Anthem - What must you pre-book?

BethV114

We are looking at (hoping for) the possibility of a last minute cruise on Anthem next month and have not been on any of the Quantum class ships. We have not been on a Royal ship in nearly 8 years, with Allure being our last trip, so I apologize in advance if this comes across as a dumb question. However, from my reading of reviews on this site, it appears that there are many things you must pre-book, and can't simply walk into, from the Windjammer buffet to the evening shows. Can you more experienced cruisers enlighten me as to what we must and/or should book in advance of sailing (or upon boarding), if we do end up going? We likely won't do specialty dining in order to cut down on cost, and we enjoy the dining room for dinner, but we tend to gravitate toward the buffet for lunch and will do either for breakfast. Our daughter is 8, so would likely want to do the "fun" stuff, and we do enjoy seeing shows in the evening.

Thank you!

We are looking at (hoping for) the possibility of a last minute cruise on Anthem next month and have not been on any of the Quantum class ships. We have not been on a Royal ship in nearly 8 years, with Allure being our last trip, so I apologize in advance if this comes across as a dumb question. However, from my reading of reviews on this site, it appears that there are many things you must pre-book, and can't simply walk into, from the Windjammer buffet to the evening shows. Can you more experienced cruisers enlighten me as to what we must and/or should book in advance of sailing (or upon boarding), if we do end up going? We likely won't do specialty dining in order to cut down on cost, and we enjoy the dining room for dinner, but we tend to gravitate toward the buffet for lunch and will do either for breakfast. Our daughter is 8, so would likely want to do the "fun" stuff, and we do enjoy seeing shows in the evening.

Thank you!

Not sure where you are reading that you have to pre-book the WJ, that is simply not true. You don't have to pre-book anything if you don't want to, but you won't always get into the shows using the standby line. You can reserve The Gift, We Will Rock You and Spectra's Cabaret. Spectra's might be a bit much for an 8 year old. WWRY has some off color jokes, but they will likely go right over the head of an 8 year old.

You need to reserve iFly and Northstar.

Not sure where you are reading that you have to pre-book the WJ, that is simply not true. You don't have to pre-book anything if you don't want to, but you won't always get into the shows using the standby line. You can reserve The Gift, We Will Rock You and Spectra's Cabaret. Spectra's might be a bit much for an 8 year old. WWRY has some off color jokes, but they will likely go right over the head of an 8 year old.

You need to reserve iFly and Northstar.

I read a review that said you had to pre-book/make reservations at Windjammer. I thought that was extremely odd, and am glad you clarified for me!

Do you pre-book shows online before sailing or once you are on the ship? The same for iFly and Northstar?

I read a review that said you had to pre-book/make reservations at Windjammer. I thought that was extremely odd, and am glad you clarified for me!

Do you pre-book shows online before sailing or once you are on the ship? The same for iFly and Northstar?

You can pre-book in your cruise planner once you have booked your cruise. You can also make reservations once you board by going to the box office or using the Royal IQ app. Since you are booking so late, there is a good chance you will not be able to get iFly or Northstar reservations prior to boarding. If those are important to you, make reservations immediately once you board. You should be able to get reservations for the shows.

... Do you pre-book shows online before sailing or once you are on the ship? ...

Certain shows can be pre-booked online before sailing. That gives you the ability to enter the show venue much earlier than those without reservations, thus getting a better choice of seating.

We booked WWRY, Spectra's Cabaret but did see them letting in folks from the no reservations line. Were able to book IFly the first day on board. The kids did seem to be having fun with the bumper cars - not much line on boarding day. Windjammer was pretty full in the rush times but we eat breakfast quite early and could snag a table on the left side at the back each day.

Anything you can't manage to book online (Cruise Planner) you can do as soon as you get on board. Head to Boleros (deck 4, port side...you will come on to the ship on deck 5...just go down the stairs in front of you and its right there) and there will be about 6 activity staff with laptops that will book and adjust bookings for all your entertainment stuff, iFly and North Star. If you want to do the Escape Room, book that as soon as you board too, as spaces are very limited and it books out quickly and is not usually available on the Cruise Planner, though bear in mind your daughter will be underage to participate, so plan for a day when she is (or might be) in the Kids Club. In all 14 days we were on the Anthem in September, we never went to the Dining Rooms once! The WJ is extremely good for evening meals and loads of choice. Any problems with the WJ, find Joseph (the Exec Sous chef in charge of the WJ). He is a really nice guy and will help out with any problems you may have. If you speak to him, say Jane, Simon and the truck from England say hello!!

