Answering Questions on Asia

ronbetty2001

Best food we have ever had in economy was the food we pre ordered (and paid a very nominal amount for) on Air Asia.

Since you've traveled Air Asia, can you explain their checked baggage policy. I find it very confusing. In one section of the website it says 32kg max weight. But when I check pricing, and do the Value add on, it says 20 kg. I sent an email asking about this but haven't received a reply.

Also, the Singapore Airways flights we were discussing change planes in Kuala Lumpur. Have you had any experience with this?

Over the recent three years we must have done 15 trips on discount airlines in SE Asia and Australia. They have all been fine.

In Europe we have found that the nationals often price to the discount level. Last Feb, we needed to go from Santiago-Buenos Aires. We also planned to skop over to Uruguay. The flight cost to BA was in the area of $250 on the majors. With just a little effort we got a $50. fare on Sky to Montevideo, Uruguay. New plane, great service.

We find that the equipment on the discount airlines tend to much newer than that on the regular airlines. At least for shorter flights of up to four hours or so. Best food we have ever had in economy was the food we pre ordered (and paid a very nominal amount for) on Air Asia. Much better than the mush we have had on UA, ANA, Delta, AC, etc.

Thanks Iancal! Hope to venture that way in the next year.

We only travel with carry on. My understanding is that Air Asia regs are that the carry-on must be international size (20") and not wieigh more than 7KG.

I believe they do have a weight and size restriction on checked bags (which the charge for). I have only noticed the details as they flash on the screen, we hit continue because it does not apply to us. We did check once after my spouse had cracked several vertabrae in her back. I could not handle her and two pieces of luggage on our trip from KL to Australia so I checked on bag. Baggage service was fine.

I do understand their rules vis a vis checked bag size and weight. We had a bit of an eye opening as we went through customs in Australia's Gold Coast Airport. People on our flight seemed to have an incredible amount of checked bags and many seemed to be very large suitcases. Maybe even 30-35 inches....and many seemed to be bulging at the seams. The border agent looked at our visa, jokingly accused of smuggling maple syrup from Canada, and then waived us right through.

As an aside, we have taken many AirAsia flights. Our carry ons have never been weighed. Just a visual check. We still keep within the regs if only because we do very much prefer to travel light.

Edited by iancal

We just booked two Air Asia flights. The only thing we added was seat selection. It was $2. AUD each ( we have the fares displayed as AUD because our currency, CAD, is invariably the same as AUD).

We have ordered food in the past. It was very good. given the price and the fact that it was on an aircraft.

We just booked two Air Asia flights. The only thing we added was seat selection. It was $2. AUD each ( we have the fares displayed as AUD because our currency, CAD, is invariably the same as AUD).

We have ordered food in the past. It was very good. given the price and the fact that it was on an aircraft.

Thanks loads for your help

Another thing. When you book flights in Asia, the provider will add an additional service charge IF you pay by credit card-which we do.

Some of the Asian discount airlines have another way of paying. You get a code. You can then apparently take that code or ticket id number to a 7-11 type convenience store and pay for the ticket. I assume that this is to serve those who may not have a bank account credit or debit card-or even a bank account. Interesting what business can do attract and serve customers. We saw this is Thailand and I also think Malaysia. I assume they give you so many hours or days to pay for the ticket before they cancel the reservation.

Question about vaccinations-- going on Celebrity Millenium Jan. 21, 2018 Singapore, Bangkok, Vietnam and Hong Kong and one doctor suggested typhoid shot and another gave me information on a Travel Clinic - I'm sure they will just shoot me up with all sorts of vaccinations. On one board I saw recommended hepatitis and tetanus. What do you recommend????

Thanks!

I could no begin to comment on vaccinations. Absolutely not qualified and our experience and advice may not have merit to yours.

Apart from going to the travel clinic prior to our Africa trip, the absolute norm for us when travelling has always been to keep our hep and tetanus up to date. From our perspective these are pretty basic. You can contract these at home so why take a chance? We would have these even if we never left home so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...