Full day tour in Mumbai and tour operator recommendations

Jade13

We will be in Mumbai on Azamara Journey in November and looking for a tour operator and recommendation for a full day tour.

Note that the ship docks for 2 days but the second day we have plans to leave the ship early in the morning and fly to Aurangabad to see the Ajanta and Ellora Caves, meeting the ship the following day in Goa.

I would have considered a ships tour for the one day but they are all 3 or 4 hours and do not seem to cover much. The short time period of these tours makes little sense as our last experience in India it took hours to get anywhere. I am also not sure whether to include the Elephanta caves since we are going to Ajanta and Ellora. The Elephanta Caves tour seems to be a 5 hour excursion from the ship and it sounds like the boat leaves from the same dock, so if we went on our own I am not sure we would see much of Mumbai when we got back, so likely should do something else. Also, we may only be two people as our roll call is small, so would lean towards an operator that has a lower rate for 2 should we not find others to join us.

Thanks.

Have a look at Grand Mumbai tours. They are new, enthusiastic and well reviewed. Pranav, the owner, has been wonderful with his dealing with me.

He has been very flexiable, and has allowed us to see what WE want and not

what the tour company has set.

There are other comments further down the review board on various tour companies pros and cons.

Hi - Two companies I would highly recommend are Mumbai Magic (http://www.mumbaimagic.com/) and Reality Tours and Travel (http://www.realitytoursandtravel.com/). I've been with them both and had a great time - and both have been around a long time and have a good reputation. I would give the slight edge to Reality Tours - I like their choice of tours and their prices are inexpensive. Either company will customize your tour if you like.

I would definitely skip Elephanta, which will pale in comparison to Ajanta & Ellora, not to mention eat up too much of your Mumbai time! Aurangabad is wonderful but it will be a lot for you to do in a day - especially if you're flying. Try best to optimize your time and work out tour details in advance if possible. I have a lot of Aurangabad info here - http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8295b/10d740/. You'll also find plenty of info on Mumbai & Goa (I lived in both places) by clicking on my name and going to my travel pages. Enjoy India!!

We used Mumbai Magic for a two day tour in Mumbai, and it was fantastic.. We did do elephanta, but it was in May and it was brutally hot. I'm still glad we did it, but wow, I thought Phoenix was hot...

Anyway, they were quite willing to customize the tour for our small group (two couples), and we saw all the things we wanted to see, including taking a ride on a (non-rush-hour!) Indian train with a local. It was a busy, but fantastic, two days.

We have used Mumbai Magic twice and are booked for a 3rd tour next month. They will work with you to customize the tour. We have been pleased with them.

I couldn't tell from your note whether this was your first visit to Mumbai. If yes, you probably would want to see all of the traditional sights from the Gateway to the laundry, the beach/wealthy district, the Gandi museum, the beautiful British architecture, the Prince of Wales Museum, the railway station. There are temples, markets and shops aplenty.

On another day, we wanted to go to out of the way places...watching fishermen empty their nets, to a local village where the guide knew many residents, to healing baths/waters,etc.

Enjoy!

If i visit Mumbai again, I would go for Grand Mumbai Tours

Passionate, honest, reliable and the best

Saw their reviews on Tripadvisor....They have only Excellent reviews...

I would recommend it to anyone and everyone...

There is always a difference between an I Phone and a ordinary phone of 1980's.....Grand Mumbai are the I Phone :D:D:D:D:D:D

How can you recommend a company you have not used?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I missed most of the posts but had already booked with Mumbai Magic. The response has been great and Deepa has customized our tour with everything we want and cash paid that day,

We used Mumbai Magic for a two day tour in Mumbai, and it was fantastic.. We did do elephanta, but it was in May and it was brutally hot. I'm still glad we did it, but wow, I thought Phoenix was hot...

Anyway, they were quite willing to customize the tour for our small group (two couples), and we saw all the things we wanted to see, including taking a ride on a (non-rush-hour!) Indian train with a local. It was a busy, but fantastic, two days.

We have taken trains around India before. It a real experience, especially if first class is not available!

We have used Mumbai Magic twice and are booked for a 3rd tour next month. They will work with you to customize the tour. We have been pleased with them.

I couldn't tell from your note whether this was your first visit to Mumbai. If yes, you probably would want to see all of the traditional sights from the Gateway to the laundry, the beach/wealthy district, the Gandi museum, the beautiful British architecture, the Prince of Wales Museum, the railway station. There are temples, markets and shops aplenty.

