschedule the embarkation and shortened the cruise, they may still cancel the cruise if there is damage to the area or it is simply unsafe to ask passengers to enter the area. This is if there is a direct hit. You will probably get 100% FCC.

If you have Trip Interruption Insurance and your trip is altered, you will get your money back depending on your policy. How much back is also depending on your policy. If your flight is cancelled due to the storm, but the ship sails anyway, you will get your money back, so on and so forth.

This happened to us last year with Irma. Many cruises were cancelled or shortened because the hurricane hit on the weekend when many cruises were scheduled to set sail and hit extremely close to the ports. Because of this, many of the ships stayed out at sea because it was too dangerous to either enter the ports that day or too dangerous to unload passengers into a declared emergency zone. So some people got a 10-day cruise for the price of 7, and others got a 4-day cruise with composition or a cancelled cruise. Luckily, we has trip insurance and when Southwest automatically cancelled out flight we were able to get 100% of out money back, plus FCC toward another cruise.

The most important thing is if you are able to set sail you should be very good! You may have changes in itinerary, but at least you will be cruising! Best of luck!

I'm going to be in Walt Disney World during the time frame Florence is predicted to make landfall along the east coast, and even though most of the models are showing a curve up to the north, some of the models are showing a Florida path. So best to keep an eye on her.

OK, we scheduled to take Grandeur to New England/Canada next Thursday. There's a decent chance that Florence will be hitting the middle east coast at that time. If that happens, what does RC do? Cancel? Re-route? etc.

Not cancel.

Re-route to avoid the storm.

Last year during hurricane Maria, our Anthem cruise to Bermuda ended up in Halifax. We actually got notified 2 days prior to departure and had time to swap swimwear for fall clothes.