Steakhouse with kids?

highlandcruiz

We were thinking about going to the steakhouse the first night, but do they offer anything for kids (since the kids club will be closed)?

Our six year old has good manners, and loves good food - but I don't want to pay $35 for more food than she could possibly eat.

Why don't you take them to Cucina del Capitano for dinner. I am sorry but I think they will be bored sitting that long. We have eaten in steak house a dozen times. It is a long dinner. Usually no kids at all. Just ate there a couple nites ago. It is a very quiet place. There were no kids at all. Usually over 21. I would not bring any kids there. I love the Italian place. It is more relaxing and fun. We just did the Breeze again. Food is so good at cucina. I myself like it better.

We have no problem sitting for an hour and a half in the MDR, and certainly a half hour longer in the steakhouse. We go as a family and enjoy the good food. The filets and the lobster are just the right size for the kids.

Only the parents know if their children can't handle sitting for dinner. If they couldn't, I would pass. We are fortunate to be able to eat anywhere.

It is a lot of food for most adults. So it may be a lot of food for your daughter. But there are other things on the menu besides steak. The sea bass is very good. Lamb chops are smaller. Garlic mash potatoes would probably be a good bet. And the chocolate sampler for desert.

What good about the first night is that it's more casual, so that fits for not having to get gussied up. And Mom and Dad can relax with that free bottle of wine.

I'm not a fan of smaller/younger children in fancier restaurants as a rule, but some personalities can be endearing.

Enjoy yourself and your cruise.

There is no special kids menu. You will need to pay the $35 and chose from the regular menu. As to whether or not kids belong in the steakhouse I think as long as your 6 yr old is well behaved and not cause a distruption to the other patrons, I don't see an issue. Only you know if your 6 year old is mature enough to handle a 2 hour dinner in a quiet atmosphere.

We have no problem sitting for an hour and a half in the MDR, and certainly a half hour longer in the steakhouse. We go as a family and enjoy the good food. The filets and the lobster are just the right size for the kids.

Only the parents know if their children can't handle sitting for dinner. If they couldn't, I would pass. We are fortunate to be able to eat anywhere.

This is the way I feel, as well.:)

If you have the right kind of kids for it, the Steakhouse can be a lovely dining experience for the whole family. And if you have the right kind of kids for dining at the Steakhouse, other diners either won't notice your kids are there at all, or will only notice them because of the children's good manners, with the inevitable few stopping by your table to compliment them on said manners;).

Why don't you take them to Cucina del Capitano for dinner. I am sorry but I think they will be bored sitting that long. We have eaten in steak house a dozen times. It is a long dinner. Usually no kids at all. Just ate there a couple nites ago. It is a very quiet place. There were no kids at all. Usually over 21. I would not bring any kids there. I love the Italian place. It is more relaxing and fun. We just did the Breeze again. Food is so good at cucina. I myself like it better.

Currently, guests of all ages are welcome in the steakhouses on Carnival ships. In our experience at the steakhouse, there have been many guests under the age of 21 (including at my own table)! Our kids have been been enjoying the steakhouse experience since they were pre-teens; and we have seen younger children there. If your child is able to sit through a longer dining experience, feel free to bring her.

My son has been going to the steakhouse with us since he was 7 - we have taught him what is acceptable behavior in a restaurant and what is not. And yes, we have been complimented on it :-) I think only you as a parent know what their child's limitations are - mine eats from a regular menu as well, that helps.

Please don't condemn all children because of a few that just can't behave - if I applied that logic to adults, we would be in serious trouble all round LOL

We were thinking about going to the steakhouse the first night, but do they offer anything for kids (since the kids club will be closed)?

Our six year old has good manners, and loves good food - but I don't want to pay $35 for more food than she could possibly eat.

Why do you have to go the first night? For the crappy bottle of wine? My kid is great in restaurants, but I'd rather send her to the kids club and enjoy a nice dinner without her, than get the wine. The money you save on her meal could be spent on a few glasses of much better wine.

