Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

I can’t comment on the rain but on the Northumberland beach this morning it was just above freezing .... then the wind chill was applied! I thought it was a mistake when I saw snow on the sand dunes!

The big problem was the crowds ....

91e2ecbe22171f7fdaa8d1a8ab58b38e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is something a little down-heartening about snow on a beach! Stay warm Mike!

Here is a link to an interesting video with the caption "Nothing Stops Canadian Trains". Locomotive rams through huge snow banks on the tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMqFTfJZ_Y

OOO! That was a great little video. Maybe we need a train in our driveway...haha!

Actually our snow is just about gone now, thanks to some rain and warmer temps. Now everything is just grey outside.

Guess I need to show some up coming SS cruise visions in my head!

Good job in going back to work Lois...keep up the good work, but don't over do it!

Linda

FWIW we have been doing 14 hours each way to Singapore, sometimes three returns a year and until a few years ago with the added 8+ hours on to Sydney. Our rules are straightforward. Always set your watch to destination time and behave at that time. Ensure you arrive at the destination tired so that first night local time you sleep like a log. It is easier to keep awake if you are tired than to sleep if you are well slept and wide awake. This ensures minimum jetlag.

Self-medicate... heavily.

Arrived last night in Hong Kong. Got here a little ahead of schedule. Only about a 15 hour flight!! Appreciate these various tips from Jeff, Bill, J.P., etc. Got a little sleep on the plane and some this morning at the hotel. On the plane, passed much of the time watching about ten segments of the Netflick's hit "House of Cards"!! That helped pass the time, with the added assist from a nice Bordeaux wine, lunch, dinner, etc. Yes, some "self medicating"!!

My body clock will still need a few more days to get better adjusted. Feeling fine and energized now, however. That's the good news! Below are a couple of quick visuals from Hong Kong last night. Very alive and interesting city.

Sorry for Jacksonville. Seems that New England made several dramatic come-backs and that 40-year QB Brady gave another "Tom the Terrific" performance from what I read. Too bad for Lois. Next year will be better. BUT, other NFL teams will be improving, too!

Upcoming weather here in Hong Kong seems great for the next two days. High's around 70-72F, sunny and pleasant. Wonderful!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 194,467 views for this posting.

Here are a couple of quick Hong Kong visuals from our initial night here. First is the view from our 16th floor room showing the fun lights for this scenic harbor area. Second is the hotel next door to us. It's the historic and famous Peninsula Hotel. We are in a great location for exploring Hong Kong.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CMZ_8992%202_zpshoq2gg8w.jpg

IMG_2417%201_zpssxoriv7s.jpg

Here is my wife toasting for enjoying the start of our flight. Being in business class really helps for these super long journeys. Second is one of the lunch food treats served by Cathay Pacific during our flight. Very nice service by their attentive staff.:

IMG_2398%203_zpslxikgdv2.jpg

IMG_2404%204_zpscsgkivfc.jpg

On our flight was a Chicago celebrity chef who attracted big "buzz" from the airline staff and others. He's Graham Elliot and he has gain three James Beard Foundation award nominations, competing on both Iron Chef and Top Chef Masters and was named one of Food & Wine’s “Best New Chefs” in 2004. He was flying to here to open a new dining place in Macau at the MGM Cotai. He sat right in front of me on the plane and I got to talk with him at some length. Interesting, energetic, fun guy!:

IMG_2390%207_zpscvptbeof.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Glad to hear from you, Terry. Looks like you had a fun trip over!

Lois, don't work too hard. I went back 5 days after my lap chole and it was tough...plus I was still 30-something back then.

M, enjoyed the train video. Sometimes I try that with my Audi!

Rain and temps above freezing here too. Lots of melting!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hello Coolers!

I tend to think that, when traveling, DH and I are jinxed. I've already shared previous horror stories...but read on. We debarked the cruise in Miami and the plane to Charlotte left on time. We reached Charlotte on time as well, but did not de-plane until 45 minutes afterwards (for who's to know reason) and lost our connection. We waited five hours until an available connection to Syracuse and arrived well by midnight. At that hour we found that the taxi booth at the airport was closed (due to Uber, we are told) and waited to get a taxi on call. As we are driving towards home, the taxi car breaks down and will not run. The driver calls his company, and it's a half hour before a taxi arrives.... in 19F temperature and no heat. Finally we get home well after 2am. The next day DH is not feeling well and has flu symptoms (he has been vaccinated). Today we went to our doctor who informed us that the flu mutated in January and the flu shot would not work. We have not been able to see our family to avoid contagion and are house-bound for at least when I get over it. As the British say...bummer!!!

I have submitted the Seabourn cruise review, and I'll share the link when posted. So good to be back and able to read and enjoy all your postings! Keep them coming.

Loved Mr and Mrs. "Terry's" photos! Looks like Cathy Pacific is the way to go if you're going in that direction.

John and I have only recently started to go business class, and now we've created a monster....there's no going back!

Kinda like cruising on a great line like SS....there's no going back!

