BLU fresh squeezed OJ ?

dis2cruise

Don’t think freshly squeezed juice is offered any more...they removed the machines something along the lines of it being hard to source consistent quality fruit? But they do have 'freshly squeezed concentrate' that’s not half as bad as it sounds [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did a B2B on the Equinox. The first leg in AQ and the second in a balcony.

Had breakfast in both Blu and the MDR. Had OJ in both and didn’t notice any difference. Also found that the menu was better in the MDR, service just and good and they constantly can around with the same pastry tray, juices and coffee.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

it's not concentrate...it's the same as freshly squeezed OJ that you can buy in any supermarket. It's squeezed into juice before it ever gets on the ship.

And that would be the definition of many OJs sold in the refrigerated section of a supermarket. For example, the very common Florida Natural brand is made from 100% Fresh OJ. But once put in a bottle it is anything but fresh. I live in Puerto Valllarta (in the winter) where I simply walk out to the street and buy fresh squeezed OJ (it is squeezed as I watch). If I leave it in the refrigerator the taste quickly deteriorates day by day. By day 3, it tastes more like canned OJ then fresh squeezed. Celebrity buys this stuff in bulk and it is stored a long time. There is nothing "fresh" about the taste. If pressed, Celebrity will call it their "premium" OJ. The irony (for us) is that since we have the Premium Drink package we can get this premium juice (for no additional cost) in the Lido. But we have discovered that the "junk" OJ that comes out of the drink dispenser (which is free for all) actually tastes better than their so-called Premium.

We really miss the days when Celebrity actually did serve fresh squeezed OJ in Blu (and at the Lido...for a price). This is just one more of those cut-backs we noticed...soon after LLP assumed the helm of Celebrity. While recently on the Reflection I asked a bar tender was it possible to get a Mimosa made with real fresh squeezed OJ. His quick answer was "not any more."

Hank

And that would be the definition of many OJs sold in the refrigerated section of a supermarket. For example, the very common Florida Natural brand is made from 100% Fresh OJ. But once put in a bottle it is anything but fresh. I live in Puerto Valllarta (in the winter) where I simply walk out to the street and buy fresh squeezed OJ (it is squeezed as I watch). If I leave it in the refrigerator the taste quickly deteriorates day by day. By day 3, it tastes more like canned OJ then fresh squeezed. Celebrity buys this stuff in bulk and it is stored a long time. There is nothing "fresh" about the taste. If pressed, Celebrity will call it their "premium" OJ. The irony (for us) is that since we have the Premium Drink package we can get this premium juice (for no additional cost) in the Lido. But we have discovered that the "junk" OJ that comes out of the drink dispenser (which is free for all) actually tastes better than their so-called Premium.

We really miss the days when Celebrity actually did serve fresh squeezed OJ in Blu (and at the Lido...for a price). This is just one more of those cut-backs we noticed...soon after LLP assumed the helm of Celebrity. While recently on the Reflection I asked a bar tender was it possible to get a Mimosa made with real fresh squeezed OJ. His quick answer was "not any more."

Hank

Spurge for a suite and get the old fresh squeezed OJ in Luminae for breakfast.

I am going to try the frozen fresh squeezed next to the free stuff in the Oceanview to see if I agree with your assessment. I do know the old original version was my favorite.

But we have discovered that the "junk" OJ that comes out of the drink dispenser (which is free for all) actually tastes better than their so-called Premium.

Hank

I found the same on the reflection last month.....I stopped ordering the "fresh squeezed OJ" on day 2.

Blu on Silhouette did serve freshly squeezed orange juice. It tasted like it and when I asked, I was given the tour and met the young man whose job was to place the oranges in it. That has been a change over the last year.

Spurge for a suite and get the old fresh squeezed OJ in Luminae for breakfast.

I am going to try the frozen fresh squeezed next to the free stuff in the Oceanview to see if I agree with your assessment. I do know the old original version was my favorite.

Hmmm. I guess that would mean we were paying several hundred dollars per glass of fresh squeezed OJ :).

