Retail therapy in puerto vallarta

cruisewithhanya

i read somewhere on the boards that there is a mall called. Plaza Caracol, that has a department store called lans ( can be compared to Macy’s )

Is it worth going there or to Walmart near the port to shop for clothes and for “non touristic “ items

Any shoppers ?

Hanya

i read somewhere on the boards that there is a mall called. Plaza Caracol, that has a department store called lans ( can be compared to Macy’s )

Is it worth going there or to Walmart near the port to shop for clothes and for “non touristic “ items

Any shoppers ?

Hanya

Peyote People - it's the real thing. Check Trip Advisor and other reviews (reasonable prices with no junk, no fakes).

http://peyotepeople.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in Puerto Vallarta for a few months a year, and I think that DW has gone shopping once or twice in the past 12 years :). But if its a Department Store you seek, than we agree that Liverpool is probably the best (which is not saying a lot) and its within walking distance of the port. If you cross the main street in front of the port you will have Walmart and Sams.....and if you turn left you will see the The Galleria Mall where the main anchor store is Liverpool.

As to Lans, you would need a taxi (or you could use the local buses) but I suspect you will be disappointed (it is no Macy's). There is a new attractive shopping center called La Isla which is about a mile from the port (along the road to Puerto Vallarta (Lans and Plaza Caracol is also along this same main road) which has quite a few shops. You might have a lot more fun (and find more reasonable prices) by just taking the bus (or a taxi) into Puerto Vallarta and browsing the shops along the Malecon (the main pedestrian street). We also have a pretty large indoor flea market (near the Rio Cujale) as well as some indoor/outdoor kiosks on the small isle that sits in the River Cujale between Centro (downtown) and the Zona Romantica/Old Town.

Hank

We live in Puerto Vallarta for a few months a year, and I think that DW has gone shopping once or twice in the past 12 years :). But if its a Department Store you seek, than we agree that Liverpool is probably the best (which is not saying a lot) and its within walking distance of the port. If you cross the main street in front of the port you will have Walmart and Sams.....and if you turn left you will see the The Galleria Mall where the main anchor store is Liverpool.

As to Lans, you would need a taxi (or you could use the local buses) but I suspect you will be disappointed (it is no Macy's). There is a new attractive shopping center called La Isla which is about a mile from the port (along the road to Puerto Vallarta (Lans and Plaza Caracol is also along this same main road) which has quite a few shops. You might have a lot more fun (and find more reasonable prices) by just taking the bus (or a taxi) into Puerto Vallarta and browsing the shops along the Malecon (the main pedestrian street). We also have a pretty large indoor flea market (near the Rio Cujale) as well as some indoor/outdoor kiosks on the small isle that sits in the River Cujale between Centro (downtown) and the Zona Romantica/Old Town.

Hank

Hi neighbor,

We also spend lots of time here in PV as we got a place and agree with all of the above mentioned.

La Isla is nice to visit as it’s brand new and you got a nice H&M store.

If you want to go into town it’s so very easy take the public bus that says (CENTRO) just outside the port and you will hit the Malecone in 15-20 minutes. To come back from CENTRO take the bus that says Walmart on it and you will be drop in front of the port.

If you like to just do a beach break then just outside the port and before the gas station you will see a walk away that will lead you directly to the public beach. You can ask the jet ski guys that you need a chair and umbrella or just lay down or walk that long stretch of beach.

Voilà

Eric

I don't know if shopping for clothes in Mexico is a good idea at all?

I say this because here in San Diego we see tons of people every day who cross the border from Mexico into the USA to go shopping! There must be a reason for that.

We are Canadians , I just threw it out in case if there was any real bargains

What I am reading is that , I will find my treasures at Ross stores

Thank you all

Hanya

Thank you all

Hanya

Again, if you want something truly memorable (e.g., Huatulco micro-beaded figures, as pictured here, that are signed/govt. certified), regional artisan works can be found at Peyote People. No Chinese fakes and some of the smaller items can be had for less than $200 USD.