Have a good night all,

Linda

Glad you enjoyed the train video Linda and JP! Would love to see your Audi plow through snow like that JP! What a thrill!

Cam, your travel nightmares are quickly becoming legendary! You must be reluctant to leave your home at this point!

Cams ... what a sorry tale. Send Roberto the best, but if you don't mind I'm not expecting a kiss.:D

Linda, Cathy Pacific is a fine lady and if you want a bit of planey fun do join the BA thread over on SB where you will encounter many angry people .......... :)

The key thing if you want to travel above your wallet and/or station is get to understand the rules and wrinkles and consider building up a mile mountain for the time you can travel flexibly,and keep your fingers crossed.

Glad to hear from you, Terry. Looks like you had a fun trip over!

Loved Mr and Mrs. "Terry's" photos! Looks like Cathy Pacific is the way to go if you're going in that direction. John and I have only recently started to go business class, and now we've created a monster....there's no going back!

Appreciate these nice follow-ups. Yes, J.P., it was fun flying over. Just showered (felt great) and now ready for breakfast. Just saw a large Star cruise ship pass in front of our hotel window. That company now owns and controls upscale Crystal.

Agree with Mudhen that once you do business class that it does spoil you.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,905 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In departing, we had to leave behind our yellow lab, Rudy! Here was Rudy Saturday afternoon as we were preparing to him to take his country "camp".:

IMG_2375%2010_zpspajt2cwj.jpg

To prepare for these types of "adventures", doing a decent amount of research and reading helps. Below are three books, among many, that I have used. This includes a recent, well-detailed book on the Jan-Feb. 1968 Tet Offensive that centered around the historic Vietnam capital of Hue. That was a key turning point in we call the Vietnam War. Second are a couple of books that came out just recently detailing the two largest cities in Vietnam. Nice, colorful covers for both of these books:

CMZ_8972%209_zpsdujknx1v.jpg

CMZ_8973%202_zpsxlxxrkcc.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

John and I have only recently started to go business class, and now we've created a monster....there's no going back!

Kinda like cruising on a great line like SS....there's no going back!

Have a good night all,

Linda

No doubt. Our first taste of business class was when we upgraded for a really expensive sum of money back in 2008, the first time we flew to Australia. After experiencing international business class one time, there is really no going back...How can you compare? Since then, we've flown business for almost every overseas destination.

For us, our vacation time is at a premium, and we have to make the most of it. So we can't waste a day of vacation feeling jetlagged. Business class makes it much easier in that regard. We arrive less tired and can hit the ground running. If we didn't fly business class we would not be able to take as many vacations as we currently do.

Plus, I'll admit it, it's really nice to have the priority check in, upgraded baggage allowance (though we rarely use it), the faster security lines, lounge access, early boarding, and champagne before takeoff. And we're off the plane quickly and can get to the head of the line for immigration, etc. Travel can be really unpleasant. Business class makes it a little better.

In the pre-biz days, the flight home from any vacation was a terrible downer, and it was just compounded by a long miserable experience in economy. At least in business class, you can look forward to a nice flight home.

I'm just praying that the BA Redemptions Gods shine's his light on us so we can get the two return flights from Singapore in F in a couple of weeks. I offered her Business which is easier to get but she declined on the basis that Laurent Perrier Big Cycle isn't served. This travel would no longer be possible if it wasn't for miles and a couple of Amex 241s per year. I recommend it to everyone. :)

Terry, Are you planning to start a fresh blog thread? You have a lot of fans who say that they don't read the Cooler and it'd be a real shame if they missed your travels.

Larry is reading Hue now, he was flying C-130s during that conflict. (1967-72). Rudy doesn't look too sad, camp is always fun. Glad you like the hotel, we loved our room.

Yes, Jeff! Appreciate your mentioning. In another week or less, I will start my live/blog for this trip. It will be on the "River Cruising" board of Cruise Critic. Will share that link here.

Great to know from silkismom that Larry has been reading the "Hue 1968". It really gives lots of historic background for that period in our history. And, for Vietnam, too! At the end of this month, Jan. 31, will be the 50th anniversary for the start of the Tet Offensive.

Have a few morning pictures from walking around near our hotel. Doing much more this afternoon with our private guide. Really nice and sunny right now. Just to clarify, we are not lucky (and rich) enough to be staying at the super luxury Peninsular Hotel. Just next door! Still same great areas nearby, but saving money for other activities planned during this adventure. Yes, our Rudy enjoying going to the country place and being some other dogs. Very much loved by Rudy to go there while we are traveling.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 229,499 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is sampling of morning pictures in Hong Kong. First is the Star cruise ship passing by our hotel this morning. Second is a view inside the classic Peninsula Hotel. The final visuals are typical of the sights around this busy and booming town. Nothing too boring or bland in Hong Kong.:

