Quantum Grand Suite???

This is from the live report someone is doing on the ship right now - pics of the SGS are there - https://quantumlaunchers.shutterfly.com/

Pat

thanks, those are great!

looks like there are two sinks in the bathroom (one across from the toilet and one next to it) and also two tvs (the one in the bedroom looks like it's on the opposite side of the same wall as the one in the living room). also looks like the porthole provides a decent view from the living room, which i'm happy to see.

not so happy to see regular chairs/ottomans on the balcony instead of loungers, so may have to see if i can snag a regular lounger once onboard, as having loungers instead of chairs is a big draw of the suites for me (i pretty much spend half the cruise on my balcony). with all that space, i'd think loungers would be a no brainer.

thanks, those are great!

not so happy to see regular chairs/ottomans on the balcony instead of loungers, so may have to see if i can snag a regular lounger once onboard, as having loungers instead of chairs is a big draw of the suites for me (i pretty much spend half the cruise on my balcony). with all that space, i'd think loungers would be a no brainer.

I posted a question on the live thread asking if the ottomans are attached and if/when you pull them out if there is a gap between the chair/ottoman or something that comes out with support for the rest of your legs.

We are in a SGS on 4/12/15 but will have 3 in the cabin - the posted previous said there were 2 chairs at the table - how / can we snag another chair for the 3rd person.

Pat

I posted a question on the live thread asking if the ottomans are attached and if/when you pull them out if there is a gap between the chair/ottoman or something that comes out with support for the rest of your legs.

We are in a SGS on 4/12/15 but will have 3 in the cabin - the posted previous said there were 2 chairs at the table - how / can we snag another chair for the 3rd person.

Pat

The chairs look similar to those on other royal ships; if they are the same, the ottomans are not attached, and if you pull them out, there is a gap with no leg support. there's nothing that pulls out, like, say, a recliner would.

If you have 3 in your cabin, they may add an extra chair at the table automatically. If not, you can ask the concierge, or your room steward. If the concierge emails you before sailing, you might want to ask then; otherwise, I'd start with the room steward when you get onboard, then the concierge if the steward can't do it.

We are sailing on Jan 3 and are a party of 6, so i may also ask for a couple of extra chairs also, so we can fit more people around the table. We are the only ones in our party with a suite, and plan to have dinner in it one night, so we'll need the chairs if we all eat outside. I'll let you know how it goes!

btw, i looked through the pictures of the suites again on usatoday, and even the upper-end suites have those chairs with ottomans. maybe there are no true loungers available in the staterooms. :( if so, i'm sure to get some weird looks carrying one down the stairs from the pool deck.... :p

There are about 8 pix from the Grand Suite toward the end of the slideshow.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/11/01/quantum-cruise-ship-suites/18317643/

Thank you! Just one large sink in the bathroom. The pictures didn't show a view towards the cabin entrance door, but other pics show a coffee area and a counter. Looks great.

Thank you! Just one large sink in the bathroom. The pictures didn't show a view towards the cabin entrance door, but other pics show a coffee area and a counter. Looks great.

Two sinks. :) One is next to the toilet, one is across from it. There's a pic of the toilet and sink next to it, and in the reflection of the mirror you can see the corner of the sink that's across from the toilet. The live posts from onboard have also confirmed 2 sinks.

There's a shutterfly url floating around (it may even be earlier in this thread) that links to a shutterfly page with about 50 pictures of a superior grand suite, which shows it from all angles. the suite looks great.

ETA - here's the link to the live report.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116512

The link to the shutterfly account is in there.

Edited by karmacats
add info

btw, i looked through the pictures of the suites again on usatoday, and even the upper-end suites have those chairs with ottomans. maybe there are no true loungers available in the staterooms. :( if so, i'm sure to get some weird looks carrying one down the stairs from the pool deck.... :p

Or we could just toss one down from the pool deck & hopefully the person on the balcony catches it :D - or since we are driving we can pack our own:). The chaise loungers do look comfy - may be easier to get up out of without having to swing your legs to the side to put your feet down. We plan to contact the concierge prior to our cruise to get our cabana on Barefoot (switching from Nellies) so I am gonna post a guestion about extra chairs.

Pat

Edited by pkexton

The pictures I have seen posted are of the grand suites, not the superior grand suites. They are exactly the same with the exception of the large round window that faces the bow and the extra balcony. The extra triangular shaped balcony is separated by a panel and a sliding door, which does not latch open. I understand why it is separated. During the crossing, we had several days of 26 ft waves and strong winds. That part of the balcony was useless because of the way the wind funnels thru the more narrow part of the ship to that balcony. We did move our table and chairs to that balcony, and it really gave us more room on the part of the balcony we could use.

