Oceania Insignia

st5310

I could stand such a small stateroom. Would have to be in one that is 200 sq ft or more. Would definitely take away from any enjoyment I would have on the ship. Probably would need a CC class or a Penthouse #3. We take 3 cruises a year- would cut it down to 2 rather then feel clostrophobic

How much time do you spend in your cabin? We don’t spend that much time in ours be it an inside, ocean view or balcony. If we booked a suite I’d feel as if we’d need to spend loads of time in it to justify/enjoy it meaning we’d miss out on meeting new people and just enjoying the ship.

We cruise twice a year but wouldn’t cut it to one just to stay in a bigger cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our cabin will be at least 160sq ft but probably bigger as it’s a disabled cabin. The next upgrade is only 143 sq ft so I’ll not be taking an upgrade, free or not. However if they want to upgrade me to balcony or above then I’m in. [emoji41][emoji23]

Inside D are listed at 165 sq.ft.. The (generally obstructed) Ocean View E are described as 143. I know that sounds like a big difference but it is 22 sq. ft. but they do not have the small sofa. So I'd expect the actual floor space to be very similar (assuming a 3x6' sofa)

Plus the layout is different, the door opens into the main area of the cabin. There is no space taken by a "hallway" (in the balcony cabins) or even the small area by the door and washroom in the Inside. So to me they would seem more spacious as there is more free space in one area and no squeezing past the end of the bed as in the balcony layout.

If you are okay sitting on the foot of the bed instead of a sofa (there is the one chair as the usual desk/dressing table) I think they are an acceptable option. I would have the room attendant remove that glass top table as it sits in the middle of the room, in the way with no useful purpose.

How much time do you spend in your cabin?

Everyone's different....we love to spend time in our cabin! Private and relaxing, especially on our balcony. We almost always book suites (on any cruiseline we sail on) because we like a larger room, larger balcony and the perks that often come with it. We go to many places on the ship and mingle with others, but our cabin is our haven of rest.

If we booked a suite I’d feel as if we’d need to spend loads of time in it to justify/enjoy it meaning we’d miss out on meeting new people and just enjoying the ship.

We feel that the pleasure we get from our cabin definitely justifies the cost! And we certainly don't miss out on meeting people or enjoying the rest of the ship. This is just how we want to spend our vacation time and dollars.

Guess the reason that there are different types of cabins is to give each person their choice. This is ours and it makes us happy. :D

[/color][/color]

Guess the reason that there are different types of cabins is to give each person their choice. This is ours and it makes us happy. :D

It allows people to pay what they feel comfortable paying relative to what they feel that they need. On other (less expensive) lines we do balcony cabins. We'll put up with a smaller oceanview cabin on Oceania in order to get the (hopefully) better food and experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We had a G cabin that was handicap accessible, last available G, and I'm one to go on more cruises and mostly spend time out of the cabin anyway. We did notify the concierge and Oceania that we would give up the cabin if someone who was actually handicapped needed it. It was much larger than a regular G cabin but has a very weird bathroom. Extremely large but with a high sided bathtub/shower that can be tricky for an agile person to use, let alone someone who is mobility impaired. Especially challenging to use the shower when the ship is rocking. They really need to rethink the design. Other G and F cabins are fine, just for sleeping. As Jim and Stan say, cheap option in a great neighborhood-all the other amenities are the same, except a butler that we wouldn't use and full breakfast. I do have a concierge cabin booked in August because of great pricing and the lower ones were gone. So maybe I will get spoiled.

Mary

How much time do you spend in your cabin? We don’t spend that much time in ours be it an inside, ocean view or balcony. If we booked a suite I’d feel as if we’d need to spend loads of time in it to justify/enjoy it meaning we’d miss out on meeting new people and just enjoying the ship.

We cruise twice a year but wouldn’t cut it to one just to stay in a bigger cabin.

g

We like having closet and drawer space, a decent sized bathroom, room to get dressed and walk around without banging into each other. Cannot live from a suitcase. we also enjoy having breakfast in the cabin itself a few times during the cruise. I like a vanity area also. Can stay in a 200 sq feet doesn’t have to be a suite, but a reasonable size. 165 sq feet wouldn’t work for us.

with a high sided bathtub/shower that can be tricky for an agile person to use, let alone someone who is mobility impaired.

FYI, there is an entire accessibility protocol for those tubs, developed back in the day when tubs were almost universal.

One sits on the outer tub edge and swivels one leg at a time into the bath.

Actually VERY safe. :halo:

FYI, there is an entire accessibility protocol for those tubs, developed back in the day when tubs were almost universal.

One sits on the outer tub edge and swivels one leg at a time into the bath.

Actually VERY safe. :halo:

Our baths in the UK are a lot higher than US baths, which I find are too low. Lol [emoji23] I guess it’s what your used too.

