Passport- was there an issue?

blackkitteycat

Hello everyone. I'm going on a cruise that departs from Vancouver so i'm in the process of getting my passport. I applied and paid for expedited with overnight delivery. On Wednesday I checked online and it said my passport was finished processing and would be mailed using overnight delivery, and would arrive today, Jan. 19th. Well, I went and checked my mail and it wasn't there. I went back to the tracking and it now says that my passport is being shipped using priority mail and will arrive next week, on Wed. Jan. 24th. I'm annoyed- I paid for overnight delivery! Was there some sort of issue that made them unable to ship it overnight? Has anyone had this happen to them before?

The tracking has now changed to say my passport is in the final processing stages and won't even be shipped out until Monday, Jan. 22nd. There is no longer an expected arrival date. This is making me nervous...there shouldn't be any issues with it. I used a new, original copy of my birth certificate and got my photos taken at the post office. Would there be any reason that they're backtracking?

Could it be that they are anticipating/preparing that the Fed Govt will shut down tonight. If there is a shutdown, the passport processing offices will be closed for the duration of the shutdown..

You might want to double check this.

Could it be that they are anticipating/preparing that the Fed Govt will shut down tonight. If there is a shutdown, the passport processing offices will be closed for the duration of the shutdown..

If there is a shutdown (we will know later night) and your passport has not yet been mailed, you will have a serious problem until the shutdown ends.

It's my understanding that the passport office if funded largely through the user fees collected, which means they will still have at least limited operations if not full operations.

This is one that your USA Congressional office can really be a big help with.

Call your House Of Representative office on Monday and they can run this down for you.

The only challenge might be with the government shutdown but again this is one that the congressional offices know how to get the status on and things moving.

Keith

...I'm going on a cruise that departs from Vancouver so i'm in the process of getting my passport...
It's in 1.5 weeks. I didn't mean to wait till to the last minute, but I had a lot of issues getting my birth certificate that ended up taking months.

These posts simply do not add up - there are no cruises out of Vancouver until April this year. I can't imagine why someone would bother with fake posts about a nonexistent issue, so I assume there was a mistake in one or both of the above statements.

OP, if you're still here and do need a passport within ~10 days odds are that you are now totally hooped with the shutdown - so alternatives need to be considered. Most insurance won't pay out with cause - passports are an issue under your control - unless you have a cruiseline's 'cancel for any reason you like' insurance.

Depending where/when you actually need to travel it's possible you may not need a passport at all (almost all RT cruises from any US port) or you may be able to get an alternative document to cross the border if it is Canada you need to come to (if your state issues EDLs, these should not be impacted by a federal shutdown - you'd have to cross the border on land not by air, but might be able to alter plans).

If you were posting nonsense for a jolly jape - congrats, you've sucked up several posters' time!

Edited by martincath

This is one that your USA Congressional office can really be a big help with.

Call your House Of Representative office on Monday and they can run this down for you.

The only challenge might be with the government shutdown but again this is one that the congressional offices know how to get the status on and things moving.

Keith

:'):'):'):'):')

Yeah right....they are all to busy on the tv and radio talking head shows blaming each other. They don't have time to actually do their jobs.

These posts simply do not add up - there are no cruises out of Vancouver until April this year. I can't imagine why someone would bother with fake posts about a nonexistent issue, so I assume there was a mistake in one or both of the above statements.

OP, if you're still here and do need a passport within ~10 days odds are that you are now totally hooped with the shutdown - so alternatives need to be considered. Most insurance won't pay out with cause - passports are an issue under your control - unless you have a cruiseline's 'cancel for any reason you like' insurance.

Depending where/when you actually need to travel it's possible you may not need a passport at all (almost all RT cruises from any US port) or you may be able to get an alternative document to cross the border if it is Canada you need to come to (if your state issues EDLs, these should not be impacted by a federal shutdown - you'd have to cross the border on land not by air, but might be able to alter plans).

If you were posting nonsense for a jolly jape - congrats, you've sucked up several posters' time!

I am going on a cruise departing out of Vancouver, but i'm also going on a trip there beforehand. I have family that live in Canada and it's always been a dream of mine to visit. I'm going to be traveling to Vancouver, Whistler, and Banff. I apologize for not giving the full details of my travel plans, I didn't think it was really necessary on a post asking for help about my passport.

Either way, I got the passport in the mail today, so i'm assuming the online tracker isn't 100% accurate.

I am going on a cruise departing out of Vancouver, but i'm also going on a trip there beforehand. I have family that live in Canada and it's always been a dream of mine to visit. I'm going to be traveling to Vancouver, Whistler, and Banff. I apologize for not giving the full details of my travel plans, I didn't think it was really necessary on a post asking for help about my passport.

Either way, I got the passport in the mail today, so i'm assuming the online tracker isn't 100% accurate.

I'm glad I assumed there was something else going on then and that your passport did come through! Hope you enjoy your time here too.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-services-government-shutdown.html

Passport Services During Lapse in Appropriations

At this time, scheduled passport services in the United States and our posts overseas will continue during the lapse in appropriations as the situation permits. This website will not be regularly updated until full operations resume, with the exception of emergency safety and security information.