Have fun!!

Simon

Don't pre-book anything...unless there is something you really MUST do at a specific time. If you're flexible there will be plenty of availability.

If I wanted a regimented vacation, I could stay at work for free. Perhaps that's just me.

The only thing we pre booked was Northstar. Went to the shows, but didn't always sit together, because people were saving seats, that never got used by end of show

If you think you want to ride the Ifly more than one time, pre-book it. You then should be able to book a second flight later in the cruise on-board. We did 5 flights on the 9 day Anthem cruise and 3 on the 12 night Ovation (lots more younger people on that sailing).

JC

The only thing we pre booked was Northstar. Went to the shows, but didn't always sit together, because people were saving seats, that never got used by end of show

FWIW, when I did the NorthStar, I just waited until there was no line. Did it twice in a row...there was hardly anyone there.

We booked Northstar from the iPad station when we boarded. The pre-booking was closed when we booked our cruise and I thought that might mean we wouldn't be able to get on. We had the first trip up at 5pm which was perfect. We had reservations to the three shows but definitely didn't need them. I'm sure we could have gotten specialty dining reservations onboard but didn't bother with that. We didn't do iFly, but be prepared that weather and rough seas can cancel that. I wouldn't hesitate to board again with no reservations.

For your daughter, if she wants to do bumper cars and roller skating, check the times closely as they are somewhat limited. There's a rock climbing wall, but no mini-golf, or ice rink.

Thank you!

Beth, the whole notion of booking for an Anthem cruise is pretty much like the Allure. However much you liked being scheduled on the Allure, you can duplicate that feeling on the Anthem.

Prebook everything, prebook a few things, prebook nothing and stand in line. Your choice.

Two270, where Spectra's Cabaret is performed, doesn't have as many seats as the main theater where WWRY and The Gift are performed. It is, however, offered more times than either of those.

Try to prebook iFly and Northstar, though. These are VERY popular. I love the Puzzle Break/Escape Room, so I recommend that, too.

I am DYING to know where you read that the Windjammer has reservations. 😉

Anthem has the Royal IQ app. It is available on iTunes and the App Store. Download it now. It will only work on your cruise though. Some people have reported that it works in the terminal.

You can make reservations on the app, too.

Keep asking; that's how you learn! 😊

Beth, the whole notion of booking for an Anthem cruise is pretty much like the Allure. However much you liked being scheduled on the Allure, you can duplicate that feeling on the Anthem.

Prebook everything, prebook a few things, prebook nothing and stand in line. Your choice.

Two270, where Spectra's Cabaret is performed, doesn't have as many seats as the main theater where WWRY and The Gift are performed. It is, however, offered more times than either of those.

Try to prebook iFly and Northstar, though. These are VERY popular. I love the Puzzle Break/Escape Room, so I recommend that, too.

Anthem has the Royal IQ app. It is available on iTunes and the App Store. Download it now. It will only work on your cruise though. Some people have reported that it works in the terminal.

You can make reservations on the app, too.

Keep asking; that's how you learn! 😊

Could it be for the Character breakfast or cupcake decorating?

MARAPRINCE

Don't pre-book anything...unless there is something you really MUST do at a specific time. If you're flexible there will be plenty of availability.

If I wanted a regimented vacation, I could stay at work for free. Perhaps that's just me.

Not sure that’s helpful to the op. There are some great options on Anthem. Yes you can wait in line if not pre-booked but you risk separate seats in the theatre or behind a pillar plus obstructed views for spectres Cabaret. Plus booking the ifly early leaves the option for a second go. We saw the line for WWRY and is was massive. Why not book ahead and avoid the hassle? If something is booked online they save places for onboard bookings so go straight to the podiums and book on boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk