Singapore - Videos of my country that I made

Iluvcruising2

Here is our Tourism website which has tons of good information - http://www.visitsingapore.com/en.html

A good number of tourist spots you can get to by MRT. Otherwise, just take a taxi, or use Uber or Grab. Singapore is not a big place, though try to avoid the peak evening hours if you can.

To get to Chinatown, just take the MRT to ChinaTown MRT station. Here is a video I made recently, walking through the Chinatown Food Street. I was behaving like a tourist in my home country.

[YOUTUBE]ENvSZzR9YAc [/YOUTUBE]

Thank you so much! Will check these out.👍👍

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Boat Quay (nearest station Raffles Place MRT) is a very popular place with both locals and tourists. I walked through the restaurant area one evening. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]Q1voMtFaeI4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8Y3PPm3lQr4[/YOUTUBE]

This pub called Penny Black Victoria Pub looks rather popular. I don't think I've dined there before. This is their website - http://pennyblack.com.sg/

[YOUTUBE]Zb7DDty1HnA[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...

Some more random videos. First on food.

This is from a fried hor fun store at Ghim Moh Food Center. Hor Fun is a type of Chinese wide noodle made from rice.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahe_fen) The taste was very good. This serving for $5. Ghim Moh Food Center is a local food center, nearest MRT station is Buona Vista.

[YOUTUBE]4wroCD6tc-c[/YOUTUBE]

Fried Carrot Cake and Fried Rice from a food court. Decent stuff.

[YOUTUBE]gWyK5E_4Ovg[/YOUTUBE]

Now for some fun - food delivered on a movable tray. Cutting down the need for wait staff. Serve yourself from the tray!

[YOUTUBE]gRouOcSmixI[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not familiar with the hotel so I can't vouch or its quality, but seeing that it is run by Far East group (which is one of the large property developers in Singapore), it shouldn't be too bad.

In terms of location, it is a very interesting location. You are very near Little India - http://www.visitsingapore.com/see-do-singapore/places-to-see/little-india.html

In fact, the Little India MRT station is just a few hundred meters down the road. Little India MRT station has both the Downtown (DTL) and North East (NE) lines, so you would be able to get to many places using the MRT. Alternatively, take a public taxi, or use Uber or Grab. Singapore is easy to get around and your location, while not exactly at the usual tourist spot, is pretty good. Download local maps on your smart phone and take a walk around the place!

So after much thought and research, we would like to spend our one full day in Singapore on the HOHO bus, and then dinner at Lau Pa Sat. We are staying near Little India,...so could you please suggest the most efficient way to do this? Should we prepurchase our bus tickets? Buy them on the day? Is Lau Pa Sat on the bus route?

Thank you in advance for your help....

• 2 weeks later...

We are arriving in Singapore 5.30 p.m.; Thursday 15th February and staying at Fairmont Singapore. I believe this is Chinese New Year - Is this correct. Will it be easy to get a taxi from the airport. Also how many days/nights are shops closed for Chinese New Year. Have you any suggestions on what to do during these celebrations - We are cruising from Singapore on the Sunday 18th February. Thanks Judy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Have been enjoying your posts over the years. We are finally coming in to Singapore in March for three days before a cruise. For now we are staying at the Fairmont. Do you think that it is central enough. Love all of your food recommendations, can hardly wait.

Janice

We are arriving in Singapore 5.30 p.m.; Thursday 15th February and staying at Fairmont Singapore. I believe this is Chinese New Year - Is this correct. Will it be easy to get a taxi from the airport. Also how many days/nights are shops closed for Chinese New Year. Have you any suggestions on what to do during these celebrations - We are cruising from Singapore on the Sunday 18th February. Thanks Judy

Chinese New Year falls on 16th and 17th Feb 2018. 15th would be CNY eve. There shouldn't be a problem getting a taxi from the airport, though you may have to wait a little longer.

I believe the major attractions are all open.

Many shops are still opened. What to do? Well, soak up in the festivities. Visit Chinatown!