We had a G cabin that was handicap accessible, last available G, and I'm one to go on more cruises and mostly spend time out of the cabin anyway. We did notify the concierge and Oceania that we would give up the cabin if someone who was actually handicapped needed it. It was much larger than a regular G cabin but has a very weird bathroom. Extremely large but with a high sided bathtub/shower that can be tricky for an agile person to use, let alone someone who is mobility impaired. Especially challenging to use the shower when the ship is rocking. They really need to rethink the design. Other G and F cabins are fine, just for sleeping. As Jim and Stan say, cheap option in a great neighborhood-all the other amenities are the same, except a butler that we wouldn't use and full breakfast. I do have a concierge cabin booked in August because of great pricing and the lower ones were gone. So maybe I will get spoiled.

Mary

Is there still a sofa and a table in the accessible G cabins?

There is a table but no sofa, an arm chair and a desk chair. I believe the layout is designed to make it easy for a wheelchair to maneuver. Interesting to know about how to get into the tub. There is a large drain in the middle of the floor and a long hose on the shower head, so someone could "shower" in the open area. I don't know if Oceania has a chair or stool for the person to sit on if they need it. Lots of closet space, including hanging rods that swing down for easy access.

Mary

This is interesting to me...I finally cleared the wait list for a 'G" Inside on the Insignia, and was assigned one of those accessible cabins. This is my first cruise on Oceania, so very curious about the bathroom. I have been in accessible cabins on other ships, and they never have a tub, but rather, a roll-in shower, with a fold down seat. There is a drain grate all around the shower area of the bathroom, and it does somewhat of a job containing the water, but still the floor gets wet. So I am happy to hear, that I can shower in the tub, and not have that problem.

Since I am not handicapped, I wonder if I can request having a sofa placed in the room for my voyage?

BTW, I am also happy to yield to a wheelchair bound passenger, if they can re accommodate me...:)

This is interesting to me...I finally cleared the wait list for a 'G" Inside on the Insignia, and was assigned one of those accessible cabins. This is my first cruise on Oceania, so very curious about the bathroom. I have been in accessible cabins on other ships, and they never have a tub, but rather, a roll-in shower, with a fold down seat. There is a drain grate all around the shower area of the bathroom, and it does somewhat of a job containing the water, but still the floor gets wet. So I am happy to hear, that I can shower in the tub, and not have that problem.

Since I am not handicapped, I wonder if I can request having a sofa placed in the room for my voyage?

BTW, I am also happy to yield to a wheelchair bound passenger, if they can re accommodate me...:)

It would be interesting to find out if you can request a couch in the cabin as I’m in a disabled cabin too and would prefer a couch than one chair as hubby will end up lying on the bed and falling asleep! Lol [emoji23]

There is no room in the accessible cabin for a couch due to the room layout. Even if there was room, it is doubtful the ship would have extra couches sitting around in case someone wanted one.

The high edge tub may be alright for someone with mild disability but sitting on the edge and swinging 1 leg up and over and then doing the same for their other leg is something many disabled people who need wheelchairs would not be able to do. You can request a shower stool/chair to have in the washroom . As stated below -The area outside of the tub has a drain. My wife transfers from her wheelchair to the shower chair and has her shower in that area - the shower head and hose is long enough to reach there.

The Pacific Princess which is near the same as Insignia does not have tubs in its accessible cabins.

There is no room in the accessible cabin for a couch due to the room layout. Even if there was room, it is doubtful the ship would have extra couches sitting around in case someone wanted one.

The high edge tub may be alright for someone with mild disability but sitting on the edge and swinging 1 leg up and over and then doing the same for their other leg is something many disabled people who need wheelchairs would not be able to do. You can request a shower stool/chair to have in the washroom . As stated below -The area outside of the tub has a drain. My wife transfers from her wheelchair to the shower chair and has her shower in that area - the shower head and hose is long enough to reach there.

The Pacific Princess which is near the same as Insignia does not have tubs in its accessible cabins.

Thanks Waynetor. I didn’t think they would be extra couch’s. Hubby is so happy there’s a bath as he says it’s the only thing he misses when cruising, but then we’re not disabled. I have two friends who are and neither of them would be able to get into a bath, be it low or high sided, with or without a stool. I suppose as long as the bathroom can be used as a wet room as well it makes it a duel purpose room. However I do think it’s strange having a bath in a disabled room. [emoji848]

However I do think it’s strange having a bath in a disabled room. emoji848.png
First of all, there are disabilities and then there are disabilities.

Many, many disabled people find a hot bath to be almost a necessity, particularly after a strenuous day.

On other Lines, where tubs were only found in the better cabins, we've travelled with disabled people who would choose to forgo the cruise, if they could not afford the tub.

Edited by StanandJim

First of all, there are disabilities and then there are disabilities.