Top floor superior gs

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was told that only top floor sgs has permanent corner barrier for structural purposes. All lower floor sgs have removable. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just returned from the madien voyage on the Quantum of the Seas from Southampton to Cape Liberty. I stayed in a Superior Grand Suite #6234. Very nice accomodations for two. I think four adults in that room would be tight but can be done. And it's a little on the expensive side but nice. The balcony for the suite is nice but has a sliding door which gives you access to the other portion of your balcony. It was a little weird to be honest. I have pictures of the room if anyone want me to post.

Hi All,

Not sure if this helps. I took a video of the Superior Grand Suite during my trip from Southampton to Cape Liberty on 11/2. It has lots of room for two. It has two TV's which was great because it allowed me to close the curtain and watch TV while my wife slept. The balcony setup is a little weird as you will see from the video. They were still repairing the ship which is why you see additional access to the family suite balcony. The balcony funiture was stuffed on the main balcony because of repairs. The portion were the door slides belongs to the SGS. I hope this helps.

Edited by novajeff

Hi All,

Not sure if this helps. I took a video of the Superior Grand Suite during my trip from Southampton to Cape Liberty on 11/2. It has lots of room for two. It has two TV's which was great because it allowed me to close the curtain and watch TV while my wife slept. The balcony setup is a little weird as you will see from the video. They were still repairing the ship which is why you see additional access to the family suite balcony. The balcony funiture was stuffed on the main balcony because of repairs. The portion were the door slides belongs to the SGS. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the posting the link for the video. It gave a great perspective to the size and layout of the room that a still photo couldn't.

Hi All,

awesome. we're in 7234, so same layout just one deck up, so this was really helpful in helping me picture it. the front part of the balcony is going to be my secret hideaway. :D

Hi All,

This is my cabin....Thanks!

any insights about it.....any problems with noise? How was the privacy ?

Hi All,

We have a grand suite. I assume the cabin layout, with the exception of the balcony and extra window are the same. Did you see a grand suite?

Txs

Thanks so much for the video - staying in SGS on deck 8. Your video is great - really appreciate it. I am disappointed with the dividers on the corner of the wrap around balcony. I wish they were not there at all. Could you only open ONE side of the divider? It is a shame, as it really blocks the view. I thought this would be like the wrap around balconies on the aft of ships - no dividers at all in corner - just on each side. Anything you especially liked about this suite? Anything you didn't like? Thanks again - really appreciate you took the time to take this video. Did you use room service for breakfast or lunch? Was there a fee? I was hoping there would be no charge for room service in a suite.

Thanks so much for the video - staying in SGS on deck 8. Your video is great - really appreciate it. I am disappointed with the dividers on the corner of the wrap around balcony. I wish they were not there at all. Could you only open ONE side of the divider? It is a shame, as it really blocks the view. I thought this would be like the wrap around balconies on the aft of ships - no dividers at all in corner - just on each side. Anything you especially liked about this suite? Anything you didn't like? Thanks again - really appreciate you took the time to take this video. Did you use room service for breakfast or lunch? Was there a fee? I was hoping there would be no charge for room service in a suite.

Why is this for me?

My observations - When we left Southampton we had rough seas for the first two days. The ship was squeaking horribly everywhere which included my room unfortunately, the hallways, the venues, the areas around the elevators, and some complained about the dividers on the deck squeaking. If you have seen my video you see that the family suite next to us how their divider removed on the balcony because of squeaking.

Although the ship has state of the art wireless our room location had horrible reception. The rooms located in our short hallway also had issues and we had to go into the hallway to get a decent signal to do anything of significance on the internet. This should be the case on all floors above ours since it has the same configuration. I informed the IT folks on the ship and hopefully they will have that resolved for the upcoming cruises.

The room is supposed to have a DVD player but it wasn’t installed by the time we cruised. In fact most of the suites didn’t have a DVD player but they had the wire to connect one. I guess they didn’t have enough time to install but they should have it installed before the inaugural cruise but be aware that it may not be there just in case.

The location of this particular room is pretty good in my opinion. You’re only one floor up from the main promenade deck so you don’t have wait for the elevators. The elevators are very close which is convenient when you want to go up to the Windjammer or Concierge. The Windjammer is just off the elevators which is awesome.

What is not convenient is the walk to the Concierge on deck 12. You have to walk a long way to the concierge because it’s located on the back of the ship. But once you arrive to the concierge you will enjoy the furniture, the view, and service is first rate as expected. We loved going there even though the walk was pain in the butt. Good forbid that you are in the front of the ship.

There still isn’t a lot of storage in my opinion. As you have seen from my video there aren’t many drawers for the size of the room. There’s enough storage for two people but if you have 3 to 4 people in that room you may be living out of your suitcase for a little while.

