When is US schools winter break 2011?

mrspjotter

Hi - can anyone tell me when the US school's are having their week's break in February 2011? :confused:

We normally take our kids out of school in the UK to avoid being on a cruise or in Florida when the US kids are on a break as well so that it's less busy!:cool:

Hi - can anyone tell me when the US school's are having their week's break in February 2011? :confused:

We normally take our kids out of school in the UK to avoid being on a cruise or in Florida when the US kids are on a break as well so that it's less busy!:cool:

Sorry, there isn't really a set time for that. Anytime between Thanksgiving (November 25) and January 2, schools can be open or closed for part of the time. This year with Christmas being on a Saturday, the week before and after are likely to be really busy.

Thanks I thought the schools had a week off for President's day which normally co-incides with our february half term here in the UK, the last 2 year's we've finished cruises about 13/14th Feb and the crew have always said there are lots of kids getting on the ship for the next cruise so I assumed they had a holiday too :confused:

What you're asking about is Spring Break. And it occurs at different times for different school districts generally starting in late February and running through April.

A rule of thumb for us is to watch the prices. Lower prices = fewer children.

Hope this helps

Charlie

No, some schools get a winter break AND a spring break. I know my stepson does in Michigan, but we don't here in Tennessee. I think his winter break is the week of President's day in February.

HTH

I think I get what you mean. ;)

President's Day is February 21 in 2011 - so the kids will be off on that Monday.

The prices are usuallu higher on President's Day week AND Valentine's Day - which is February 14th.

No, some schools get a winter break AND a spring break. I know my stepson does in Michigan, but we don't here in Tennessee. I think his winter break is the week of President's day in February.

HTH

I agree, MA and NH have a winter break in February and a spring break in April. For MA, the February week is the week of President's day and spring bread is the week of Patriots day. Plus, most schools will have at least Good Friday off and the parochial schools usually get Thursday, Friday and Easter Monday off.

Typically most schools in the midwest have two or three days off for Thanksgiving. (4th Thursday of November) A good time to go to FL is the 1st two weeks of December. Anytime I've been there during that time frame it's fairly 'quiet.' Usually the week before and after Christmas most kids are out of school.

We have the week between Christmas and New Year's off, a long weekend for President's Day, and the first week of April off. But as everyone above stated, it varies widely state to state and district to district.

I think I get what you mean. ;)

President's Day is February 21 in 2011 - so the kids will be off on that Monday.

The prices are usuallu higher on President's Day week AND Valentine's Day - which is February 14th.

My kids normally have the Friday before Presidents Day and Presidents Day off for what they call Mid-Winter Break (we are in Michigan).

Thanks everyone for your replies - I think NYTeacher has answered my question in that some of the schools have a week off starting with President's day and in 2011 that is the same week as the kids in the UK have off.:)

Still not booked a cruise though have been on RCI twice and loved it but P&O have some great deals on Azura here in the UK at the moment :confused:

In addition to the roaming "spring break" that can occur anytime in March or April, many schools in the Northeast have off "President's Week" in February. The last day of school is February 18th and the first day back is February 28th.

This is exactly what we have (we're in NY as well). We always have the whole week off that starts with Presidents Day.

Then our spring break is dependent on Passover and Easter. Sometimes we have days in both March and April and sometimes the holidays coincide.

The week in February use to be called energy conservation week. It was a way for the school districts to save money on heating.

Now it's President's day week.

Then there is Passover week. It normally falls around Easter. It follows Passover a bit more than Easter.

It depends who you ask.

Now see I learned something here. I didn't know anyone got a week off in Feb. in the US. But that explains why some spring breaks are in mid-April. Mid-April is only a month until the end of school, around here in Kansas anyway. That explains why you east-coasters are in school until nearly July! (That and I think you generally don't start until September.) Agree, it varies wildly by location.

Now see I learned something here. I didn't know anyone got a week off in Feb. in the US. But that explains why some spring breaks are in mid-April. Mid-April is only a month until the end of school, around here in Kansas anyway. That explains why you east-coasters are in school until nearly July! (That and I think you generally don't start until September.) Agree, it varies wildly by location.

