Does it really take 4 hrs. to go down the Mississippi into the Gulf?

mrsbean1990

Unless something is done to stop the loss of wetlands, New Orleans WILL be on the Gulf in the not too distant future.

For the time being, it is about 120 miles as the crow flies, longer with all the turns in the Mississippi, and takes about seven hours, depending on river currents.

I read this somewhere, but I'm having a hard time envisioning that or believing it is true.

Isn't NOLA right on the Gulf?

Maybe the geography in my head is off...

Surprised me too! Takes longer than 4 hours. Enjoy your cruise on the Mississippi River!

I read this somewhere, but I'm having a hard time envisioning that or believing it is true.

Isn't NOLA right on the Gulf?

Maybe the geography in my head is off...

It's actually longer than 4 hours - more like 7 or 8 before you really hit the Gulf. Even longer coming back. It's not that long before you're in the wetlands, some of which used to be more land and less wet, after a couple hours - but there are still spots of land here and there.

• 6 months later...

I mapquested NOLA and then cursored my way down the river. It was very interesting to see the many islets and twists and turns in the river. All of that earth was carried there by the river day after day for thousands of years. There are 3 navigable entrances to the river, too.

Its too bad it happens in the dark, because I think the geography would be interesting to see. The river boat pilot steers the ship down the river and what's really cool is to watch him jump off the outside of the ship onto his tug boat that pulls up next to the ship. We were starboard on the fantasy and were able to watch from our balcony.

Ship docks with bow upstream. Upon cast off and departure, ship does a 180 degree turn and heads downriver. You would want to be on the left or port side of the ship as it heads downstream. You will see New Orleans - Jackson Square - Battle of New Orleans 1812 battlefield - lots of ships / all sizes. Little of anything on the west side of the river of note as I recall.

They usually park the boats with the pointy end facing upriver, but can, and sometimes do, park the other way.

On the following page, starting about #118 is one of the saddest things I ever saw - a cruise ship leaving New Orleans without me. :(

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Blog_2009/post/indexPost.htm

Wow! talk about a picture taker lol. Thanks for the link. It's not often you get to see a ton of pics from the port you are leaving from. That was great. I know it was the 180 spin of the victory in norfolk that helped start this addiction of mine. Then they did it in Saint johns NB with the triumph with barely enough room to manuever.

We did a gty so which side isn't nearly as important then what's above/below but was curious.

Wow! talk about a picture taker lol. Thanks for the link. It's not often you get to see a ton of pics from the port you are leaving from. That was great. I know it was the 180 spin of the victory in norfolk that helped start this addiction of mine. Then they did it in Saint johns NB with the triumph with barely enough room to manuever.

We did a gty so which side isn't nearly as important then what's above/below but was curious.

Leaving the dock is just the beginning - that is a slow turn against the flow of the river. The first bend in the river is basically a 180 with the river current and engines going. Then you know you're cruising! :D

I guess I'll know if I'm going to get sea sick in the first 7 hours!

Aww don't worry Deanna. I think the person on here that said if you are ok with rollercoasters you'll be just fine. If not then you might want to look into the sea sickness "cures". I know some of the ones I have read on here are simple to obtain and aren't wallet breakers.

No waves or swells while on the river. If you are still awake when the River Pilot leaves the ship and you clear the mouth of the river, you will feel a vibration as the ship increases speed and you enter the Gulf. Depending upon the winds, weather and sea condiitons, you may feel some movement of the ship due to swells. You may well be asleep when all this occurs and not notice anything until you wake in the morning.

Its too bad it happens in the dark, because I think the geography would be interesting to see. The river boat pilot steers the ship down the river and what's really cool is to watch him jump off the outside of the ship onto his tug boat that pulls up next to the ship. We were starboard on the fantasy and were able to watch from our balcony.

I know by the time we left the Mississippi and entered the gulf, I was fast asleep. But I was fully aware of when the Fantasy entered and headed up the Mississippi.

I was sitting on deck taking pictures of the oil platforms when I noticed a small boat arriving on the side of the ship. One guy next to me joking stated "You don't think they are pirates??"'.

The water all of sudden changed from robin blue to muddy brown. The passageway got narrower as we begin to turn. By then quite a few people were on deck to watch.

I have to give it to the crew to direct the ship into the river head. On both sides there were wetlands with birds, deer(?) .

We were not the only ship leaving or arriving at the head of the river and it was intresting watching all of the traffic.

I still recall standing on deck, watching the sunset listening to Jessye Norman singing "Vier Gesange". It was a magical moment during this time. I was late to dinner because I wanted to stay on deck even after dark.

I strongly suggest at least be on deck when the ship return to the Mississippi!

unfortunately you hit the gulf in the dark. i would love to see the off shore oil rigs in the daytime. they are little lit up cities at night.

We had a ship's backstage tour on Spirit in December, and got to talk to the captain.

He stated that they typically don't let little things like fog keep them from going down the river, and that he had NEVER seen the Mississippi river in the daylight, all of his trips had been at night.

Our first cruise last year was out of NOLA, we left port around 5:00pm and I was just going to bed at midnight when we entered the gulf. The change was very noticeable, as the rocking of the ship became very pronounced when we got to the gulf.

Something to note: On our return we were packing everything up the night before we got back. DW and I were in a certain state of undress in our balcony cabin :o and all of a sudden we saw a smaller boat with lights on out the window. We hurriedly put on some clothes and went out on the balcony in time to see the harbor master jump aboard our ship. As the little boat was leaving the whooped and hollered at us, so I'm guessing they saw DW of their way in. I doubt they would make such a big fuss about seeing me :)

Anyway, that was about 12:30 the night before we got back.

• 1 month later...
They usually park the boats with the pointy end facing upriver, but can, and sometimes do, park the other way.

On the following page, starting about #118 is one of the saddest things I ever saw - a cruise ship leaving New Orleans without me. :(

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Blog_2009/post/indexPost.htm

Thank you for posting these amazing pictures. I love it!

Just off Triumph March 20. Very rough sailing out of Nola.. many people sea sick. Overall good trip but one of the roughest many have experienced as noted in conversation with other passengers/gift store attendant.

• 3 weeks later...

On our cruise last year we planned on staying up for the 6 hours they said it would take to get to the gulf, but we fell asleep.... oops lol. This time we WILL make it, because I want to watch!

Archived