26d45b3f6188c9fa93c2367f2407c01f.jpg

Thank you all

Hanya

We answered your original question (for information) without our usual "editorial comments" :). I did drop the hint that my DW has probably shopped once or twice in 12 years of living in PV. We love being in PV, love the Mexican culture, the friendly atmosphere of a community where it seems like everyone gets along, our fabulous weather, our amazing food (in terms of both variety and quality), etc. If giving an opinionated answer we would strongly recommend coming into town (about 3 miles from the cruise port) walking around, browsing, eating, and primarily shopping (if one must shop) for Mexican goods. But even here in Mexico you will find that many clothing products say "made in China," "made in Vietnam," etc.

So here is my basic walking tour advice (with a shopping emphasis). Take a bus (marked Centro) or a taxi and get off at the Northern end of the Malecon (kind of like our concrete boardwalk) at the Hotel Rosita (McDonalds is across the street). Start walking south along the Malecon and browse the shops. Be sure to stop at one of the few places that sells Huichol Art work...just to see these fascinating works made from tiny beads. Once you reach the small river (there is a tiny pedestrian bridge) walk down the steps that lead to "Oscars" which is a restaurant on the island. Walk east on the island and browse the stalls and shops (its fun even if you buy nothing). You can later explore the nearby flea market (on the northern side of the river) and also the shops in our beloved Romantic Zone (also called Viejo Vallarta, Old Town, or the Southside). Make sure you walk along Olas Altas, and definitely stroll up Basilo Badillo (starting from Olas Altas). You can use Google to find these streets....and they will all show on any tourist map (which can easily be found for free in most shops and restaurants). Make sure to stop for lunch in any of our more than 800 eating venues (you can look at Tripadvisor to get some restaurant ideas).

And finally, we hope you enjoy our city and start to understand why there are so many Americans/Canadians/Mexicans who simply love this place..and return year after year.

Hank

P.S. If you follow my basic walking route....you will likely walk about 2 miles during your day. If that is a strain, there are plenty of bars where you can stop and recharge with a margarita :)

So here is my basic walking tour advice (with a shopping emphasis). Take a bus (marked Centro) or a taxi and get off at the Northern end of the Malecon (kind of like our concrete boardwalk) at the Hotel Rosita (McDonalds is across the street). Start walking south along the Malecon and browse the shops. Be sure to stop at one of the few places that sells Huichol Art work...just to see these fascinating works made from tiny beads. Once you reach the small river (there is a tiny pedestrian bridge) walk down the steps that lead to "Oscars" which is a restaurant on the island. Walk east on the island and browse the stalls and shops (its fun even if you buy nothing). You can later explore the nearby flea market (on the northern side of the river) and also the shops in our beloved Romantic Zone (also called Viejo Vallarta, Old Town, or the Southside). Make sure you walk along Olas Altas, and definitely stroll up Basilo Badillo (starting from Olas Altas). You can use Google to find these streets....and they will all show on any tourist map (which can easily be found for free in most shops and restaurants). Make sure to stop for lunch in any of our more than 800 eating venues (you can look at Tripadvisor to get some restaurant ideas).

Hank

P.S. If you follow my basic walking route....you will likely walk about 2 miles during your day. If that is a strain, there are plenty of bars where you can stop and recharge with a margarita :)

Can you get to Oscars with out too many steps?

Can you get to Oscars with out too many steps?

Had to think about this :). There are several ways to access the island (for Oscars) and nearly all involve quite a few steps. The closest access is via steps from the pedestrian bridge on the Malecon (it is over the Rio Cujale). There is also a set of stops that go down to the island from Ignacio Vallarta (the west side of the street). And finally there are steps down to the island from Insurgentes (these might be the easiest steps,,,,but they are several blocks from Oscars. But there is a "secret" way to get to the island without steps. There is a rope bridge that runs from the Calle Encino over to the island and another that goes to heaven knows where in the Romantic Zone. I once dared DW to try the rope bridge...and after one step she quit. It is a flimsy structure and sways back and forth. I do not know of anyone that recommends using the Rope bridge :).

I should mention that Oscars is not a restaurant we ever recommend. It looks beautiful....but you might notice that its generally empty of diners. There is no way that place has survived on its food business....and some folks have their theories of how that place continues to exist. I had to laugh at one TripAdvisor review from folks who like Oscars and are puzzled why they have never seen more than 10 people in the restaurant. DW and I did dine there a few years ago (with friends) and resented getting a Time Share spiel with our meal.