Yup, we (meaning my area of NY, 'burbs of NYC) start school the Wednesday after Labor Day (TOO hot before then - most schools do not have a/c. Some start right before labor day, but certainly not early August) and then end the last week of June. Standard 180 days of school, it's just the start/end dates are different than other parts of the country. personally, I HATE ending so late, but like starting in September, so I guess I have to deal with it :)

It appears that the point of this thread is, there are not any rules! :D

Kids here in Wisconsin just get off one day - President's Day, so no time for long vacations here! Spring break, on the other hand, can range anywhere from mid March through April, so it would be hard to work around it entirely!

In our school district (also in WI) we don't have off president's day, but since the district is on a "trimester" we have two days off at the end of the trimester (mid-March). At least most of the time -- the HS band just got the invite to perform in the Tournament of Roses parade for New Years Day 2012 and they are talking about revising the calendar next year to take at least one of the Trimester days off and exend the Holiday break by a day to accommodate the band kids' travel time.

Our school district also does not "do" spring break - but instead releases about a week before surrounding school districts.

Even within California as a state, the dates are different depending on which school district you are in. Northern CA has different dates than southern CA and even within Northern CA; different counties have different start dates as well as holiday dates.

For example, San Jose district has the entire President’s Week off where as Alameda County next to it school does not observe that. In order to get that one extra week off, the kids go to school earlier by starting on August 16 this year. Whereas some other schools in different districts start on August 23 or as late as September 1 in northern CA. Since they start late, they don’t get the President’s week off, only that Monday.

So to OP, good luck trying to figure out what Percentage of US kids gets the President’s week off.

As you can see, there is no definitive answer. I live in Georgia and each school district sets the dates they attend/don't attend. In our district, we've adopted a modified year round calendar so you might see us out for a week at any time during the year. Our summer vacation has been greatly decreased to allow for breaks during the "normal" school calendar year. Sorry.....also, typical spring break time occurs here in April.

As I always tell the students, "Learn something new each day." I certainly learned something today. Wow! Never knew that some parts of our country have the President's Day off as a week off. Four more years before retirement, then I don't have to follow the school calendar and I will be able to take advantage of all those great cruises off season.:p

As I always tell the students, "Learn something new each day." I certainly learned something today. Wow! Never knew that some parts of our country have the President's Day off as a week off. Four more years before retirement, then I don't have to follow the school calendar and I will be able to take advantage of all those great cruises off season.:p
I grew up in New Jersey and never regarded President's Day as a week off. Then I moved to Upstate New York - and that week in February is a school vacation! The down side is our kids go to school a week later in June than everyone else. In 2011, since President's Day is February 21, our kids are off the entire week of the 21st-26th. And we'll be sailing on Carnival Freedom. I've grown to love the February break, because by then I also need a break from winter!

Typically most schools in the midwest have two or three days off for Thanksgiving. (4th Thursday of November) A good time to go to FL is the 1st two weeks of December. Anytime I've been there during that time frame it's fairly 'quiet.' Usually the week before and after Christmas most kids are out of school.

In the U.S., no one travels for pleasure the first 2 weeks of december. They have either just travelled for thanksgiving or are about to travel for Christmas. You can get dirt cheap rooms in vegas and all kinds of other places.

Normally, here in the eastern part of the US, winter break is Dec 23rd to the first week day after January 1.

Any other breaks are just long weekends (Fri and/or Mon).

Spring break is usually a full week and is either the week leading INTO easter Sunday or the week after Easter Sunday. In the northeast, there is also passover to consider along with other Jewish holidays. Many schools with large jewish populations will try to schedule spring break to accomodate all.

In Florida, there is a lot of year round school so some kids are always on break.

One PP that said to watch airfares is on the right track - the airlines know when people are going to want to travel. For cruising, look at what weeks Disney is offering it's best package deals to get people to come. This will tell you when fewer kids are travelling.

Archived