Fairbanks -

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:04 PM.
Wasilla, Alaska
1,141 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by MeeMawJ
Will be in Fairbanks in June 2017. Any suggestions for excursions and must-sees?

thanks
MeeMawJ
Will you have a rental car? How much time do you have? How many people? Ages? Interests?
Massachusetts
440 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
The riverboat tour is very interesting and educational. Pioneer Village is interesting for a couple of hours.

Also, if you have a rental, take a ride up into the wilderness along the pipeline. But, you cannot take a rental beyond the paved portion so you cannot go as far as the arctic circle. Once the pavement ends it is gravel and the trucks send rocks flying breaking windshields and denting cars.

Santa's Village in nearby North Pole is a nice place to shop for Christmas things and you can arrange to have a letter sent from Santa to children and grandchildren.
Las Vegas
11,976 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Will be in Fairbanks in June 2017. Any suggestions for excursions and must-sees?

thanks
MeeMawJ
The 2 best things in Fairbanks in my opinion are the car museum and the Alaska museum. I spent several hours in the museum and have been to the car museum 3 times - the first time for almost a full day. It is one of the best car museums I have ever been to.

With regard to North Pole, I would personally disagree w the suggestion that you visit the place. We drove through the place and the best part of the town was the restroom in McDonalds.

DON
Seattle
3,361 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
GoNorth allows driving their vehicles on gravel roads. There are a few more that also use older vehicles that do as well.

Agree with Don, North Pole is a wasted drive. We have driven out when visiting Fairbanks to have lunch at Pagoda Restaurant. It was very good at the time a few years ago.

Chena Hot Springs is a nice stop, an hour north, although much better in the winter.
453 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Originally posted by Budget Queen
www.explorefairbanks.com Also look at Northern Alaska tours. They have an awesome Arctic Ocean trip.
After 3 trips/land tours to Alaska we really want to do something completely different.
We are intrigued with the Arctic trips. Budget Queen have you done the Arctic Ocean trip?
Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)~~25th Anniversary
Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)
Carnival Destiny 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004
Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary
Crown Princess 10/07 Southern Caribbean
Holland America Oosterdam 9/2015 Land tour and Alaska Inside Passage (Seward to Vancouver)~~40th Anniversary
NCL Sun 9/2017 Land tour and Alaska Inside Passage (Seward to Vancouver)
Baltimore
36 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by alwaysfrantic
Can someone provide a link to the arctic ocean trip? I was not able to find what was mentioned.
Did a tour in Barrow, which I recommend highly. It is probably standard, but we got to see the Arctic Ocean, learned about native life styles, etc.
Georgia
400 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by donaldsc
The 2 best things in Fairbanks in my opinion are the car museum and the Alaska museum. I spent several hours in the museum and have been to the car museum 3 times - the first time for almost a full day. It is one of the best car museums I have ever been to.

With regard to North Pole, I would personally disagree w the suggestion that you visit the place. We drove through the place and the best part of the town was the restroom in McDonalds.
Great example of how different personal preferences can be.
  • We did visit the Santa Claus House in North Pole AK and enjoyed it, bought some gifts for family. We knew it'd be kitschy.
  • We then drove out to Chena Hot Springs. We were reminded of Cocoon and left disappointed. Probably pretty neat in winter, not so much so in June.
  • We enjoyed hiking up to Angel Rocks a lot more. Great day hike if you have the mobility to do it.
  • We have zero interest in a car museum.
  • The Museum of the North was neat, but I wouldn’t go back. Being the last day of our trip it repeated a lot of what we'd seen or heard about previously.
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
We will have six adults. We are very interested in knowing what is available for a one-day excursion (would probably have to be June 18, 2017 with our other plans). We will not be driving.

Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Redmond WA
8,997 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Without a car you'll need to rely on cabs or a tour company. Fairbanks is sprawled out over a large area.

In reply #4 i provided a link to the 80 page Visitor Guide. The index starts around pg 25.
Nothing there?

Have no idea what your interests are, but my suggestion would be to wander around Pioneer Park and the Morris Thompson Culture Center for a few hrs each. They're only a couple of miles apart so it wouldn't be a pricey cab ride.

http://old.fnsb.us/ParksandRecreatio...bout/about.htm

http://www.morristhompsoncenter.org
Las Vegas
11,976 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We will have six adults. We are very interested in knowing what is available for a one-day excursion (would probably have to be June 18, 2017 with our other plans). We will not be driving.

Thanks!
Why not? You really do need a car in Fairbanks.

BTW - Mapleleaves lives in Fairbanks. She know what she is talking about.

DON
SC & FL, USA
98 Posts
Joined May 2012
Maple leaves,
Thank you so much for your post, we WILL visit both on our August trip. If you have any local (non-touristy) seafood dining suggestions (we are not big eaters) I would be much obliged. All the best to you.
Chuck7