Pirate Bay and Rum retreat

c-leg5

Has anyone taken the Pirate Bay and Rum retreat RTE9 excursion through Royal Caribbean, at Sandy Bay?

Any reviews as to the resort used and is the rum factory on site? The actual rum factory looks to be away from the coast so I am wondering if this excursion includes the same place? It also mentions chocolate factory and jade museum but these places all seem far apart and since transportation seems to be a shuttle and not a tour, the description seems very confusing!

Looking for some first- hand experience to clarify!

Gee, c-leg5, I guess no one has been on this excursion. I even called RCCL and asked and couldn't get an answer. I am sending an email to shorex@rccl.com and see if they can give me any information. Will share if I get some answers.

Thanks ! Keep me posted. I thought about writing to shorex but haven’t had much luck previously.

I decided to try and ask on Vision in a couple of weeks ( they don’t go to Roatan but wondered if they could get me an answer).

Otherwise, since it doesn’t seem over popular, I will wait until onboard Liberty to book. Will let you know if I find anything!

Thanks! I got an automatic email from shorex saying they will be answering soon. When are you sailing? We sail February 25th.

We are on the same sailing! I thought from a previous post you already had a driver for the day? Are you thinking of changing to ship excursion?

Have you joined roll call and meet and mingle?

I was thinking of getting a driver like we did in 2004, but i've read several posts that said it wasn't a good idea. That might eliminate the hassle with getting back to the ship when you want to, rather than waiting for the excursion bus. Haven't had a chance to join roll call and meet and mingle yet.

I was thinking of getting a driver like we did in 2004, but i've read several posts that said it wasn't a good idea. That might eliminate the hassle with getting back to the ship when you want to, rather than waiting for the excursion bus. Haven't had a chance to join roll call and meet and mingle yet.

I wonder why some people were saying a driver is not a good idea.

From what I read it sounded like some authorities were protecting the beach area for ship excursion use only (including the part of the beach that was supposed to be public). One reviewer said they were threatened by the authority figure and called the police. The police confirmed that a part of the beach was public and they could stay in that area. Not a type of confrontation that I care to deal with on vacation. Just want to go and have a nice time.

From what I read it sounded like some authorities were protecting the beach area for ship excursion use only (including the part of the beach that was supposed to be public). One reviewer said they were threatened by the authority figure and called the police. The police confirmed that a part of the beach was public and they could stay in that area. Not a type of confrontation that I care to deal with on vacation. Just want to go and have a nice time.

How does that relate to having a private driver? I assume you are talking about Tabayana?

Because they did not buy a ship excursion. They took a private cab to the beach and did not pay for the excursion or beach access. Am I misunderstanding private driver? Can you get a private driver for a ship excursion? I guess you can. As long as you have the wrist band. Didn't think of that. Need to think outside the box!

Because they did not buy a ship excursion. They took a private cab to the beach and did not pay for the excursion or beach access. Am I misunderstanding private driver? Can you get a private driver for a ship excursion? I guess you can. As long as you have the wrist band. Didn't think of that. Need to think outside the box!

I would be interested to know where these people were.

The beaches are public but the facilities are payable. There is some discussion about just how much sand is public and how much sand is not. I recommend, if you're looking for a beach day, to pay one of the resorts a day pass which includes transportation, that way you're not stepping on anybody's toes.

Hey c-leg5. Just received an email from shorex. Here is their response. Sounds like they did a cut and paste of the description from the excursion brochure.

Where exactly do we go on the excursion RTE9 Pirate Bay and Rum Retreat? It says it is at Sandy Beach 5 miles from the pier, but I cant find this designation on the Roatan map and it is definitely not close to the Rum factory or the Chocolate factory that I do see on the map: Pirate bay is in Sandy Beach which is located just 5 miles (20) from the pier, and a short drive will take you to our beautiful little piece of beach paradise. At Sandy Bay Beach, you will enjoy the visit to our exclusive Rum factory and learn how this drink, favored by the pirates is created. Also have the option of enjoying our beautiful private and secluded beach, surrounded by the lush nature of the area, or you can also enjoy the use of our refreshing pool, while enjoying a refreshing drink and snack from the Tiki Bar or, if you want a more formal meal, you can enjoy our “Palapa” restaurant which serves local cuisine. There is also a beautiful natural lagoon, where you can enjoy the use of our small boats. There is also a Spa, where you can have a relaxing massage or beautiful treatment. Entertainment is also provided, so you can enjoy local music, while our entertainers will make you time and unforgettable experience with you family and loved ones. And your kids, they can have a great time kayaking at our beautiful lagoon, or enjoy a learning experience with our Chocolate Factory Tour. You can also learn about Jade in our Mystique Jade Museum or rent snorkeling equipment to enjoy at the beach. Shuttle Services will depart every Half Hour when you are ready to return to the ship. Thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any other question or request, please let us know.

Hey c-leg5. Just received an email from shorex. Here is their response. Sounds like they did a cut and paste of the description from the excursion brochure.

