Ok Guys, where do you carry money while on excursions?

nanface

This whole passport on and off gets a ton of posts on all the cruise message boards. The argument/opinion/discussion never ends. Really old. Oh well.

As to cash and credit cards.

We have been on 20+ cruises and extended trips. I carry a few credit cards, id and cash in front pocket. My wallet is a rubber band which I moved to 15 years ago.

Ships card in another pocket. My wife carries a different credit card or two than mine.

• 2 weeks later...

The embassy would be more than willing to assist with a copy to go from. We copy ours off to the cloud. We just take a picture of it and email ourselves. Logging on from anywhere on the planet can get us a copy sufficient to get us back home. Never ever walk around with the original.

Always plastic card with repaid credit on it, and usually that is either in locked camera bad, or in safety belt. Cash is kept in a smart modern webbing sort of trousers belt which hubby wears, this has a neat very small zip pocket on the inside; we fold bills lengthwise, and can get quite a bit of cash in. If we have to take passports ashore we use a proper slimline miney belt.

Everyone seems to be concerned about pickpockets in foreign cities while on a cruise. However would you take all the same precautions in your own home city? Common sense is required in most parts of the world if we are to keep ourselves and our property safe. However, let's not go overboard.

The embassy would be more than willing to assist with a copy to go from. We copy ours off to the cloud. We just take a picture of it and email ourselves. Logging on from anywhere on the planet can get us a copy sufficient to get us back home. Never ever walk around with the original.

You need your real passport to get off the ship and enter places like St Petersburg Russia.

DH and I each put small amount of cash for the day in our front pocket. We each put a different credit card in our other front pocket. If either one of us gets our pockets picked, the other person has a credit card and cash.

If we lose $200---not the end of the world. If we lost a credit card we would simply call the credit card company and use the other card.

Other stuff we need is in a small backpack that either of us can carry. I never carry a handbag on vacation.

Nothing in the backpack that is of any value so if that gets stolen or picked it would not impact our trip. They can have our sunscreen and umbrella.

I personally don't like cross body/strap contraptions because I would rather be pick-pocketed for a credit card or small amount of cash---as opposed to being yanked to the pavement or down a flight of stairs.

Have not (yet) visited anyplace where we felt a money belt is necessary since we only take enough money for the day, and use credit cards whenever possible.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that if you are off ship in a foreign country and have a circumstance in which you actually do need your passport, a photocopy will not do. A photocopy would be helpful when you visit the American embassy to get a replacement. When I go off the ship, the passport is with me and the photocopy is in the safe. I would not carry it if I did not have a secured pocket. I don't keep a wallet in the same pocket, because it is a pocket I do not want to use at all while I am out. I would prefer to keep the passport on the ship, but feel that I have to have it.

On our last cruise I witnessed one person having a seizure on a beach in Grand Cayman who was taken to the hospital just a couple of hours before all aboard. I also saw a couple run up to the gangway two minutes before it was pulled in Curacao. I myself fell in Curacao and luckily didn't need the hospital. That's why I always have my passport on me and keep a copy in the safe. Goes against conventional wisdom but it makes me feel better if something were to happen. I keep it in a secure place.

There are so many warnings about scammers and pickpocket artists in many of the larger tourist towns. So, Men, do you still just use your wallet kept in a pants pocket or something hidden under a shirt? Silly question, but what do most of you use? My husband scoffed at me for suggesting something other than his usual wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on an excursion last summer and were warned about pickpockets. A man on our tour had his wallet taken from his front pants pocket in a crowd.

Who is your tour operator?? Taking you into a place with kids with razors taped to their fingers . You don’t need to see that place that badly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

f

They're everywhere in Rome - trains, busses, tourist spots. I was targeted by a group of young girls, who acted very indignant even when I caught them red-handed in my front pocket. They exited the train at the next station.

Money belt under shirt for me.