Reflections on Crystal Serenity, Pacific Sojourn, LA to Syd - 23 Jan – 17 Feb 2018

Crystal Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:31 PM.
UK - Berkshire
314 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Paulchili
Interesting - you seem to agree with TER777 who feels the carpet, while not his/her taste, ARE elegant. You don’t seem to think they are elegant - in fact you think that they are “tasteless”
I understand the busy patterns as they hide minor stains/dirt but that particular pattern is more than just busy.
I’ll have to wait and see what it looks like in person.
Paul, I know you admire the Marina decor (Oceania) and I think you will like the Crystal look too - which overall is a bit more understated and not as consistent as a brand new ship can be. But particularly where the decor has been refurbished it is very elegant, quite brave but definitely classy (and absolutely not in a Vegas way - imho)
We have had more Oceania days than Crystal but, looking ahead, the ratio will reverse quickly now. Prepare to find your loyalties shifting!
Sydney, Australia
5,651 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Well I’m feeling like an excited child as embarkation day has finally arrived. Still just 7.30am here in LA so too early to leave for the port but we’re starting to think about repacking - hope it all fits - no I don’t have Mickey Mouse ears to accomodate

One of our friends coming down from San Francisco today to join the cruise has just messaged me that his aircraft doors are closing, and that he’s just realised an hour ago that he needed an Australian Visa waiver - fortunately they are easily obtained online and he’s done that so he should have it by the time he lands at LAX

Yesterday was another day at Disneyland and California Adventure Park. We enjoyed many repeat rides from earlier in the visit and also did some new ones for this visit such as the Haunted House and the Peter Pan ride and when we went across to the Adventure Park we did Soaring - a very immersive flight experience which is very popular and one of my favourites now, maybe because we got to fly over Sydney harbour and could see where we will be moored in 23 days time. The tower in the photo is the Guardians of the Galaxy ride where they drop you quickly on various levels, I did it the other day, once was enough for that one

I just wanted to stay something on the hotel we’ve stayed at for the last 5 nights. It’s the Hyatt House in Anaheim and I can’t say enough positive things about it. It has friendly staff who provided us with an early checkin (welcome after 14 hours of flying), many greeted us by name during our stay and they even held open breakfast one morning when we arrived a little late. The hotel is relatively new and the rooms spacious and well equipped. It is a 10 minute walk to the parks. Whilst it’s not a Ritz Carlton it is a well appointed family hotel, which I would rate a 4+ Star Hotel catering for couples and families close to the Disney properties and I have no hesitation recommending it to CC members and family. I’ve written a positive review for it on Trip Advisor

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can contact me: bodogbodog @ gmail . com (take out the spaces)

04/14/2017 Crystal Symphony - Tokyo to San Diego - 17 days
12/21/2016 Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Melbourne - 15 days
01/24/2016 Crystal Serenity - San Francisco to Sydney - 22 days

11/13/2014 Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Sydney - 11 days
10/28/2014 Crystal Symphony - San Diego to Auckland - 15 days
02/16/2014 Crystal Symphony - Sydney to Bali - 12 days
01/05/2013 Crystal Symphony - Melbourne to Hobart - 6 days
Southern New Jersey
1,014 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I admit I haven't been to Disneyland since 1992 or so, but that Guardians of the Galaxy "ride" (which wasn't there last time we were there) looks a lot like the Tower of Terror at MGM in Disney World. I am guessing they made it over now at both locations? ( We were last in DW in 2015, and it was still Tower of Terror then) I don't like drops, so have never been on it.
Love seeing the Haunted Mansion photo. I always loved reading the gravestones. Makes me want to go back, although I need grandchildren first.

Enjoy embarkation!

Nancy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Travel Blog: http://v2.travelark.org/traveller/njbeaglemom
Sydney, Australia
5,651 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Nancy - no need to wait for the grand children - be like us and pretend you have some. The virtual children were well behaved, never got tired and were cheap to run - and we had a ball.

Seriously though if you enjoy the parks it’s probably worth doing once in a while. We had a 30 year gap. I know many friends on FB are saying we loved that ride, did you try that one etc - so lots of adult do enjoy it - another guilty pleasure

The Guardians of the Galaxy ride is a bit like the Tower of Terror but you are enclosed and the drops aren’t as pronounced I think - you are in an enclosed lift cage but they open shutters in the tower and you look out over the park - then you’re off again dropping or rising

We’re now an hour before we head to the port and amazingly the bags are repacked with the addition of a few soft bags we bought along to add capacity (and no Ricki we are not at 9 bags yet)

I am so going to miss this fast internet - fingers crossed we get good coverage across the Pacific

All systems are go and ready for embarkation

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can contact me: bodogbodog @ gmail . com (take out the spaces)