OP wasn't asking everyone's opinion on whether or not to go dining with her child. She was asking if there were kid's menus.

Op, I'm with you...my child(ren) has no problem sitting through a proper dinner. They have manners. I raised them that way.

If they are never in a proper environment, how do we expect them to ever learn it?

It would be nice if there were a child's menu available. Children like eating great food too.

I do believe it's to discourage children as well. But hey, if you want to splurge, go for it.

sometimes i'd rather sit next to a child than some other loud, obnoxious fool snorting and laughing and talking loudly.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

My son has been going to the steakhouse with us since he was 7 - we have taught him what is acceptable behavior in a restaurant and what is not. And yes, we have been complimented on it :-) I think only you as a parent know what their child's limitations are - mine eats from a regular menu as well, that helps.

Please don't condemn all children because of a few that just can't behave - if I applied that logic to adults, we would be in serious trouble all round LOL

Love this! So true!

Perfectly well behaved children can still grow impatient having to sit through a long, drawn out two-hour meal. I'm not sure I would enjoy it myself. DH enjoys a good steak, so I would reserve the steakhouse as a treat to him. And while my kids would probably be bored, I doubt they would freak out or disturb anyone. They know better than that. Both would have no problem ordering off of the adult menu. My 11-year old already does. But I'm not paying $35 for them to eat in there. That's just out. I've only been to one really nice upscale steakhouse and don't recall a children's menu.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

OP wasn't asking everyone's opinion on whether or not to go dining with her child. She was asking if there were kid's menus.

Op, I'm with you...my child(ren) has no problem sitting through a proper dinner. They have manners. I raised them that way.

If they are never in a proper environment, how do we expect them to ever learn it?

It would be nice if there were a child's menu available. Children like eating great food too.

I do believe it's to discourage children as well. But hey, if you want to splurge, go for it.

sometimes i'd rather sit next to a child than some other loud, obnoxious fool snorting and laughing and talking loudly.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

So you nudge people for giving the OP opinions that she didn't ask for, and then you go on to give the OP opinions she didn't ask for? :rolleyes:

I've been in the steakhouse seated next to a large party where the under 10 crowd were the best behaved ones at the table! And, as others have said, sadly no kids menu.

We didn't ask other customers or posters on Cruise Critic, and glad we didn't, as most answers are driven by an agenda of what some would like to see.

We went to the MD to make our reservation, to ask about attire, and about our 7 year old. That particular MD told us that we would be charged a fee ONLY if our kid had an entree, but could have starters and othe non entree items for no charge. However, when we went, she ended up having a steakhouse entree and loving it.

Other have reported other friendly accomodations, like getting chicken nuggets while the parents ordered the regular fare. That was the nicest thing I heard.

So it is all up to how and who you ask. Some may accommodate, and some may not. Same thing when you want some extra starters, soups or salads. Sometimes you get it, and sometimes you don't.

And most imprtant, go as early as possible. This way you're in and out of there before the crowds start, if at all.

Enjoy!

We only cook one dinner at home. It comprises of "adult" food. Since my kids were little tykes, they have been eating "adult" food. Maybe the steak is cut in half for two of them, but they always ate it. "Kid's" menu are nothing more than a "cheap" menu to get parents into a restaurant. The specialty restaurants on board are money making areas, so each seat has a cost. They aren't trying to get "parents" into the restaurant, since the ship has kid's clubs already. Your answer is no, they pay for the seat they take up, regardless of the age or amount of food they consume. So at home, you want to go out, and not spend money, you get a babysitter? On the ship, you fork out the $35 for a meal. Just a parental choice until they get old enought where it no longer is an issue. :)

Most everyone thinks their child is well behaved and can handle most dining situations. The last time we ate at the Steakhouse was on the Miracle. There was a 10 year old boy who hummed the same song over and over again. He couldn't sit still and was up and down constantly. It was just him and his mother and he was annoying. So, save yourself the $35 and go to the MDR and eat at the Steakhouse when she can be in camp. JMHO.