Hank

Had to think about this :). There are several ways to access the island (for Oscars) and nearly all involve quite a few steps. The closest access is via steps from the pedestrian bridge on the Malecon (it is over the Rio Cujale). There is also a set of stops that go down to the island from Ignacio Vallarta (the west side of the street). And finally there are steps down to the island from Insurgentes (these might be the easiest steps,,,,but they are several blocks from Oscars. But there is a "secret" way to get to the island without steps. There is a rope bridge that runs from the Calle Encino over to the island and another that goes to heaven knows where in the Romantic Zone. I once dared DW to try the rope bridge...and after one step she quit. It is a flimsy structure and sways back and forth. I do not know of anyone that recommends using the Rope bridge :).

I should mention that Oscars is not a restaurant we ever recommend. It looks beautiful....but you might notice that its generally empty of diners. There is no way that place has survived on its food business....and some folks have their theories of how that place continues to exist. I had to laugh at one TripAdvisor review from folks who like Oscars and are puzzled why they have never seen more than 10 people in the restaurant. DW and I did dine there a few years ago (with friends) and resented getting a Time Share spiel with our meal.

Hank

Thank you for the Info. Do you have a recommendation for a place to grab a lunch?

Thank you for the Info. Do you have a recommendation for a place to grab a lunch?

Well, we have over 800 restaurants rated on Trip Advisor....plus dozens of other "street vendors." There are just so many choices and food is a personal thing. I think most cruisers, since they are only here for a day, prefer lunch with a view. We have a strong personal bias towards the restaurants in the Old Town/Romantic Zone...since that is where we live (there is actually some loyalty to neighborhoods among the expats). So I will toss out a few ideas. For an inexpensive lunch (with $1 beer or Margaritas) there is the Sea Monkey....which is the first beach front restaurant once you cross the pedestrian bridge (on the Malecon) into the old town side. They have a typical Mexican menu and have tables on the sand...or inside. This is a good place if you are on a budget and are happy with OK food.

If you want to spend a little more money just keep walking (past the Sea Monkey) about another 200 yards and look for Daiquiri Dicks. This is beachfront and a well established somewhat upscale restaurant. If that does not suit your taste (you can look at their menu before you enter) then walk along the beach (starting on the beach side of Daiquiri Dicks) and you will pass quite a few restaurants...all of which are decent. You can look at their menus (which are usually outside) and stop where it just seems right. Another of our favorites (along the beach) is a place called Coco Tropicale (reasonable prices and a good Swiss Chef). Some of our friends like a place called Cuates y Cuates which is also along the beach. If you want to spend even more money, La Palapa is also along the beach and offers a pretty upscale Mexican menu.

What is consistent in the places I mentioned is that all these places are in the Old Town, have great beachfront views, and decent food (in different price ranges). There are some restaurants that will have staff on the Malecon....who will try to lure you inside. Don't let yourself get dragged into a place that is not what you want...so feel very free to smile and say "No Gracias."

Some have previously asked about food and drink safety and all I can say is that DW and I dine out in over 40 different eating venues every year and do not get sick. The food here is a safe as you get anywhere...including at home. All the restaurants I listed serve safe water and the ice is also very safe. For those that prefer, you can certainly buy bottled water anywhere in town or at any restaurant. We also have some excellent beer in Mexico (many Americans already know the brands). One of my personal favorites is Negra Modelo (this is a heavier dark beer). Probably the two most popular beer brands are Pacifio and Corona. And for light beer fans, Corona does have a light beer that is easy to find.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You did not tell me you were in a wheel chair or scooter, and that does mean a few challenges. But the Mexicans have slowly been improving the sidewalks and added ramps at most areas where it is needed. Some of the shops and restaurants still have a few steps...and others are very accessible. As to the pedestrian bridge (from Centro to the Old Town) it does not have any steps (just a slope) and can be handled by scooters, walkers and wheel chairs. When you get to the Sea Monkey, there is a large menu posted right in front of the restaurant where you can see if the options meet your desires. However, trying to access their beach tables (these are right on the sand) is not possible for scooters, wheelchairs or walkers. If you can handle a few steps and walking in the sand, then those tables are accessible (if they are not all full). Their inside area is accessible and provides a great view of both the Malecon and sea. Another nice thing about the Sea Monkey is they happily accept US Dollars and give a decent exchange rate. Just keep in mind that a dollar Margarita is a dollar Margarita. They are pretty large, do have some Tequilia (heaven know what kind) and a cheap mix. You can order better drinks (or even better Margaritas) if you are so inclined. But the cheap beer (either Pacifico or Corona) is a real bargain as you are getting a regular bottle. When the owner started this dollar beer/Margarita at his first location (Cheeky Monkey) nobody else in town was charging prices that cheap. When the "Monkeys" became very successful a few other bars and restaurants dropped their beer prices....but the legend of the Monkey's lives on (the owner is originally a New Yorker...and currently an absentee owner).