CMZ_8997%202_zpss0kupkvv.jpg

CMZ_9002%203_zpsftxmvpjb.jpg

CMZ_9014%204_zpslq7fkjgh.jpg

CMZ_9017%201_zpsfnqmplnh.jpg

Terry's jottings from HK are making me nostalgic after living there for 3 years in the early 90s. Get back every few years. Here's a piccy from a recent visit:

47c59203359782263445edc1a3210e82.jpg

That is Mrs TTS arriving at the airport for the return home. However her arrival at the Peninsula was somewhat less dignified. The RR picked us up from the InterContinental for our special 1 night '' suite experience''. We arrived at the front door and a liveried door man opened her door whereupon Mrs TTS tripped on the door sill while exiting and arrived flat on her face! OHs can be so embarrassing sometimes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Forums mobile app

No doubt. Our first taste of business class was when we upgraded for a really expensive sum of money back in 2008, the first time we flew to Australia. After experiencing international business class one time, there is really no going back...How can you compare? Since then, we've flown business for almost every overseas destination.

For us, our vacation time is at a premium, and we have to make the most of it. So we can't waste a day of vacation feeling jetlagged. Business class makes it much easier in that regard. We arrive less tired and can hit the ground running. If we didn't fly business class we would not be able to take as many vacations as we currently do.

Plus, I'll admit it, it's really nice to have the priority check in, upgraded baggage allowance (though we rarely use it), the faster security lines, lounge access, early boarding, and champagne before takeoff. And we're off the plane quickly and can get to the head of the line for immigration, etc. Travel can be really unpleasant. Business class makes it a little better.

In the pre-biz days, the flight home from any vacation was a terrible downer, and it was just compounded by a long miserable experience in economy. At least in business class, you can look forward to a nice flight home.

Hi JP:).....my first Business class was last summer (when I first tried SS)....OMG....thought I had died and gone to heaven;)......you know I am booked from Venice to Nice this coming summer and I paid for the upgrade to Business class again:D............it was so fantastic........seat going all the way down to a bed.....and they even know your name.

And you eat on real china.........with REAL food................I think for overseas flights I will not be flying coach again.

I can't say I will pay the extra for a domestic flight though.

Tasty looking chicken! I love to spatchcock a Cornish hen and put that on the grill. Trimmed that way, it cooks in about 10 minutes.

Last night I made short ribs. We broke open an Chilean wine that we brought back from our trip, a "Syragnan" from Bodegas RE in the Casablanca Valley. A delicious red blend of Syrah and Carignan, as the cutesy name suggests.

97a4573395034015e4bb93f127e82a1a.jpg

After slow-cooking the ribs for about 24 hours, I seared some onions and mushrooms then poured the cooking broth over and boiled it down into a thicker sauce. I then browned the rib meat chunks in a pan, put them over air-fried potatoes, and poured the sauce over. So tasty. But I was full after all of that food.

fbfa495c24128ebcb07b3d4d8fa34a5c.jpg

We have not been exercising much since we got back from all of our trips, but we really need to get back to it before my birthday trip in 7 weeks. The weather outside has been ugly and there still isn't enough daylight to even do a quick walk after work, so we're stuck with going out only on weekends.

The treadmill in the basement is getting old and starting to feel worn out, plus it's unpleasant down there in the "dungeon" so we aren't going down there at all any more. I'm thinking of ordering a new one and putting it on the first floor where it's more pleasant.

On the home front, the master bathroom remodel is essentially done so we're starting to move back to that side of the house. We put the curtains back up in our master bedroom this weekend, after I did a quick second coat of paint. We'll probably finish the move this weekend. Can't wait to start using the new master bath!

These sinks are gorgeous.

1be1cc13db69e1f02d3f9a94cfda5850.jpg

And the lighted mirrors.

48f5d191f67680d3c3b9a3ad7c2163d3.jpg

Nice soaking tub. The black object that looks like a ladder in the tub is an illusion. It's the handle on the glass shower door, in shadow, so it looks dark.

98d1a5b1d0cde28c6970da0c4eb79702.jpg

This shower is amazing!

8192d20ea33003f8ecb38489cc0cbc07.jpg

Yesterday we had electric blinds installed in the windows, so we're ready to go.

JP, the food is wonderful ..... but those fittings are really lovely. I do so love the high quality but unfussy classic design of it all. The shower door is lovely work of art. Did you buy the bowls somewhere interesting?

When we refitted our house it felt so difficult to find quality good design items. We ended up importing door handles from Italy and even solid oak doors from a factory near Barcalona who shipped to us via Ireland. Tiles came in from Portugal. Things have improved.

it's so important to keep on top of fitness and weight and I feel pretty pleased with myself for getting some of those pounds off and I'm starting to feel the benefit. BP probably still too high and cholesterol as well. But hey ho!

I think I'm using WOW too much.....or OOOOO! So how 'bout a "gosh golly" to all that wonderful food and the bathroom to die for! We should probably be throwing some of our cruise monies on the house.......nah!

Will be looking for news from "the Terrys"! They're out there somewhere!

Spagetti and sausage tonight. Homemade mac and cheese tomorrow!

Have a good day, all!