04/14/2017 Crystal Symphony - Tokyo to San Diego - 17 days
12/21/2016 Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Melbourne - 15 days
01/24/2016 Crystal Serenity - San Francisco to Sydney - 22 days

11/13/2014 Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Sydney - 11 days
10/28/2014 Crystal Symphony - San Diego to Auckland - 15 days
02/16/2014 Crystal Symphony - Sydney to Bali - 12 days
01/05/2013 Crystal Symphony - Melbourne to Hobart - 6 days
3,054 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Paulchili
I have not sailed on Crystal yet - will be in on Serenity in 3 weeks - but unless this picture is very misleading, this does not say to me - “look how beautiful and classy I am”
It looks more like a site of a terrible spil or accident that couldn’t be quite cleaned up.
Tastes vary but I know I would never have this carpet in my house. - maybe in the garage?
I have area rugs that incorporate geometric patterns and bold organic designs, but I can appreciate it's not everyone's thing. I'm sure some of my more traditional relatives have said similar things about the décor in my home.

Originally posted by MalbecWine
I am glad you said this. Carpets on ships are horrible and way too busy. Who are these designers? Vegas is the same way. No taste.
Well, some of Crystal's designers also do a lot of work in Vegas... KNA Design/Kirk Nix did Symphony's refurbished Palm Court, among other rooms on both ships.

Bon Voyage Terry & Kerry!

Vince
Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
19,175 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
BON VOYAGE

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
California
6,326 Posts
Joined May 2000
Bon voyage Terry and Kerry,

We're headed to Disneyland next week, so we'll try to pick up where you left off!

Enjoy your Transpacific cruise back home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
593 Days at Sea
222 - =X=
147 - Crystal
76 - Princess
68 - NCL
36 - Royal Caribbean
17 - HAL
17 - Disney
10 - Cunard
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
298 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Bon Voyage Terry & Kerry. Have loved all your photos and comments and looking forward to more along your journey.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers,

Peta & Dave

[email protected]

Crystal Symphony 10 August - 30 August 2018 - San Francisco, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Chiapas, Puerto Quetzal, San Juan del Sur Nicaragua, Puerto Caldera, Panama Canal and Gatun Lake, Cartagena, Bimini, Charleston, New York City

Past Cruises:
2017 April 1 Carnival Legend - 19 Days Sydney, Maré Island, Suva, Papeete, Mo'orea, Bora Bora, Kahului Maui, Honolulu
2016 August 19 Celebrity Millennium - 20 Days Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Seward, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver, Victoria, Jasper, Banff, Calgary
2015 March 23 Croisieurope - MS Renior - 4 Days Paris, Cruising the River Seine, Paris
2014 December 9 Celebrity Solstice - 12 Days New Zealand & Australia - Auckland, Bay of Islands, Tauranga, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin, Dusky Sound, Doubtful Sound, Milford Sound, Hobart
2012 July 22 MSC Poesia - 7 Days Scandinavia & Baltics - Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin, St. Petersburg, Kiel
2012 July 15 MSC Poesia - 7 Days Northern Europe - Copenhagen, Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, Hellesylt / Geiranger, Kiel
2009 October 15 Carnival Dream - 13 days Europe - Civitavecchia, Naples, Venice, Dubrovnik, Sicily, Barcelona, Monaco/Monte Carlo, Livorno
2006 December 24 Superstar Virgo - 7 Days Asia - Singapore, Penang, Phuket, Malacca, Port Klang
San Francisco Bay Area
8,909 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by Noggins
Paul, I know you admire the Marina decor (Oceania) and I think you will like the Crystal look too - which overall is a bit more understated and not as consistent as a brand new ship can be. But particularly where the decor has been refurbished it is very elegant, quite brave but definitely classy (and absolutely not in a Vegas way - imho)
We have had more Oceania days than Crystal but, looking ahead, the ratio will reverse quickly now. Prepare to find your loyalties shifting!
Noggins,
Thank you for your note. It is appreciated as you know Oceania well and thus have good basis for comparison.
We are definitely looking forward to our first Crystal cruise.
As for “shifting loyalties” - anything is possible, If that were to be the case, I would have a long way to go as we have 27 Oceania cruises with several more booked.
But, we’ll see
Florida
4,528 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by Bodogbodog
We are underway! - farewell Los Angeles
That's wonderful! As you probably can tell, many of us who are not with you are sitting at the edge of our chairs, loving hearing much of the detail/seeing the photos.

Fyi, Soarin' and Peter Pan are two of the very busiest at Disney World in Orlando, although they aren't at the same parks (Epcot being separate from Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom). Buzz Lightyear and Haunted Mansion also very popular.

Bon voyage.