New to MSC and need advice from experienced MSC cruisers

Bluewake

After about 25 cruises split among Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Carnival we've finally booked a cruise on MSC, specifically a Caribbean cruise on Divina. By this time, we know what to expect on the various lines but do have a few questions about MSC.

The first is regarding formal nights. After years of dressing up, we've reached a point where we prefer to dress more simply such as dress pants and a collared shirt for me and a simple black dress or pants with a top for my wife. Will that be ok on Divina or is a jacket and tie the minimum for men? How about for women?

The second question is whether MSC allows you to bring aboard any bottles of wine, soda or water when you embark? Some of the lines we've sailed allow you to bring a bottle of wine or soda/water and some do not.

The final question concerns the surfer internet package. I need to be able to receive and send email once or twice a day, nothing more than that. I see there is a maximum number of megabytes or something. Just wondering what people's experience has been with the surfer package and whether it would be sufficient.

Lastly, if there is anything else folks would recommend for a newbie on MSC, we'd appreciate it. We realize there will be differences from the other lines but see this as something that differentiates the lines, not something to be dreaded. We are not very needy in terms of service and as long as there are a few food choices, we'll be fine. The Divina looks to be a very nice ship and we are really looking forward to this change.

Much appreciated!

Hi Bluewake. I will address some of your queries;

Formal nights: Dress pants and a collared shirt for you a simple black dress or pants with a top for your wife will be more than adequate on MSC for Gala or Formal nights. No jacket or tie needed. There will be an Italian night and a White Party if you want to bring appropriate colours, most don't bother.

Does MSC allow you to bring aboard any bottles of wine, soda or water when you embark? The simple answer is NO but I don't think they will get too fussed about water or soda. Alcohol is a big no!

Lastly, if there is anything else folks would recommend for a newbie on MSC:

The drinks package is very good value if you like a beer, cocktail, wine or other drinks including bottled water and speciality coffee. The food on MSC tends to look good but be very modest portions, not served very hot and you may feel cheated on first glance but, in the Main Dining Room, you can order more than one of each course to bulk it up. Buffet selection is often criticised but we have found it mostly good on 5 MSC cruises. The ships are very stylish and clean. Entertainment is very professional but the shows are quite short with little speaking as the languages onboard are quite diverse. Announcements are made in 5/6 languages but English is first and widely spoken by staff.

If you're comparing with RCCL or NCL, I would say that MSC is not on a par with them but the value for money is outstanding. Enjoy your cruise. Ken

We have sailed the Divina twice, never found the formal night to be overly formal. What you describe sounds more like the norm - though with all lines you see those who really do like to go all out and then those who do not.

We have taken sodas on in the past with no issues at all (for 4 cabins each trip). Never have taken on wine as we aren't wine drinkers.