Hurricane Florence

cwms

I don't think coming back early is much of an option. Baltimore Nassau is a long run and they will likely not have much more than 12 hours in port to cut.

Roy

I've also seen them end cruises at different ports and then bus the guests back to the original port.

I've also seen them end cruises at different ports and then bus the guests back to the original port.

I always wonder how that works with the PVSA. I do remember a Grandeur cruise a year or 2 ago that went only to Bayonne, and even allowed guests to disembark there. I hope there's a major exception for natural events, but I imagine cruise lines try very hard to avoid that.

Roy

I always wonder how that works with the PVSA. I do remember a Grandeur cruise a year or 2 ago that went only to Bayonne, and even allowed guests to disembark there. I hope there's a major exception for natural events, but I imagine cruise lines try very hard to avoid that.

Roy

I believe the PVSA has provisions for exemptions during an emergency.

Forgive me but what does PVSA refer to? Thanks in advance.

It is a US law called the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

It is meant to protect US flagged passenger vessels. Among other provisions, it prohibits foreign flagged passenger vessels (which applies to virtually all cruise ships) from starting and ending a cruise at two different US ports without visiting a distant foreign port.

It is meant to protect US flagged passenger vessels. Among other provisions, it prohibits foreign flagged passenger vessels (which applies to virtually all cruise ships) from starting and ending a cruise at two different US ports without visiting a distant foreign port.

Ok thanks for the explanation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Isn't there a fine associated with that or did they change that? I know if someone leaves the ship on their own there is or was a fine.

Gwen :D

Isn't there a fine associated with that or did they change that? I know if someone leaves the ship on their own there is or was a fine.

Yes, there is a per passenger fine, which I think was $300 at one time, and I don't know if it has changed.

Yes, we were on the last Adventure sailing out of San Juan before Maria wrecked PR last year. Since we couldn’t come back into PR to terminate the cruise, we sailed back up to Ft Lauderdale and ended the cruise there (although native Puerto Rican’s could stay on and go home if they wanted). To my knowledge the only thing the cruiseline was doing for folks was opening up the wifi so people could change their flights. We’re from Florida so we just rented a car and drove home. Our cruise insurance covered the cost of the rental and fuel.

We are leaving next Sunday for a cruise out of Tampa on the Brilliance so I am hoping by then most of this will be over and we will be cleared to go but I do know that hurricane Iassac is set to hit the Caribbean by end of next week too. Our scheduled ports are Key West and Cozumel- hoping it steers clear of both. We do have cruise insurance but not sure what all that covers, suppose I should go and check it out.

Don’t go to the port til Monday...we don’t sail until then [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was wondering if anyone was following Isaac. I was wondering how far behind Florence he is. And it says going to the eastern Caribbean. I’m supposed to be doing the eastern itinerary starting September 16.

Yeah I was wondering same thing but it’s too early yet to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think coming back early is much of an option. Baltimore Nassau is a long run and they will likely not have much more than 12 hours in port to cut.

Roy

Bob was also talking in General about any cruise, but can happen. Was supposed spend overnight in Port, did less then 7hrs and had to leave to get ahead of a Hurricane.Time of year anything can happen and has, even a cruise to nowhere canceling all Ports. Like others I always have extra warm/cold cloths and extra month of Meds... Most likely all goes good, but in last 30yrs I've had changes 2 dozen times for various issues. Medical emergencies, storms/waves, Hurricanes...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Was wondering if anyone was following Isaac. I was wondering how far behind Florence he is. And it says going to the eastern Caribbean. I’m supposed to be doing the eastern itinerary starting September 16.

Me too... As long as we can get to the Port I'm OK with going somewhere else to get out of the way. :D

OK, we scheduled to take Grandeur to New England/Canada next Thursday. There's a decent chance that Florence will be hitting the middle east coast at that time.

If that happens, what does RC do? Cancel? Re-route? etc.

