How is suite allocation on a guarantee basis done.....price,history??

Mrs Excited

Hi there

Having booked several guarantees, been very lucky and then again not so lucky, but totally understand I get what I have paid for, no problems with that whatsoever.

I have been wondering just how do they decide who goes where....is it based solely on the price you have paid (let's face it that is up and down all the time),your cruise history or exactly what!!!???

From my experience, they quite literally go down the list allocate remaining cabins as they get to them.

I’ve been allocated to V6 suites in the lowest price point I saw online and to a V2 on a high fare and once a Penthouse on something in between.

On one sailing last year, several of us who booked with the same TA were all allocated right in a row/across the hall from each other. We did not book at the same time or request to be together so our best guess was that we somehow came up together on the list.

I still need some education on this. In the past, we have chosen a particular cabin by number--how does the guarantee work--and is it substantially cheaper than choosing a cabin by number? And, what rate (by cabin class?) do you pay for a guarantee?

Like Mrs. Excited, this is the first time I opt for a guarantee (Veranda). I paid the lowest rate at the date I booked, so I can end up getting the worst of the Verandas. This is the risk we took, due to the fact that most were sold out at that moment. However, they still have to accommodate us with a Veranda...so it can also turn into an upgrade....here's hoping!!

I still need some education on this. In the past, we have chosen a particular cabin by number--how does the guarantee work--and is it substantially cheaper than choosing a cabin by number? And, what rate (by cabin class?) do you pay for a guarantee?

Traditionally, a guarantee is essentially a V1 guarantee or an A guarantee (you pay the same as V1 or A, respectively, and may be assigned a suite at that or a higher level, usually up to a V6). In some markets and for some sailings, SB has also done other versions of OB such as a V3 guarantee, i.e. pay for V3 and get that or higher. There may be other versions as well...

I have some other very basic questions. What is an A guarantee? And what does OB stand for? And, how much do you think you save over choosing let's say---a V3 cabinet or a V5 cabin by number?

On the older O class ships, cabin categories are A, A1 (deck 4 staterooms, no balconies), followed by V1 - V6 (with balconies). OB means verandah guarantee (b for balcony). IIRC, OS means stateroom guarantee (s for stateroom, categories A or A1).

On the newer Encore & Ovation ships, there are no more A or A1, just V1 and above.

Easy to calculate difference, not sure why you asked... If you choose OB and its pricing is the same as a V1, and you get assigned V1 = no savings. If you get assigned V3, your savings = price difference between V3 and V1, and so on.

OK Thank you Sfvoyage. I'm just a dingbat sometimes--and wanted to make sure I understood. We signed up on such short notice last late summer that we looked at what was still available---and were not up on other options that might have been available earlier.

I am interested in knowing what most of you do? Do you choose a specific cabin--or do you sign up for a V-1 and hope for an upgrade?

I am interested in knowing what most of you do? Do you choose a specific cabin--or do you sign up for a V-1 and hope for an upgrade?

If you don't get seasick and are not particular about suite location, OB is a good way to go. OBs are only sold on selected itineraries (i.e. those that are not selling well).

There is so much more too it than deck level and front or back of ship. Do you want to risk a suite right under the pool deck where late risers have noted significant noise from the chairs being moved around the deck in the am when the crew is setting up the area? Do you want to risk a handicapped suite sans bathtub and with an odd closet? Do you want to risk a suite with one of the smaller balconies next to owners suites on deck 7? Do you want a connecting site where you might draw noisy neighbors and enjoy every word of their conversations as these connecting doors transmit sound? I have done a GTY on a couple of occasions but in general prefer the security and peace of mind that comes from selecting my suite. Forwarded it forearmed.

As to how they are assigned it is the $64,000 question. In over 16 years on Seabourn I can honestly discern no pattern as to how they are assigned. In a perfect world it might work as it does with airlines where the flyers/cruisers with the highest status are given the best seat/upgrades but that clearly had not been the case here and I can understand why that might be difficult to implement. All I can say is from what I have observed it is purely random.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin, You make me feel a bit better about our decision to book a specific suite on our upcoming June 2018 cruise. We even discussed this with our TA and decided based on our discussion with her to stick with a specific cabin assignment. I can calculate what our savings would have been taking a guaranteed option, but had not really thought about doing this until I started reading this thread.

Chairsin nailed it. You really have to be flexible with location and willing to roll the dice. Sometimes it pays off more than others... last cruise we got a Penthouse Suite. This time we got a disabled access with no tub or walk-in closet. Easy come, easy go. ;p

I hope I am not adding to any confusion - but it is important to know that if you book a specific suite you must tell your TA either to put you down for possible upgrade, or to say you do not want one. If you are allocated one, you not only have to take it, but cannot go back and say you would like the suite you chose, as it will have already been re-allocated. Occasionally,as has been said, the upgrade could be in a position you would not care for

Sometimes TAs do not mention this - I suspect hoping you will think they have been responsible for the allocation of a higher grade suite and therefore thrilled with them.;p

Mrs Excitment & Camillus112 are on the same January sailing. We are now 14 days in advance of our sailing and are all awaiting our stateroom assignments. When we booked our sailing, the V1 staterooms were $1400.00 more per person than the guarantee. As stateroom location wasn't an issue for us, we decided to take our chances and book the guarantee. It will be interesting to find out where and when our staterooms are assigned. The ship is totally sold out which could lead to some interesting assignments. Stay tuned!

Our TA DID explain to us that if we agreed to a possible upgrade, we would not have a choice to change our minds. We DID NOT agree to a possible upgrade and will be keeping our assigned cabin. I do find all of this interesting and I'm sure in the future we will try the guarantee and see where it takes us.

Usually we book a veranda guarantee and have never been disappointed. On our Antarctica cruise this past January we booked deck 4 midship for the location. This cost more than a veranda guarantee. When we got on, we had been “upgraded” to deck 5 in the prow. Very unhappy. Several hours of assertive whining later, pointing out we had paid more for our selected cabin than the one they put us in, we wound up deck 8 mid ship.

I'm just going to add to everyone's confusion. . . Sometimes when you don't want a guarantee cabin, you still might be stuck with one!

I did not want a "Guaranteed" cabin, when I booked six months ago, I wanted a V3 cabin. Eight months before sailing my TA told me all they had were Guaranteed V3 rooms. We could not choose a cabin. I went online today and saw two V3 cabins available! Six weeks from sailing, I'm still not sure where we'll be!

Why not check with TA now and see what she can do if you are committed to that category?

I'm just going to add to everyone's confusion. . . Sometimes when you don't want a guarantee cabin, you still might be stuck with one!

I did not want a "Guaranteed" cabin, when I booked six months ago, I wanted a V3 cabin. Eight months before sailing my TA told me all they had were Guaranteed V3 rooms. We could not choose a cabin. I went online today and saw two V3 cabins available! Six weeks from sailing, I'm still not sure where we'll be!