Iceland excursions?

Southendweather

We are sailing on the Oriana next August and have three stops in Iceland. Currently the personaliser is not showing any excursions, probably because it is eigh months away still, but I was wonder, as a guide, what sort of prices some of these excursion where, as a guide. We tend to like the long days out seeing as much of the geography as we can. I just wanted to prepare myself as Iceland I believe isn't cheap, hence the cruise a good way to see it.

Keith (Southend)

I've found the prices from two years ago if that is any help.

From Akureyri the 'big' one doing all the main attractions (Jewel of the North) was 6.5hrs @£60

From Reykjavik the Golden Circle 8hrs trip was £87.50 (including lunch)

Between these two we saw the Geyser, mud baths, Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss and Godafoss waterfalls, Myvatn lake and of course quite a bit of the countryside and one or two lower key stops at the power station and some volcanic outcrops.

Apart from a cheap walking tour in Akureyri prices varied from about £50-70 and in Reykjavik from £50-87.50 other than helicopter flights or glacier safari which were closer to £200

Of course I guess prices have gone up but it may give you a ball park figure. Perhaps even the full day big tours including lunch I would think would come in around £100 so that might be an 'about' figure to budget for.

I also checked out the Golden Circle excursion done a year later on Celebrity which was $129 (with a better exchange rate then!) which looks to be similar to the P&O prices above.

We didn't do a trip in Isafjordur - they varied from £36-59 but we enjoyed a more relaxed day here visiting the Heritage Museum independently.

If you want me to quote specific tours I can but bear in mind inflation!!!

We used igtours for the Golden Circle tour from Rekyavik. They were excellent and we travelled on 16 seater minibuses. If you google them and select to see their cruise ship tours section you will see their offerings.

In Akureyri we did lake mytvyn with cruisingexcursions.com. Their trip matched an identical trip by the cruise line but for half the cost. They also used the same local tour company.

In Reykjavik on our second trip we did a free walking tour with https://citywalk.is/tour/free-walking-tour-reykjavik/. It was excellent. You could either take the shuttle to town or take the pleasant 40 minute waterside walk from the cruise terminal. Our guide Erik was superb and everyone tipped at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We used igtours for the Golden Circle tour from Rekyavik. They were excellent and we travelled on 16 seater minibuses. If you google them and select to see their cruise ship tours section you will see their offerings.

In Akureyri we did lake mytvyn with cruisingexcursions.com. Their trip matched an identical trip by the cruise line but for half the cost. They also used the same local tour company.

In Reykjavik on our second trip we did a free walking tour with https://citywalk.is/tour/free-walking-tour-reykjavik/. It was excellent. You could either take the shuttle to town or take the pleasant 40 minute waterside walk from the cruise terminal. Our guide Erik was superb and everyone tipped at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another vote for igtours - they were great on the Golden Circle tour and as the weather was really bad and we were not really on tour as long as normal Ronnie the driver drove us round Reykjavik and gave us loads of info

We also used igtours to take us to the Blue Lagoon

I would use them again - they were great

Celebrity website will have details of tours and indicative prices.

Iceland is no more expensive than major UK cities since the financial crisis of 2008. I read a book recently written in the mid 80s and there were half as many Krona to the £ as there are now.

Don't forget too that you can claim VAT back on purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

I have traveled to Iceland twice in the last year. Last February the prices were comparable to London. In August we were shocked at how the exchange rate had made it more expensive. I found trip advisor helpful on booking excursions.

• 2 weeks later...
When I did a cruise around Iceland two years ago I used a company called Fab Travel - http://www.fabtravel.is

Small mini-bus tours of all the main sites. Prices were a lot less than the P&O tours.

We used this company too in 2012 when we went, the driver/guide was brilliant he took us to all the sights the ship offered and even drove overnight to meet us at the second stop on day 2. We saved a lot of money compared to the ship tours but I think Princess are dearer for excursions than P and O...

• 1 year later...

Iceland Horizon took us on our Golden Circle tour last year, it was such great fun. Their a small company and were very friendly and easy to deal with. Our guide was called Odin I think, like the god. He was excellent and the tour was amazing, and really personal. They do the tours in minibuses and we had 15 people in our private group. They were much cheaper than the official tours. www.icelandhorizon.is