Speaking of the two "Monkeys" the original one (Cheeky Monkey) is on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a building that overlooks the somewhat famous "Ladder sculpture" which is about at the halfway point on the Malecon in Centro (North of the pedestrian bridge). The Cheeky Monkey is not accessible to anyone with a walking issue since one must negotiate a bunch of steps to get to the 2nd floor. But its a popular bar (especially with cruisers) and a front row seat gives one a great view of the Malecon (below) and possibly the best people watching spot in town.

Hank

You did not tell me you were in a wheel chair or scooter, and that does mean a few challenges. But the Mexicans have slowly been improving the sidewalks and added ramps at most areas where it is needed. Some of the shops and restaurants still have a few steps...and others are very accessible. As to the pedestrian bridge (from Centro to the Old Town) it does not have any steps (just a slope) and can be handled by scooters, walkers and wheel chairs. When you get to the Sea Monkey, there is a large menu posted right in front of the restaurant where you can see if the options meet your desires. However, trying to access their beach tables (these are right on the sand) is not possible for scooters, wheelchairs or walkers. If you can handle a few steps and walking in the sand, then those tables are accessible (if they are not all full). Their inside area is accessible and provides a great view of both the Malecon and sea. Another nice thing about the Sea Monkey is they happily accept US Dollars and give a decent exchange rate. Just keep in mind that a dollar Margarita is a dollar Margarita. They are pretty large, do have some Tequilia (heaven know what kind) and a cheap mix. You can order better drinks (or even better Margaritas) if you are so inclined. But the cheap beer (either Pacifico or Corona) is a real bargain as you are getting a regular bottle. When the owner started this dollar beer/Margarita at his first location (Cheeky Monkey) nobody else in town was charging prices that cheap. When the "Monkeys" became very successful a few other bars and restaurants dropped their beer prices....but the legend of the Monkey's lives on (the owner is originally a New Yorker...and currently an absentee owner).

Speaking of the two "Monkeys" the original one (Cheeky Monkey) is on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a building that overlooks the somewhat famous "Ladder sculpture" which is about at the halfway point on the Malecon in Centro (North of the pedestrian bridge). The Cheeky Monkey is not accessible to anyone with a walking issue since one must negotiate a bunch of steps to get to the 2nd floor. But its a popular bar (especially with cruisers) and a front row seat gives one a great view of the Malecon (below) and possibly the best people watching spot in town.

Hank

Thank you so much! You have been really helpful. I will definitely look for the Sea Monkey when we go.

Hank

The only time I could ever cross that rope bridge was after one or two of Fox's margarita's LOL Is Café Roma's the same now that Fox and Foxy have sold?

Yea, we also heard the same thing about Oscar's and I think you have seen more people in there than we ever have. I heard a rumour years ago that Glaza Blanca was built with the same type of funding :(

Sea Monkey has our vote too, DH likes the ice cold Pacificos through he laments I will insist on ordering from the more expensive drink menu. SM's fish tacos are a good nosh as well :)

The only time I could ever cross that rope bridge was after one or two of Fox's margarita's LOL Is Café Roma's the same now that Fox and Foxy have sold?

Yea, we also heard the same thing about Oscar's and I think you have seen more people in there than we ever have. I heard a rumour years ago that Glaza Blanca was built with the same type of funding :(

Sea Monkey has our vote too, DH likes the ice cold Pacificos through he laments I will insist on ordering from the more expensive drink menu. SM's fish tacos are a good nosh as well :)

We have never been frequent customers of Cafe Roma. But we have heard (from some others in our building) that its just not the same since the departure of Fox. I think much of the popularity of the place was driven by the personality of the owners...and that is now gone. Our best friends live right around the corner from Cafe Roma....and I think they have never even bothered to go into the place. There are just so many options in this city (Trip Advisor rates over 800 eating venues).

Hank