Bar Harbor, Getting back to ship

Jennilee17

I tried searching for this answer but cannot find what I am looking for. We are planning on taking the Island Explorer into Acadia National park and stopping at a couple of stops. We have small kids that like to explore and hike. Once we are done at a location, just as an example bubble pond, how do we get back to the ship directly? From what I can tell the buses run in loops that look like about 2 hours from start to finish. Am I wrong? Sorry for the confusing question. I checked the Uber app and they don't appear to have cars available in Bar Harbor.

You are right about the bus routes being loops but not all are 2 hour loops. Your example, Bubble Rock, is served by 2 routes, #4 & #5. Route #4 does a 1H + 12M loop while route #5 does a 1H + 50M loop.

To get back to the ship, you would have to catch a bus that is inbound, but there are 2 different inbound buses. Buses that are inbound to the Bar Harbor Village Green, and buses that are inbound to the Visitor Center.

If you take a #4 bus to the VC, you will have to board another bus to get you to the Bar Harbor Village Green. It is about a 10 minute ride VC to the BHVG.

Just remember as you are planing, the Park Loop (route #4) travels in a clockwise direction and the eastern portion of the loop is a one way road. Sand Breach, Thunder Hole and Otter Cliffs are all on the one way portion of the Park Loop Road. There is a trail that connects the 3.

SBtS

Thank you for your response. Bus routes are beyond confusing to me. Really any public transit for that matter. We have no system like this where I live. The only system we have is get in car, sit in traffic, fight for parking, arrive at destination. Ha! Thank you for your help!

You are right about the bus routes being loops but not all are 2 hour loops. Your example, Bubble Rock, is served by 2 routes, #4 & #5. Route #4 does a 1H + 12M loop while route #5 does a 1H + 50M loop.

To get back to the ship, you would have to catch a bus that is inbound, but there are 2 different inbound buses. Buses that are inbound to the Bar Harbor Village Green, and buses that are inbound to the Visitor Center.

If you take a #4 bus to the VC, you will have to board another bus to get you to the Bar Harbor Village Green. It is about a 10 minute ride VC to the BHVG.

Just remember as you are planing, the Park Loop (route #4) travels in a clockwise direction and the eastern portion of the loop is a one way road. Sand Breach, Thunder Hole and Otter Cliffs are all on the one way portion of the Park Loop Road. There is a trail that connects the 3.

SBtS

We do exactly what you are planning to do in Bar Harbor/Acadia minus the kids. When you get on the Island Explorer, pick up a newspaper with the bus timetables in it. That way you can plan to be at the bus stop when the bus will arrive. One problem from Bubble Pond is that the bus will probably be full. They let us on, but we had to stand.