Where exactly do we go on the excursion RTE9 Pirate Bay and Rum Retreat? It says it is at Sandy Beach 5 miles from the pier, but I cant find this designation on the Roatan map and it is definitely not close to the Rum factory or the Chocolate factory that I do see on the map: Pirate bay is in Sandy Beach which is located just 5 miles (20) from the pier, and a short drive will take you to our beautiful little piece of beach paradise. At Sandy Bay Beach, you will enjoy the visit to our exclusive Rum factory and learn how this drink, favored by the pirates is created. Also have the option of enjoying our beautiful private and secluded beach, surrounded by the lush nature of the area, or you can also enjoy the use of our refreshing pool, while enjoying a refreshing drink and snack from the Tiki Bar or, if you want a more formal meal, you can enjoy our “Palapa” restaurant which serves local cuisine. There is also a beautiful natural lagoon, where you can enjoy the use of our small boats. There is also a Spa, where you can have a relaxing massage or beautiful treatment. Entertainment is also provided, so you can enjoy local music, while our entertainers will make you time and unforgettable experience with you family and loved ones. And your kids, they can have a great time kayaking at our beautiful lagoon, or enjoy a learning experience with our Chocolate Factory Tour. You can also learn about Jade in our Mystique Jade Museum or rent snorkeling equipment to enjoy at the beach. Shuttle Services will depart every Half Hour when you are ready to return to the ship. Thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any other question or request, please let us know.

I am sorry to hear this, I wanted to know more about it. Sandy Bay is miles long. I thought the Rum Factory was on the road between West End and West Bay but that could be a different place. I think a map should be part of the descriptions. :0)

We did an island tour a few years ago that said it stopped at the Rum factory....turned out to just be their store where you got to sample and buy bottles. Also, chocolate factory was same, just a tiny store that sold chocolate, maybe they made it in the back room. LOL We asked about the Rum Factory and were told it is a long way away, on the island but no where near the "tourist" areas, so they built this store for a tourist stop.

robin

LOL, you had me excited I though you had actually got some news! Unfortunately that has been my experience with shore desk. You are right they have just copied and pasted - nothing new.

I will see if I can find out any more on the Vision but they don’t actually go there so it depends how “helpful” they want to be.

We did an island tour a few years ago that said it stopped at the Rum factory....turned out to just be their store where you got to sample and buy bottles. Also, chocolate factory was same, just a tiny store that sold chocolate, maybe they made it in the back room. LOL We asked about the Rum Factory and were told it is a long way away, on the island but no where near the "tourist" areas, so they built this store for a tourist stop.

robin

Not really interested in factory been to many before but was looking to sample rum and cake.

The real question is that from what I have read about the rum store it is NOT on the beach and has a backyard “bar”, so I am wondering if this is the same place as described in the Royal Caribbean tour?

May just get a driver for the day and devise our own tour as usual. Unfortunately I am also having problems getting Rony to reply so may have to look for another driver company.

Not really interested in factory been to many before but was looking to sample rum and cake.

The real question is that from what I have read about the rum store it is NOT on the beach and has a backyard “bar”, so I am wondering if this is the same place as described in the Royal Caribbean tour?

May just get a driver for the day and devise our own tour as usual. Unfortunately, I am also having problems getting Rony to reply so may have to look for another driver company.

Heaps of people on Trip Advisor recommend George Lumus, there is a search option if you wish to confirm.

george@roatancustomtours.com Edit ~ found his website. http://www.roatancustomtours.com/

on another note, the Roatan Rum Company Facebook page is active, their website is under construction. One may get a reply to an email asking for location roatanrumcompany@yahoo.com or post to their FB page https://www.facebook.com/pg/RoatanRumCompany/reviews/?ref=page_internal

I found a video about the Chocolate factory, seems they have four shops, Mahogany Bay, Coxen Hole Port and West End, and a fourth, the video shows staff crushing cocoa beans, I think they make chocolate in West End.

They also have a Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/theroatanchocolatefactory/

Heaps of people on Trip Advisor recommend George Lumus, there is a search option if you wish to confirm.

george@roatancustomtours.com Edit ~ found his website. http://www.roatancustomtours.com/

on another note, the Roatan Rum Company Facebook page is active, their website is under construction. One may get a reply to an email asking for location roatanrumcompany@yahoo.com or post to their FB page https://www.facebook.com/pg/RoatanRumCompany/reviews/?ref=page_internal

I found a video about the Chocolate factory, seems they have four shops, Mahogany Bay, Coxen Hole Port and West End, and a fourth, the video shows staff crushing cocoa beans, I think they make chocolate in West End.

They also have a Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/theroatanchocolatefactory/

Thanks will check out the links.

Received reply from Rony now, probably just connection issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerancin,

Back from Vision now! Unfortunately although shore excursions tried to be helpful they couldn’t pull up anything beyond the standard response you posted either. The member of crew had lived on Roatan but didn’t know the exact location of the place and thought it was a cruise ship name!

He thought the shuttle service to and from the Beach may/may not make stops at the rum factory, jade museum etc.

Sorry not really anything new to report and guess we will just have to ask on board.