Live from the 2/18 Crown Princess

Host CJSKIDS

I didn’t find the crowd to be old on this particular sailing. I actually found it to be younger than normal since families were on board with their kids on mid winter break. I’m 56 and met a lot of people in my age group or younger. But then again, maybe I am old!!😂

Sorry you aren’t sure if you will be back. There were a lot of first cruisers on the sailing and I heard that same sentiment. Bear in mind we were on a ship that is getting ready for dry dock. Some of what happened onboard is not the norm for Princess. Princess doesn’t do everything perfectly, but they are a good cruise line. Rough seas were happening to every cruise line out there this week and chair hogs unfortunately are on every cruise line. Perhaps it was more so on this sailing because there were so many people who had never cruised before and didn’t know any better.

Sounds like your excursions were fun!

We are not new to cruising as I mentioned, but this was our first Princess cruise. I expected it to be more upscale. Glad you found the younger crowd!

I regularly read posts from passengers who feel like me that shorter cruises often have a different clientele & experience than on 7+ day cruises. So I wouldn’t consider a 5 day cruise experience to accurately judge the overall Princess cruise experience.

It’s been my experience that on shorter cruises there can be more chair hogs. That doesn’t excuse that practice nor having an incompetent burned out cabin steward. It’s been 2 years since our most recent Crown cruise which was great. Although based on recent passenger experiences it’s apparent to me that the ship is overdue for shipyard maintenance.

However to base the Princess cruise experience on this short cruise on a ship that needs some maintenance does not truly reflect my experiences on all of the great Princess cruises we’ve enjoyed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I regularly read posts from passengers who feel like me that shorter cruises often have a different clientele & experience than on 7+ day cruises. So I wouldn’t consider a 5 day cruise experience to accurately judge the overall Princess cruise experience.

Totally agree. They are a breed all to themselves.

AnnieB925-Short cruises are not a true Princess experience IMO. A 7-day gives you a more typical experience. Don't discount Princess based on a short cruise. Give a longer one a try before you delete them completely.

However to base the Princess cruise experience on this short cruise on a ship that needs some maintenance does not truly reflect my experiences on all of the great Princess cruises we’ve enjoyed.

If princess puts their name on a ship that needs maintenance, and markets the cruise,

I think the passengers have an absolute right to judge the product.

Was there some sort of disclaimer when folks purchased the cruise that said:

"this cruise won't be up to our usual standards"...?

I feel like an idiot that I can't figure out to post a picture! Nothing I seem to do works.

From a fellow attached photo idiot, here’s a post & link to a previous thread about accomplishing this task. I don’t use a photo sharing site so can only post the useless thumbnail size photos that CC allows us to directly use.

Put your picture on the net somewhere such as photobucket. Right click on it and select "copy image url".

Make your post and click on the Insert Image button on the toolbar above the box where you type your post. Just hover your mouse over the icons on the toolbar and you will see which one it is. Paste your image link into the box that comes up when you click that button.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2337743

If princess puts their name on a ship that needs maintenance, and markets the cruise,

That’s true but judging a product based on some poor experiences on one short cruise doesn’t accurately reflect their product on all cruises.

Based on my experiences & on posts I’ve read, all cruise lines have bad experiences but that won’t prevent me from considering them in the future.

I know that the OP is very objective with her posts unlike some of the rants posted on CC. That’s merely my opinion just like everyone else posts their opinions on CC & readers will decide about their validity.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That’s true but judging a product based on some poor experiences on one short cruise doesn’t accurately reflect their product on all cruises.

The ripped sheet, the stained towel, etc. -- I don't think they have anything to do with short vs. long cruise.

Just poor maintenance.

It’s been my experience that on shorter cruises there can be more chair hogs. That doesn’t excuse that practice nor having an incompetent burned out cabin steward. It’s been 2 years since our most recent Crown cruise which was great. Although based on recent passenger experiences it’s apparent to me that the ship is overdue for shipyard maintenance.

I am not sure I agree with your point about shorter cruises. Whether I stay 1 night or 7 in a 5-star hotel I expect the service and the accommodations to be the same.

Just realized that I prepaid the Princess excursion before leaving home, yet Princess charged me for it on the portfolio. I'll have to sort that out tomorrow.

Edited by AnnieB925

Was there some sort of disclaimer when folks purchased the cruise that said:

"this cruise won't be up to our usual standards"...?

I totally agree with this statement. We travel frequently and I am one to write reviews of restaurants, hotels, etc.

and I do have certain expectations. Like I said in a previous post, I expected Princess to be more upscale.

I just expected a more upscale experience and was disheartened to see shorts and t-shirts in the DR. .

I'm sorry and will likely get flamed for this, but I will NEVER understand how what other people are wearing can affect one's attitude or enjoyment of a cruise. I am on a ship to relax from the day to day grind. The fact that someone is wearing shorts in the dining room has NO bearing on my vacation experience. It blows my mind that this keeps coming up in people's reviews of their cruise.

We live in South FL, and it is very commonplace to wear shorts to dinner, even at some of the finer restaurants. I wear shorts to dinner here 90% of the time. I understand that the ships have dress code expectations, and we follow them. However, when we show up for dinner, we are focused on having a great meal and enjoying each other's company and could care less what others around us are wearing.

I will now step down from my soapbox.

Yes, there certainly were lots of Floridians on this cruise.

I did expect a more upscale crowd. Flame ME for judging based on how one presents in the MDR where the dress code is quite clear.

I have no desire to further this conversation.

Yes, there certainly were lots of Floridians on this cruise.

I did expect a more upscale crowd. Flame ME for judging based on how one presents in the MDR where the dress code is quite clear.

I have no desire to further this conversation.

Honestly, I met more people on this sailing that were not from Florida. Most of the roll call prior to the sailing were not from Florida. The vast majority of people did adhere to the "dress code" and many were very dressed up on Formal night. Without talking to each person, it's very hard to know where one was from if you saw them in shorts.

As a Floridian, it's very hard not to be insulted when you say that you expected a more upscale crowd since it seems like you are equating not being upscale with living in Florida. But since a large portion of the guests on board were not from Florida, I guess it shouldn't be taken personally.

Sorry you didn't care for the people that sailed on this cruise. Was this a different experience than my past 21 cruises on Princess, yes. But only because I had some issues with the ship. Then again, I don't ever form opinions on someone from how they are dressed, I form my opinions on someone on how they treat others around them. Don't even get me started on how people handle themselves with the elevator situation!! Personally I met some wonderful people that were from all over our country just as I have on every cruise I have been on.

Perhaps you want to do your own review or thread with how you felt about your sailing. Enjoy your next cruise, whichever cruise line you decide to sail on!

From a fellow attached photo idiot, here’s a post & link to a previous thread about accomplishing this task. I don’t use a photo sharing site so can only post the useless thumbnail size photos that CC allows us to directly use.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2337743

Thanks, I tried!

Onboard the crown now, and in case anyone is interested BOGO is gone.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Wow, it was twice per day on our sailing last week! Well Buy One get one for $1. Each afternoon in the Wheelhouse and then at night at another bar.

Enjoy your cruise!