One food to try and one attraction to visit while in New Orleans

Buffalo Joe Cruiser

We will be visiting New Orleans for the first time in February. We are arriving two days early for our Western Caribbean cruise to Mexico on the Triumph.

If we could only visit one attraction where should we go? We are a family of five, myself, my wife, three kids, 10, 8 & 6 at the time of the cruise.

Also, if we could only have one thing to eat in New Orleans what should it be? My wife and I like to try many different type of food and would like to try food that New Orleans is known for.

I agree with the beignets, which brings you to Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter. If you are there on a weekend, Jackson Square is a neat place to be. Something for all ages. Crafts, Art, Entertainment. Touristy, but fun.

Bourbon Street is unique, but also alot of Adults Only entertainment, right on the street itself. We were there way back before Katrina, and Bourbon street at night was a ** pretty happening ** place. Chuckling as I write this.

I would also try a Muffalta from Central Grocery. It's a sandwhich with an olive salad on it. I printed a walking tour from a travel guide site and went on my own little tour of New Orleans. I think you would also enjoy one of the horse drawn carriage rides to see the French Quarter.

Unfair to only pick one favorite in the Big Easy. The biggest problem we have is deciding which of our favorites to visit.:eek:

Food

• Beignet's from Cafe du Monde 1039 Decatur Street (along with a cup of Cafe au lait) open 24x7. Tons of powdered sugar everywhere. Dress appropriately 'cause you're gonna get some on your clothes:p
  • Muffaleta from Napoleon House (500 Chartres Street) Yes it's a bar but the muffaletas blow away the ones from Central Grocery.
  • Acme Oyster House (724 Iberville St.)- Oysters on the ½ shell, deep fried soft shell crab. There can be long lines outside if you go during peak periods.
  • Breakfast at Cafe Fluer de Lis (307 Chartres St.) - a small hole-in-the-wall. Order at the counter. Great breakfast and perfect grits.
  • And there's the Gumbo Shop and Deanies and The House of Blues.

There are web sites for most or all of these places. Just go googling:D

To Do

• Jackson Square on the weekend.
  • The Flea Market on Decatur.
  • Carriage Ride.

and there's a bunch more.

Enjoy your time in New Orleans.

Charlie

We will be visiting New Orleans for the first time in February. We are arriving two days early for our Western Caribbean cruise to Mexico on the Triumph.

If we could only visit one attraction where should we go? We are a family of five, myself, my wife, three kids, 10, 8 & 6 at the time of the cruise.

Also, if we could only have one thing to eat in New Orleans what should it be? My wife and I like to try many different type of food and would like to try food that New Orleans is known for.

Hi, Buffalo Joe,

Since you'll be spending a couple of days with us in New Orleans, you don't need to set any limits on what to see and eat. I'd like to add my two cents on what Charlie98 has posted as he's included some great ideas.

Your kids will LOVE our world class Aquarium. It's located at the foot of Canal St. and just blocks away from Jackson Square, the heart of the French Quarter. I also recommend during the day taking the free Algiers ferry across the mighty and majestic Mississippi River. This is a sight that your family will never forget. You catch the ferry at the foot of Canal St. and just steps away from the Aquarium. The round trip will take about a half hour or so but it's well worth it, imo.

As far as food, along with everything already posted, I would try the charbroiled oysters at Drago's Restaurant in the Hilton on Poydras St. Believe me, they are to die for even if you have said in the past that you don't like oysters. :D

One last thing, if you come in late February be sure to catch a Mardi Gras parade as they'll be rolling then.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

Jorge, we have never taken the ferry across to Algiers. Is there anyting to see on the island?

Hi Charlie,

Algiers is the community right across the Mississippi from downtown New Orleans. Now I could be wrong, but there's not much to see as far as attractions go. Whenever we get visitors that bring their kids, this is a must do for my family. It's quick and inexpensive (free if you walk on and $1 per car payable on the return trip - bring exact change, though). The ferry gives you an up close and personal view of river traffic and of downtown and the French Quarter. The ferry platform is about 4 feet off the water and the kids, both young and old, get a kick from the ride.

If you decide to ride the Algiers ferryI would recommend that you do so in the AM.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

Hi Charlie,

Algiers is the community right across the Mississippi from downtown New Orleans. Now I could be wrong, but there's not much to see as far as attractions go. Whenever we get visitors that bring their kids, this is a must do for my family. It's quick and inexpensive (free if you walk on and $1 per car payable on the return trip - bring exact change, though). The ferry gives you an up close and personal view of river traffic and of downtown and the French Quarter. The ferry platform is about 4 feet off the water and the kids, both young and old, get a kick from the ride.

If you decide to ride the Algiers ferryI would recommend that you do so in the AM.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

Sounds like something DH & I would like to do this time around. We're staying in NOLA the day after the cruise and our plane doesn't take off until 5 p.m. the day after that. Can definitely work in a morning ferry ride.

Thanks for the info.

Dianne

Hi, Buffalo Joe,

Since you'll be spending a couple of days with us in New Orleans, you don't need to set any limits on what to see and eat. I'd like to add my two cents on what Charlie98 has posted as he's included some great ideas.

Your kids will LOVE our world class Aquarium. It's located at the foot of Canal St. and just blocks away from Jackson Square, the heart of the French Quarter. I also recommend during the day taking the free Algiers ferry across the mighty and majestic Mississippi River. This is a sight that your family will never forget. You catch the ferry at the foot of Canal St. and just steps away from the Aquarium. The round trip will take about a half hour or so but it's well worth it, imo.

