First Celebrity Cruise Questions...

b.cruising

Good Morning all :)

Looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise in March. Will be on the Silhouette. I have a few questions.....

1. We received the classic beverage passage when booking. Can I upgrade to the premium package before embarkation?

2. With regard to evening chic, do any men wear tuxedos? DH would love to get another wear out of the one he bought for our son's recent wedding! Suit or Sport jacket and slacks? For once, its easier to be a woman;)

3. What time is usually good to arrive at POM for embarkation? We like to board early but want to avoid crazy lines.

Looking forward to a new cruise experience. Any pointers from this great cc community would be much appreciated!!

Many Thanks

Looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise in March. Will be on the Silhouette. I have a few questions.....

1. We received the classic beverage passage when booking. Can I upgrade to the premium package before embarkation? Wait until you board the ship. After seeing the drink menu's, you may not feel it is necessary. If we found a cocktail that was Premium, we just paid the $2 additional fee.

2. With regard to evening chic, do any men wear tuxedos? DH would love to get another wear out of the one he bought for our son's recent wedding! Suit or Sport jacket and slacks? For once, its easier to be a woman;) Very few tuxedo's on our recent cruise, but I say go for it!

3. What time is usually good to arrive at POM for embarkation? We like to board early but want to avoid crazy lines. We usually arrive about 9:30 for all of our cruises.

Looking forward to a new cruise experience. Any pointers from this great cc community would be much appreciated!!

Many Thanks

See answers above

Edited by champagne123
,,ll

1. We received the classic beverage passage when booking. Can I upgrade to the premium package before embarkation?

Yes you can but will need to Call Celebrity. No real need to do it in advance you can upgrade it at your first or any bar on the ship and takes just seconds.

2. With regard to evening chic, do any men wear tuxedos? DH would love to get another wear out of the one he bought for our son's recent wedding! Suit or Sport jacket and slacks? For once, its easier to be a woman;)

Yes men do wear Tux. Not as many as in the days of Formal Nights... but he will not feel out of place, and I am sure will look great.

3. What time is usually good to arrive at POM for embarkation? We like to board early but want to avoid crazy lines.

I find the best time to be between 12 and 1.

Many Thanks

You will love Celebrity. Just relax an enjoy your cruise.

Agree with Champagne but I think 9:30 is a bit early to arrive. You will just be hanging around waiting to board as the ship might not be cleared until 9:00. I would suggest 11:00 at the earliest. We usually arrive around 11:30.

Hi Mary Lou....yes, I think most people would agree with you on the time to arrive. I am just one of those wierd people that would rather be seated in the waiting area than in traffic, and all of the mayhem of everyone and the lines. We are almost one of the first to board the ship (after the vip's and handicapped). :cool::):cool:

1. I'd wait until after boarding to see if you really need to upgrade.

2. Very few wear tuxes in our experience, but there will likely be a few. You'll see more suits or blazers/sport jackets. And even more with no jacket at all. Tell your DH to wear which ever he prefers.

3. We don't like to get there too early and then face a long wait in the terminal. We try to arrive between 11:00 - 11:30.

Like others have said, wait till you board to decide to upgrade your beverage package, there is a possibility that everything you want is included! We do always upgrade as I do not want to have to worry about on board spending, and we get our money’s worth. If you think you will want to go to the martini bar every night, then by all means upgrade. No matter what your preference of cocktail is, they will have something for you at the martini bar.

We also love to wear our tuxes and have rented them for every Celebrity Cruise, even after the change to Evening Chic. There will be others in tuxes, so tell the DH to wear what he wants, it is his vacation!

We generally arrive between 10 and 10:30. We have been the first ones on the ship for the last 4 cruises, yes we do book suites, so we are the first ones on board. This is our first ship day and we like to take advantage of every minute on board the first day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

/quote]

Yes you can upgrade your drink packs....you can both do it or if one person just wants to upgrade that is fine to...you can do it as soon as you board.

There is no true Chic night anymore...dress code is smart casual.....my hubby wears khakis and a polo or short sleeve button down. I wear casual skirt or capris and a short sleeve top.

As far as getting to cruise port I would get there around 11 is when they start letting people upstairs through security ..check in process is farely fast in comparison to other cruise lines (whale tail)

On our TA from Miami to Southampton last year there were quite a few men in DJ’s ( as we call Tux’s in UK).

I for one will continue to wear mine on Chic Nights as will the rest of our party on our cruise in August.

I think it’s a shame they ended Formal Nights as it always seemed to add to the occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another con to getting there early is that rooms are generally not available until 1 or 1:30 so you have to drag your carry-on with you everywhere.

Does anyone know if there is a place to check/store your carry-on luggage while waiting for your cabin? Thought I read somewhere, yes ... but cannot find that post now. How do you know when your cabin is ready ... do they like text you, or do you just keep checking?

Thank you ... BZ

As some have said, you may not need to upgrade to Premium depending on your drink preferences.

Of course you can drink as many $9 or less priced drinks as you wish on the Classic.

But in addition, for those drinks that cost more than $9, the upgrade breakeven by average drink price & average number of drinks per day in excess of $9 are:

$10 - 10

$11 - 5

$12 - 3.33

$13 or more - 2.5

So, just as an outlandish example, you could have six beers (those under $9) per afternoon and two $20 glasses of wine with dinner and not justify the upgrade!

By the way, if you do decide to upgrade on board on embarkation day, check with your bartender to see whether or not you would have to pay FL sales tax (have seen some CC threads that indicate this can be a problem.) You might need to wait until outside FL waters - but your bartender should be able to advise you.

Happy sailing

Thank you everyone for responding. We really appreciate the advice from you all. DH is thinking of taking his tux.....I hope he does; he looks very handsome in it :)

He can wear his tuxedo and will not feel over dressed. Also, makes for a beautoful photo on board!

By the way, if you do decide to upgrade on board on embarkation day, check with your bartender to see whether or not you would have to pay FL sales tax (have seen some CC threads that indicate this can be a problem.) You might need to wait until outside FL waters - but your bartender should be able to advise you.

Same is true if in San Juan waters. There will be a tax on food if your check is tallied in these waters. We were having lunch at the Lawn Club and local tax was added on when we were nearing San Juan.

Does anyone know if there is a place to check/store your carry-on luggage while waiting for your cabin? Thought I read somewhere, yes ... but cannot find that post now. How do you know when your cabin is ready ... do they like text you, or do you just keep checking?

Thank you ... BZ

They make a general announcement when rooms are ready, no text. If you booked Concierge Class there is a luncheon in the MDR and they will put your carry on luggage is a section of it while you dine. The luncheon is 11:30AM to 1:00PM. By that time the rooms are usually ready. It's been my experience that they're usually ready about 1:00 to 1:30PM unless there's been an issue requiring extra cleaning.