It is not that we are cheap (we have a MSC cruise booked in their Yacht Club) but are just not sold on the idea of a suite on Celebrity. Its a matter of cost/benefit. Instead of a suite we booked a much cheaper balcony cabin and ate many of our meals in Murano (which we think is better than Luminae), The money we saved by not booking a suite is helping to pay for a mini-suite on an upcoming exotic Princess cruise. Celebrity will have to offer more than Luminae and Michaels to get us to spend the big bucks on a suite. But then again, perhaps we can justify a few thousand dollars for a glass of real fresh squeezed OJ.

Hank

Hmmm. I guess that would mean we were paying several hundred dollars per glass of fresh squeezed OJ :).

It is not that we are cheap (we have a MSC cruise booked in their Yacht Club) but are just not sold on the idea of a suite on Celebrity. Its a matter of cost/benefit. Instead of a suite we booked a much cheaper balcony cabin and ate many of our meals in Murano (which we think is better than Luminae), The money we saved by not booking a suite is helping to pay for a mini-suite on an upcoming exotic Princess cruise. Celebrity will have to offer more than Luminae and Michaels to get us to spend the big bucks on a suite. But then again, perhaps we can justify a few thousand dollars for a glass of real fresh squeezed OJ.

Hank

Here is the result of my unofficial morning OJ taste test.

I had both the frozen “fresh squeezed” and the free from the dispenser. I agree with you that there is not much of taste difference. I would not go as far to say that the free version is better, but if I did not have the drink package I would not pay for frozen “fresh squeezed”.

We all make choices about where to spend our money. A friend always says that she has enough money to buy almost anything, just not everything.

Although I love the Crown/Sabatini Suite breakfast on Princess, I do not have breakfast in Luminae very often.

Which exotic Princess cruise are you taking?

Here is the result of my unofficial morning OJ taste test.

I had both the frozen “fresh squeezed” and the free from the dispenser. I agree with you that there is not much of taste difference. I would not go as far to say that the free version is better, but if I did not have the drink package I would not pay for frozen “fresh squeezed”.

We all make choices about where to spend our money. A friend always says that she has enough money to buy almost anything, just not everything.

Although I love the Crown/Sabatini Suite breakfast on Princess, I do not have breakfast in Luminae very often.

Which exotic Princess cruise are you taking?

We are taking the Golden Princess from Singapore to Vancouver (36 days). DW really wanted us to take that cruise because of the 8 port days in Japan. It will be among the worst cruises (ever) for packing as we go from the tropics (Vietnam) to Alaska (in May!). We will take everything from shorts to mittens :). I only agreed to book the cruise if we DW would be OK flying Business Class (did not really have to twist her arm). 22 Hours of flying from the East Coast to Singapore! Yuck.

Hank

then it is not fresh because it was done before and surely brings conservatives. Fresh is that it is done in the moment and without conservatives.

I believe you mean preservatives? Surely it doesn't matter to juice taste or freshness whether it's done by conservatives or liberals;p! Sorry, I just couldn't resist being silly.

Hank

Agreed. for the several thousand dollars more that it would cost for a suite, we'll take the oranges they leave in our Aqua cabin, or from the OVC and squeeze them ourselves or skip it.

Agreed. for the several thousand dollars more that it would cost for a suite, we'll take the oranges they leave in our Aqua cabin, or from the OVC and squeeze them ourselves or skip it.

You just gave me a thought! Perhaps the next time we cruise on Celebrity (if that ever happens) we will take along a small manual juice squeezer. We can then get some fresh oranges and squeeze away. And I wonder if we were to do this in the Lido...if Celebrity would object if we started selling the juice :).

Hank

You just gave me a thought! Perhaps the next time we cruise on Celebrity (if that ever happens) we will take along a small manual juice squeezer. We can then get some fresh oranges and squeeze away. And I wonder if we were to do this in the Lido...if Celebrity would object if we started selling the juice :).

Hank

Since the Lido is on Royal ships I doubt if Celebrity would care.;p

I believe you mean preservatives? Surely it doesn't matter to juice taste or freshness whether it's done by conservatives or liberals;p! Sorry, I just couldn't resist being silly.

I tend to find conservatives a little bitter and unpleasant, but then taste is a very personal thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Blu on Silhouette did serve freshly squeezed orange juice. It tasted like it and when I asked, I was given the tour and met the young man whose job was to place the oranges in it. That has been a change over the last year.

Thats is a change (back) for the better! I don't really know why the stopped - we were on RCI Ovation of the Seas and they had the orange squeezing machines at a few venues.