As far as food, along with everything already posted, I would try the charbroiled oysters at Drago's Restaurant in the Hilton on Poydras St. Believe me, they are to die for even if you have said in the past that you don't like oysters. :D

One last thing, if you come in late February be sure to catch a Mardi Gras parade as they'll be rolling then.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

I would also go for the charbroiled oysters at Drago's. I might drive over today for lunch and order a dozen.:)

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the Dry Dock Cafe on Algiers Point is ok for kids (Ages 10,8,6)? Thanks!

Hi Joe,

http://www.thedrydockcafe.com/

The DDC is pretty much a New Orleans neighborhood establishment. Check out their website as it includes pictures and menu (kids menu included) that way you can decide what's right for you and your family. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take my kids there for lunch after the ferry ride.

Hope this helps,

Jorge

Hi, Buffalo Joe,

Jorge

Hi Jorge

DH & I will be in New Orleans for Feb. 17-19 and then the night of Feb. 27. I understand there will be a parade on Feb. 19 and Feb. 27. Any suggestions on where to see the parades? I imagine it will be crowded - how early do you need to line up?

Thanks for any information you can provide - Happy Holidays.

Hi Jorge

DH & I will be in New Orleans for Feb. 17-19 and then the night of Feb. 27. I understand there will be a parade on Feb. 19 and Feb. 27. Any suggestions on where to see the parades? I imagine it will be crowded - how early do you need to line up?

Thanks for any information you can provide - Happy Holidays.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, also, luv2cOOk,

There are two traditional parades on Feb. 27. One starts at noon and one follows right behind it. Both will take the traditional route from Uptown and will roll down St. Charles Ave to Canal St and then end at the Convention Center.

If you're a dog lover, there's also our annual Mystic Krewe of Barkus which rolls through the French Quarter and starts at 1:15 PM. Many, many, folks dress up their pooches and strut their stuff from Armstrong Park to Jackson Square and back.

Here's a good website for you that has a lot of good info.

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

The main thing to consider when deciding where to watch the Uptown parades is whether you are bringing kids or are just adults going. When we brought our little ones to watch the parades, we would set up Uptown in the Garden District on St. Charles Ave. anywhere between Lousiana Ave. and Napoleon St. You will find that the majority of parade goers in that stretch are families. You may want to get there a little early so that you can get a good spot on the neutral ground. If it's just adults then you can catch the parades on St. Charles closer to downtown or even on Canal St.

On the other hand, the parade on February 19, the Krewe du Vieux, in my opinon, is definitely not for kids. It is the only parade that rolls through the French Quarter. Yearly themes are very satirical and political in nature. Many costumes, signs and decorations are "adults only". Now that our kids are grown, this is one parade that we try to make as its always quite fun.

I'm sure that others can chime in with their recommendations. I hope you have a wonderful stay with us! :D

Jorge

Hi Joe,

http://www.thedrydockcafe.com/

The DDC is pretty much a New Orleans neighborhood establishment. Check out their website as it includes pictures and menu (kids menu included) that way you can decide what's right for you and your family. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take my kids there for lunch after the ferry ride.

Hope this helps,

Jorge

Thanks for the link to the DDC. DH & I plan to try it out either before or after our 1/30 Spirit cruise.

Dianne

Thanks Jorge! Will just be my DH & I. DH really wants to visit the WWII museum and other than that thinking we will do a cemetary tour. Someone also mentioned a place where you can see Mardi Gras floats. DH has never been to New Orleans and is really looking forward to it.

Thanks Jorge! Will just be my DH & I. DH really wants to visit the WWII museum and other than that thinking we will do a cemetary tour. Someone also mentioned a place where you can see Mardi Gras floats. DH has never been to New Orleans and is really looking forward to it.

Hi again, luv2c00k

Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World is across the Mississippi River in Algiers. It makes for a fun day trip if you take the free Algiers ferry located at the foot of Canal St. This topic is covered a few posts before in this same thread.

If you have to make a choice between Mardi Gras World and the National WWII Museum due to time constraints go to the Museum. It rivals any of the Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C. When you go there, make it a point to spend a few minutes chatting with the volunteer WWII vets (unfortunately there are not too many left). They will tell you stories about their own personal experiences during the war, most of which will amaze you. We are very proud that the LCVP's landing crafts or Higgins boats were designed and built in New Orleans during the war. Some historians call it the most decisive weapon of the war; this is a big reason why the Museum is located here.

The St. Louis 2 cemetary tour is very good and is our favorite.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World is across the Mississippi River in Algiers. Jorge

luv2c00k,

I am quite embarrassed as I had forgotten that Mardi Gras World relocated and is on this side of the River. Sorry for the faux pas. :eek:

However, the ferry ride is still pretty neat. :)

Jorge

Thanks again Jorge. We get in on Thursday afternoon & plan on doing the WWII museum on Friday. My DH will spend hours there I am sure (we recently returned from a trip to NYC - we spent 6 hours at Ellis Island! :eek:). Will have to figure out what we can do on Saturday before the parade - Mardi Gras World or the cemetary tour. Maybe we can do one the Sunday we get back from our cruise. Also have to fit in Cafe du Monde, Central Grocery & Acme Oyster House. :D

We live right outside of DC so often visit the museums there.

My two cents - don't forget to take a New Orleans streetcar ride - take the St. Charles Line - awesome; also, Cafe Pontalba near Jackson Square is a little whole in the wall with great authentic food - YUM; and I give my two thumbs for Cafe Du Monde - you have to get your powdered sugar fix

Archived