OMG! The doors to all the rooms are really hard to open. You have to push down with significant pressure to open the door. When we first arrived we swiped our key and push down on the handle and the door wouldn’t open. Luckily one of the attendants was walking by and showed us how hard you have to push down on the handle. I’m a pretty strong guy and by the end of cruise my wrists were aching from opening that door. You will have to experience it for yourself to see what I’m talking about. In addition you have to leave your card in the slot by the bathroom door in order to turn the lights on to the suite including the bathroom. So I would suggest that you have an alternative card like and old hotel card or movie card to leave in the slot instead of your gold card but that will be up to you. The bathrooms now have a night light feature so you don't have to trun on all the lights on in bathroom at 2:00 AM in the morning to use the bathroom.

Finally, you will receive two arm bands in addition to you gold sea pass card (if you only have two people) that will allow you to open your door and purchase items on the ship like your sea pass card. We didn’t get the bands until we got to our rooms. One band will be white and the other black. We suggested to the concierge that the bands should be gold for the suite guest which only made sense to the passengers in the suites. The Concierge agreed and hopefully by the time you cruise they will give out the gold wrist bands to the suite guest. We didn't use room service but in hindsight I wish we did. It’s a wonderful ship. They still need to iron out a few bugs but hopefully you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Edited by novajeff

My observations - When we left Southampton we had rough seas for the first two days. The ship was squeaking horribly everywhere which included my room unfortunately, the hallways, the venues, the areas around the elevators, and some complained about the dividers on the deck squeaking. If you have seen my video you see that the family suite next to us how their divider removed on the balcony because of squeaking.

Although the ship has state of the art wireless our room location had horrible reception. The rooms located in our short hallway also had issues and we had to go into the hallway to get a decent signal to do anything of significance on the internet. This should be the case on all floors above ours since it has the same configuration. I informed the IT folks on the ship and hopefully they will have that resolved for the upcoming cruises.

The room is supposed to have a DVD player but it wasn’t installed by the time we cruised. In fact most of the suites didn’t have a DVD player but they had the wire to connect one. I guess they didn’t have enough time to install but they should have it installed before the inaugural cruise but be aware that it may not be there just in case.

The location of this particular room is pretty good in my opinion. You’re only one floor up from the main promenade deck so you don’t have wait for the elevators. The elevators are very close which is convenient when you want to go up to the Windjammer or Concierge. The Windjammer is just off the elevators which is awesome.

What is not convenient is the walk to the Concierge on deck 12. You have to walk a long way to the concierge because it’s located on the back of the ship. But once you arrive to the concierge you will enjoy the furniture, the view, and service is first rate as expected. We loved going there even though the walk was pain in the butt. Good forbid that you are in the front of the ship.

There still isn’t a lot of storage in my opinion. As you have seen from my video there aren’t many drawers for the size of the room. There’s enough storage for two people but if you have 3 to 4 people in that room you may be living out of your suitcase for a little while.

OMG! The doors to all the rooms are really hard to open. You have to push down with significant pressure to open the door. When we first arrived we swiped our key and push down on the handle and the door wouldn’t open. Luckily one of the attendants was walking by and showed us how hard you have to push down on the handle. I’m a pretty strong guy and by the end of cruise my wrists were aching from opening that door. You will have to experience it for yourself to see what I’m talking about. In addition you have to leave your card in the slot by the bathroom door in order to turn the lights on to the suite including the bathroom. So I would suggest that you have an alternative card like and old hotel card or movie card to leave in the slot instead of your gold card but that will be up to you. The bathrooms now have a night light feature so you don't have to trun on all the lights on in bathroom at 2:00 AM in the morning to use the bathroom.

Finally, you will receive two arm bands in addition to you gold sea pass card (if you only have two people) that will allow you to open your door and purchase items on the ship like your sea pass card. We didn’t get the bands until we got to our rooms. One band will be white and the other black. We suggested to the concierge that the bands should be gold for the suite guest which only made sense to the passengers in the suites. The Concierge agreed and hopefully by the time you cruise they will give out the gold wrist bands to the suite guest. We didn't use room service but in hindsight I wish we did. It’s a wonderful ship. They still need to iron out a few bugs but hopefully you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Thank you so much for this I feel better. As you said they should iron out most of the quirks.

The door thing is strange.

how was the view did you find the lifeboats annoying?

Thank you so much for this I feel better. As you said they should iron out most of the quirks.

The door thing is strange.

how was the view did you find the lifeboats annoying?

It was annoying when I was in the room. If people were walking outside on deck 5 they can look up into your room and see you lying in bed, seriously! They wouldn't see anything in detail but they could definitely see someone in the room or laying the bed from that angle. Sometimes when I got out of the shower and walked around my room to get dressed I had to remember that people could see and I had to close the curtain. ;)

Edited by novajeff