Many, many disabled people find a hot bath to be almost a necessity, particularly after a strenuous day.

On other Lines, where tubs were only found in the better cabins, we've travelled with disabled people who would choose to forgo the cruise, if they could not afford the tub.

Yes I know disabilities come in many forms, some visible some not, but most wheelchair users would have to book a disabled cabin whereas non wheelchair users with other disabilities would maybe not choose to book one.

Yes I know disabilities come in many forms, some visible some not, but most wheelchair users would have to book a disabled cabin whereas non wheelchair users with other disabilities would maybe not choose to book one.

Agreed, but what is your point, then? :confused:

Agreed, but what is your point, then? :confused:

A non wheelchair user can book a non disabled cabin with a bath if they want one but most wheelchair users need a disabled cabin with a shower. I’m not confused. Lol

A non wheelchair user can book a non disabled cabin with a bath if they want one but most wheelchair users need a disabled cabin with a shower. I’m not confused. Lol

Maybe not confused, but you certainly paint with too broad a brush.

Many disabled folks, including those in wheelchairs, seem to find a bath therapeutic, both physically AND mentally.

Transitioning from the chair to a rigid sided tub is typically safer than standing in a shower, and is certainly more comfortable and sanitary than being rinsed while still in the chair.

It must also be considered that some percentage of wheelchair bound passengers will have chosen to wear adult diapers for long stretches of the day, so a full immersion bath followed by a shower rinse may be what is required for skin health.

If you've ever noticed that unpleasant ammonia smell when walking into a healthcare facility, it is because they don't take that extra step .

Many disabled folks, including those in wheelchairs, seem to find a bath therapeutic, both physically AND mentally.

Transitioning from the chair to a rigid sided tub is typically safer than standing in a shower, and is certainly more comfortable and sanitary than being rinsed while still in the chair.

It must also be considered that some percentage of wheelchair bound passengers will have chosen to wear adult diapers for long stretches of the day, so a full immersion bath followed by a shower rinse may be what is required for skin health.

If you've ever noticed that unpleasant ammonia smell when walking into a healthcare facility, it is because they don't take that extra step .

I can see all that, but..

Lowering oneself into a tub (from sitting on the edge) may be manageable but getting back out of the tub may be quite difficult for some disabled people on their own. They may need to be lifted up to the edge - not an easy task for most people assisting the disabled person (especially if the disabled person is plus size).

No personal experience - just thinking. I think the tub may work well for some but not for others?

When I tore my meniscus the day before boarding the non-Libya cruise on Regatta in Barcelona (November 2005) I was fortunate in that we had taken an upsell to an OS so that I was able to "walk" around the cabin in my wheelchair. Back then we still had the jacuzzi in the main bathroom and it was a blessing to me to be able to soak the leg and run the jets.

I had never been troubled with limited mobility before so I wasn't a usual wheelchair user. Despite that I either used the chair or crutches on that trip, I WAS able to clamber into the tub -- and get out of it unassisted as well. That's why I was disappointed when Oceania decided to remove the tubs from the top suites.

But I certainly understand the problem that someone who is truly disabled can have difficulty of a tub while at the same time many will need "soaking" time.

Mura

I can see all that, but..

Lowering oneself into a tub (from sitting on the edge) may be manageable but getting back out of the tub may be quite difficult for some disabled people on their own. They may need to be lifted up to the edge - not an easy task for most people assisting the disabled person (especially if the disabled person is plus size).

No personal experience - just thinking. I think the tub may work well for some but not for others?

agree with you

from personal experience when I had my knee replacement showering was not an option

we have a deep sided tub it was a nightmare trying to get in/out

At the hospital they had a shower room with a bar height chair in it it was perfect you could sit while you showered

I always though that is what they had in the H/C cabin on the R ships until I saw the photo with the tub :eek:

I’m not painting with a broad brush and I do know what I’m talking about.

I’m a staff nurse/RN with over 45 years experience so I know all about different types of disabilities and the difficulties in getting into a bath without a lifting aid. You have to remember in Scotland we have high sided baths which make it difficult for a wheelchair user to get into without an aid, even if they only use the wheelchair to get about outside. I also have two friends who use wheelchairs who couldn’t get into a bath. My MIL had a stroke just over 2 years ago and had to get a walk in shower fitted as she couldn’t get in/out of the bath. She is back to walking a couple of miles a day, has the use of all her limbs but her left hand remains weak but still cannot use her bath. My daddy was the same.

As for the ‘odour’ from some people, it’s not due to the fact they wear an incontince pad or use a shower only it’s down to poor hygiene.

I think we can agree to disagree.

Edited by Issyalex

They could have a Hoyer or some other medical lift device to transfer a person from a wheelchair to a bath chair, but those are usually only seen in medical or nursing facilities...

I have seen lifts to help handicapped into swimming pools or hot tubs on some cruise ships...