This link to last year's celebrations.

http://chinatownfestivals.sg/

Hi

Have been enjoying your posts over the years. We are finally coming in to Singapore in March for three days before a cruise. For now we are staying at the Fairmont. Do you think that it is central enough. Love all of your food recommendations, can hardly wait.

Janice

Fairmont is very central, with plenty of shops, eateries and well connected via public transport. The hotel is integrated with the Raffles City Shopping Center, and from there, you can walk to the Marina Bay area all via underground airconditioned shopping tunnels starting from City Hall MRT station.

If you haven't seen these videos, it would be useful for you.

In this video, I walk you through the basement level of Raffles City Shopping Center. Plenty of eateries here, as well as a pharmacy.

[YOUTUBE]0uCSKCX6kTA[/YOUTUBE]

For inexpensive local cuisine, head to the air-conditioned food court, which I recall is on level 4 of the Raffles City shopping center. This place can get crowded during lunch time - office crowds.

[YOUTUBE]npAX_Oqhezs[/YOUTUBE]

The entrance to City Hall MRT station. You can use the MRT to explore Singapore.

[YOUTUBE]K0Q_9npajWc[/YOUTUBE]

A word on the rain. We are 1 deg north of the equator, and we have tropical weather. There can be torrential rain in Singapore. When it rains heavily, wait it out, unless you want to get drenched. It usually doesn't last very long.

[YOUTUBE]l6ckQwm-EZw[/YOUTUBE]

Very informative thread...thanks. We won't be visiting Singapore for over a year (Jan '19), but already planning! Liked the videos of Henderson Waves/Forest Walk and Canopy Walk at Kent Ridge which you say are all interconnected. Are you allowed to cycle these walks and if so, is there anywhere nearby to hire bikes? Also, looks like they are not so easy to get to by MRT, so is bus a better option? Planning on a day on the HOHO and a day at Sentosa as well. We are also planning on staying at the Fairmont, so good to hear its central (and only a couple of MRT stops from the cruise terminal!).

Thanks

Simon

Hi.... We will disembark our ship on Feb 15, and we then have 2 days/1 night in Singapore before we fly back to Australia late on Feb 16. I have just realized that this falls right on Chinese New Year.

How much will this impact our ability to do things around the city? For example, will public transport run as normal? Will restaurants, hawker centres or food courts be open?

Very informative thread...thanks. We won't be visiting Singapore for over a year (Jan '19), but already planning! Liked the videos of Henderson Waves/Forest Walk and Canopy Walk at Kent Ridge which you say are all interconnected. Are you allowed to cycle these walks and if so, is there anywhere nearby to hire bikes? Also, looks like they are not so easy to get to by MRT, so is bus a better option? Planning on a day on the HOHO and a day at Sentosa as well. We are also planning on staying at the Fairmont, so good to hear its central (and only a couple of MRT stops from the cruise terminal!).

Thanks

Simon

I don’t think cycling is allowed on the Henderson Waves and Canopy Walk. I recall seeing signs asking cyclists to dismount. The place is undulating and the walking paths narrow, hence people don’t usually cycle there. For the same reason, I don’t recall seeing any bike hires.

It is true that getting to the above parks may be troublesome using public transport. If you are up for walking, one way is to take a taxi to Kent Ridge Park, and walk yourself back to Harbourfront or some other MRT station. It would be an interesting walk. Alternatively you start at Harbourfront and walk in the other direction. It is going to take 3-4 hours.

See the map below.

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/~/media/nparks-real-content/gardens-parks-and-nature/diy-walk/diy-walk-pdf-files/hortpark-and-southern-ridges.pdf?la=en

If you like cycling, there are bike hires along East Coast Park and other parks in Singapore.

Happy New Year!

#lastdayof2017

It is true that getting to the above parks may be troublesome using public transport. If you are up for walking, one way is to take a taxi to Kent Ridge Park, and walk yourself back to Harbourfront or some other MRT station. It would be an interesting walk. Alternatively you start at Harbourfront and walk in the other direction. It is going to take 3-4 hours.

