River crusing

Boynton Gal

We cruised on Vantage and enjoyed the cruise experience with them. The crew was attentive, the cruise manager was excellent, the food was good, and the cabin was well laid out.

Vantage does not commission TAs, it's all direct sales. I think that works against them from a PR perspective. We did find their office a little difficult to deal with when some pre- cruise issues developed. That aside, we were treated very well onboard.

We cruised on Vantage and enjoyed the cruise experience with them. The crew was attentive, the cruise manager was excellent, the food was good, and the cabin was well laid out.

Vantage does not commission TAs, it's all direct sales. I think that works against them from a PR perspective. We did find their office a little difficult to deal with when some pre- cruise issues developed. That aside, we were treated very well onboard.

I think that this is a common experience with Vantage. People are happy on the boat, but they're often frustrated when dealing with the folks in Boston. I wonder if part of the problem is the fact that river cruising is just one part of Vantage's business. They do a lot of land tours as well. We've done Vantage once (Rhine/Moselle) and will give them another try this spring on the Douro.

I've sailed with only Vantage and Viking. Both were fine, sailing Vantage a second time next November.

The thing I look for on the ships is if they have a second dining area. The Main dining room is too loud for me, and takes too long. The Viking Longship and the newer Vantage ships both have that feature. That and fold down beds are my only deal-breaker. (and the people who are OK with the fold-down beds really like Grand CIrcle).

I've sailed with only Vantage and Viking. Both were fine, sailing Vantage a second time next November.

The thing I look for on the ships is if they have a second dining area. The Main dining room is too loud for me, and takes too long. The Viking Longship and the newer Vantage ships both have that feature. That and fold down beds are my only deal-breaker. (and the people who are OK with the fold-down beds really like Grand CIrcle).

What is a fold down bed? Is this like a bed that comes down from the wall? Have never had one of them on either river or ocean cruise.

What is a fold down bed? Is this like a bed that comes down from the wall? Have never had one of them on either river or ocean cruise.

From Grand Circle's Web site:

• Two twin beds that convert to sofas. During the day, you can sit and relax on a sofa. When you arrive back at your cabin in the evening, you’ll find the couch has been converted to a bed. Please note: Twin beds are stationary and cannot be combined into a double bed.

I think another lines boats are set up that way, can't remember the name. People who have sailed them really liked them. It's good to have choices. I just consider Vantage and Viking to be pretty similar.