We are also booked on Grandeur for the 13th., and are concerned. We have friends on there now heading for Nassau. Why Nassau ? It's no better there that Bermuda. They should have headed north not south into Florence. Doesn't anybody at RCCL look at NOAA hurricane center data. Florence is getting bigger and stronger my the minute. We survived the a cat. 4 hurricane on Anthem Feb.6, 2016 and would not want to put anyone through that again. I served in the Navy years ago and they have the right idea. Tomorrow they are planning to put the fleet to sea out of Norfolk to ride out the storm. The problem with changing Grandeur's itinerary is it still must exit and return one way, Out the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. Florence will be there Wednesday and Thursday if the track doesn't change. It seems they can't win no matter where the ship goes.

We are also booked on Grandeur for the 13th., and are concerned. We have friends on there now heading for Nassau. Why Nassau ? It's no better there that Bermuda. They should have headed north not south into Florence. Doesn't anybody at RCCL look at NOAA hurricane center data. Florence is getting bigger and stronger my the minute. We survived the a cat. 4 hurricane on Anthem Feb.6, 2016 and would not want to put anyone through that again. I served in the Navy years ago and they have the right idea. Tomorrow they are planning to put the fleet to sea out of Norfolk to ride out the storm. The problem with changing Grandeur's itinerary is it still must exit and return one way, Out the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. Florence will be there Wednesday and Thursday if the track doesn't change. It seems they can't win no matter where the ship goes.

They have a full time meteorologist, James Van Fleet (@JamesVanFleet), so I assume that they have a plan. Looking at his tweet on Sept 7 "Update on @RoyalCaribbean #GrandeuroftheSeas sailing September 8th, 2018 our of #Baltimore. We are switching to an overnight Nassau, Bahamas itinerary to ensure we stay out of any potential NE Quadrant, if the track of #Florence unexpectedly shifts."... so for the sailing on the 8th.... looks like they want to beat the storm to Nassau.I think the NE quadrant is the worst area of a hurricane (at least I have read that). Looking at the itinerary page for RCCL . https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates... they have not said anything about the sailing on the 13th. Getting to the port on the 13th might be the biggest issue. I would assume they would still head to Bermuda

Oops sorry, I just assumed the Grandeur was scheduled for Bermuda on the 13th.

No, not Bermuda. We are scheduled for Canada/New England. Or should I say "were" scheduled. I hope we find out what is going on by Tuesday. I have to cancel a hotel we have scheduled to go to on Wednesday in Baltimore.

I am sure the ship will depart Baltimore... the question is where to go. Before you cancel hotel ... if you purchased travel insurance... you may want to check and see what they cover. I think, but am not sure, that if the ship does depart and you are not on it... they may not pay out... if you were driving to port and did not make it. I am fuzzy on this ... last year we were schedule to leave Miami about 5 days after Irma hit south west florida. We were scheduled to drive to Miami.... as I recall, I found out that insurance would not cover my cruise... just because I make it to port. I think it may be different if I was flying and my flight was cancelled... Since I did make it I never got a good answer.... so you might check this out.... I am assuming you are driving to port. I know how stressful this is... I was developing back up plans for my back up plans... ended up with back up plan #4... last minute flight to Miami... all worked out... Now we are scheduled to depart Sept 29 out of ft Lauderdale... Florence not an issue but Isaac?? who knows... starting to work up back up plan #1... drive instead of fly if airports have problems two days before the trip. I am a worrier... it is what I do

I personally think that the Grandeur will stay put in Nassau till it is clear to sail north. If that is the case and it gets back to Baltimore a couple days late, then the cruise on the 13th will be shortened and maybe only go to a couple of the original ports. I am on this upcoming cruise too and I am sure they will do what ever is best for the ship and passengers. However, the storm is expected to linger after coming ashore and it looks like the weather for the itinerary will be mostly rain. I've been to all these ports many times, but always look forward to visiting again. Time will tell what will happen. Maybe we will go south, who knows. I am not going to finish my packing until I know for sure what is going on and where we will be going or they cancel it altogether.

Gwen, I think you're right about a delayed return. Watching the forecast track, it would be too close of a call to beat the storm back. The latest forecast calls for the worst of the weather to be southwest of Baltimore/DC. West and central VA and NC are expected to be the locations that could take the brunt. The thinking now is that east of I-95 and north of Richmond will not be impacted as much. Lots of rain, but not much in the way of winds.