Rome on your own

Lees Cruisin

Me and my family are on the azura in august. We have booked an excursion (rome on your own) We want to visit the colleseum and i have been advised to book online as the queues are masssive outside. I have been looking to book through GET YOUR GUIDE. Has anybody got any other suggestions?

You will also find if the coach drop off point, multi storey coach park, near St Peters Square hasnt changed recently it is a long walk to the Colosseum.
We got a taxi from St Peters Square to the Coliseum then walked back and saw all the other interesting stuff on the way, however the taxi ride was terriifying and I didnt think we would get there alive!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Check how many ships are in. There were only 5 when we were there in May but that was enough to make Rome like the tube in rush hour. The day before there had been 11 and even the guides said it had been challenging.

The whole visit was actually quite unpleasant, but I wish you well. BTW there isn’t really much to see inside. It’s not like Gladiator!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The P&O 'Rome On Your Own' coach drop off point for us when we visited in April last year was near the large monument in Piazza Venezia, which was very convenient for the Colosseum and other places of interest.

I stand to be corrected if that has changed since April last year.

Regarding booking Colosseum tickicts.

We booked ours from this site, which I believe to be an official site.

We went for the entrance only tickets, but there are other options.

https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

Edited by P-L-B

Me and my family are on the azura in august. We have booked an excursion (rome on your own) We want to visit the colleseum and i have been advised to book online as the queues are masssive outside. I have been looking to book through GET YOUR GUIDE. Has anybody got any other suggestions?

Hi, we have done this excursion - as well as Rome a number of times for a 2 / 3 day stay.

When we went the coach dropped us off at the Vatican - we went to the taxi area and got a taxi to the Coliseum straight off. Not expensive.

The best place to get the ticket is at the entrance to the Roman Forum and get a dual ticket that also covers the Coliseum. You can have a walk around that area and see the forum (which is amazing). Then when you go to the Coliseum you can by pass the queue ;-)

You can walk back to the Vatican in about half an hour - pretty easy going - or just get a taxi.

We did this and still had the time to have a walk around St Peter's Square

Thanks for all your replies. The drop off point i believe is still Piazza Venezia so we are close to the Colloseum when we get dropped off. Does anyone know how to find out how many ships will be in on that day sunday august 19th. A few of my friends have been and said its not like gladiator 😂 but im a big Bruce Lee fan and i want to follow in his footsteps 🤩

The P&O 'Rome On Your Own' coach drop off point for us when we visited in April last year was near the large monument in Piazza Venezia, which was very convenient for the Colosseum and other places of interest.

I can confirm that we too were dropped off near the P. Venezia not near the Vatican.

Definitely check out different ticket agencies, we found quite a variation in ticket prices. I think we went to the official Colloseum site and followed the ticket link from there.

Thanks for all your replies. The drop off point i believe is still Piazza Venezia so we are close to the Colloseum when we get dropped off. Does anyone know how to find out how many ships will be in on that day sunday august 19th. A few of my friends have been and said its not like gladiator 😂 but im a big Bruce Lee fan and i want to follow in his footsteps 🤩

Pleased to hear it's still Piazza Venezia, very convenient.:D

We made our way to the Colosseum as soon as we got off the coach as crowds build up very early !!

When you get inside the Colosseum read the information boards as you go around. They describe in graphic detail what went on in the central arena below you in Roman times.:eek:

Thanks for all your replies. The drop off point i believe is still Piazza Venezia so we are close to the Colloseum when we get dropped off. Does anyone know how to find out how many ships will be in on that day sunday august 19th. A few of my friends have been and said its not like gladiator [emoji23] but im a big Bruce Lee fan and i want to follow in his footsteps 🤩

Hiya

Here is your port info..

f93c0b7c984d825a6fa9c4125ad65bc0.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P-L-B did these tickets skip the line or did u just join a normal queue? Thanks for your time ��

There is a queue to buy tickets and there is another queue for people that have brought pre paid tickets on line or otherwise. You have to make sure you are in the correct queue which can be a challenge. Also, this second queue has to go through security checks.

The link I provided earlier is the official site for booking tickets and explains all the options. We chose an admission only ticket, but of course you can pay more for various guided tours.

This is another site that has useful advice.

http://www.the-colosseum.net/around/visit.htm

BTW, take note of the reference in the link of peddlers selling overpriced tickets and offering non official guided tours.

Edited by P-L-B

Dont know if it depends on time of year or cruise company you are with or whether it has changed recently but on a recent Princess cruise in May we were dropped off at multi storey coach park where there were dozens of coaches parked up and we walked the short distance guided by the guide to the Vatican and met in the same place on our return for the short walk back.

Thanks for this post. I'm on this excursion in early September, and I was anxious to know the drop-off point.