See the map below.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Last time in Singapore I walked the treetops walk at MacRitchie Reservoir which I really enjoyed. I did the loop from Venus Drive carpark, and it took me about 2 1/4 hrs of moderate walking.

I used the 167 Sembawang bus which for the return journey dropped me right outside Raffles.

Next time we are in port we are docked for the day at SCC Harbourfront.

So this Southern ridges one seems sensible from there.

I have downloaded the route map PDF info.

Would Route A or Route B be more interesting do you think?

Thanks

Edited by Tranquility Base

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Last time in Singapore I walked the treetops walk at MacRitchie Reservoir which I really enjoyed. I did the loop from Venus Drive carpark, and it took me about 2 1/4 hrs of moderate walking.

I used the 167 Sembawang bus which for the return journey dropped me right outside Raffles.

Next time we are in port we are docked for the day at SCC Harbourfront.

So this Southern ridges one seems sensible from there.

I have downloaded the route map PDF info.

Would Route A or Route B be more interesting do you think?

Thanks

You did the Treetops walk? Well done!

Yes, if your ship is docked at Harbourfront, then it is the perfect place to start the Southern Ridges walk.

For both routes, you would see the Henderson Waves, and that would be a highlight.

Thereafter, I think Route B would be more interesting, since you wouldn't have time to do both.

2cwltec.png

Route B brings you to the Berlayer Creek area, and then you can end your walk at Labrador Park MRT, which makes it convenient for you to get back to Harbourfront too.

Labrador Nature Reserve is pretty cool. Here are some videos.

Berlayer Creek walk to Labrador Park MRT.

[YOUTUBE]hiv_FGKTDsI[/YOUTUBE]

Bukit CHermin Boardwalk.

[YOUTUBE]QOW4b_UQogI[/YOUTUBE]

Have fun!

Hi.... We will disembark our ship on Feb 15, and we then have 2 days/1 night in Singapore before we fly back to Australia late on Feb 16. I have just realized that this falls right on Chinese New Year.

How much will this impact our ability to do things around the city? For example, will public transport run as normal? Will restaurants, hawker centres or food courts be open?

Mostly running as normal. More shops than usual would be closed, especially during the first day of the Chinese New Year. But public transport, places of attraction etc would all be opened. You should still be able to find food.

Thanks very much for the info and map of the parks. I could be asking you more questions through the year!! Happy New Year!

Simon

I would be most happy to help.

However I don’t always check the forum.

If I don’t respond, please drop me a reminder at the email below. :)

Which ship will you be sailing on? And which cruise terminal is it scheduled to dock at?

• 1 month later...

Time to update this thread with more videos.

Food - Jia Xing Sarawak Kolo Mee. A chain store.

Ich_bbT71zg

Thai food, at this restaurant called Aroy Thai, located at Novena Square (Novena MRT station)

oZrOWlOzmj8

Azamara Journey, docked at Singapore Harbourfront Cruise Center. Take note, only the smaller ships will dock here.

0dNM2oRIhSc

In Singapore, we can get torrential rain! Stay indoors when it rains like this. Footage from car camera.

rwTB2aGgNOQ

Bought a new computer for one my kids, as it was the beginning of the school year.

[YOUTUBE]xb1amHmgmJA[/YOUTUBE]

Spotted this huge yellow man painted on the floor, as I waited to cross the road at Orchard Road, near Somerset MRT station.

[YOUTUBE]9MgiJEb6M5A[/YOUTUBE]

Collins is a chain store selling Western food. This outlet was at Orchard Cineleisure complex basement, near Somerset MRT station. The prices are reasonable, and the set lunch deal is pretty good! I had the mixed grille.

[YOUTUBE]dSLHLJuBM2Q[/YOUTUBE]

A large hawker center at Our Tampines Hub. (near Tampines MRT station). I had their Nasi Lemak!

[YOUTUBE]OtOpeekOhE8[/YOUTUBE]