On another day, we wanted to go to out of the way places...watching fishermen empty their nets, to a local village where the guide knew many residents, to healing baths/waters,etc.

Enjoy!

We are doing all of the above with docks and fisherman in the morning, Ghandi museum, Prince of Wales museum, laundry, railway station, plus a few synagogues and Hindu temple.

We have been in the Mumbai airport on our last trip to India but never saw Mumbai since we arrived at night for a flight.

Hi - Two companies I would highly recommend are Mumbai Magic (http://www.mumbaimagic.com/) and Reality Tours and Travel (http://www.realitytoursandtravel.com/). I've been with them both and had a great time - and both have been around a long time and have a good reputation. I would give the slight edge to Reality Tours - I like their choice of tours and their prices are inexpensive. Either company will customize your tour if you like.

I would definitely skip Elephanta, which will pale in comparison to Ajanta & Ellora, not to mention eat up too much of your Mumbai time! Aurangabad is wonderful but it will be a lot for you to do in a day - especially if you're flying. Try best to optimize your time and work out tour details in advance if possible. I have a lot of Aurangabad info here - http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8295b/10d740/. You'll also find plenty of info on Mumbai & Goa (I lived in both places) by clicking on my name and going to my travel pages. Enjoy India!!

I will check it out. We are skipping Elephanta.

We have arranged a driver through our hotel so after airport pick-up we will check-in at hotel with breakfast and than heard right to the Ajanta caves which are 2 hours away.

For your kind information Donna,

I have used Grand Mumbai Tours when i was in Mumbai....

Have a nice day

Thanks

My apologies....From your first post (saw their reviews on TA) it didn't seem as if you had already used them. More details may have cleared up my misconception. :-)

It was I who has recommened Grand Mumbai, without first touring with them. I am recommending them on the already fabulous service and interaction I have had with the owner Pranav, where nothing has been too much trouble, his friendliness, patience and flexiabilty has been there right from the start. Friendliness and flexiability which were lacking in my dealing with one of the companies you have said you like Donna. As I was new to organising anything like this I found no help there at all, only abruptness and disinterest.:mad:Good touring starts with good people skills right from first contact. By lots of accounts others have had good experiences, I did not.

I originally booked Grand Mumbai before I even knew CC or tripadvisor existed, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Natashahun5's good review,and then even happier when I went on tripadvisor to see the company, which at that time was NO:8 recommended tour companies in Mumbai, and which has now moved to NO:4.

If I end up having a horrible time I WILL let you all know, loudly and strongly,

I will tell you I was wrong. But I seriously doubt that. I believe I will have a fabulous time with Pranav, just as others have had fabulous times with Mumbai

Magic or whatever other company they choose.

Wangeling Gal

ps Natashahun5 I do know you originally posted your good thoughts about your

tour in Mumbai, but it seems to be missing or removed:confused::confused:

not to jump into the middle of the discussion, but I will say that in my very brief dealings with Mumbai Magic, I have been very disappointed.

I wrote to them asking about a 3 day tour in April and the email I got back was abrupt and kind of rude. She stated I needed to book with someone else if I wasn't using them to book our hotels. When I wrote back asking about their hotel rates I never heard back and in fact am still waiting to hear.

She quoted us a rate for 1/2 day of touring for 4 ppl at !0,500 rupees (which was fine). But she added an extra 6,000 rupees to have an air conditioned car take us to the dock after the tour, which I found rather high.

I can't imagine what I could have done in a simple information request email to get a rude reply, but whatever, we are now booked with someone else.

Maybe once you book with her she is nicer?

Have to agree, we contacted Mumbai Magic and gave had back an abrupt email. Granted we were only tentatively enquiring as we were weighing up the shipboard options as 4-5 hours may actually be enough for us each day. I was surprised given how feted they are in here the response, but now on principle, we will not join a tour with this group.

"My apologies....From your first post (saw their reviews on TA) it didn't seem as if you had already used them. More details may have cleared up my misconception. :-)"

I had mentioned about them in a post on Cruise Critic...i cannot find that post....

I think there are other people on this forum who are traveling with them in coming months....Once they come back am sure they will mention about their experience with them....because i had an amazing experience with them, that is why i mentioned about them, the way you have been mentioning about those other two companies....:D:D

And i don't use Trip Advisor.....:p:p

They are really good Donna....Try them if you go to Mumbai ....

?? You mention in your very first post that "Saw their reviews on Tripadvisor....They have only Excellent reviews.."

P.S. I've lived in Mumbai for years. No need for a guide. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from Legend of the Seas with port stops in India. We used Mumbai Magic and Goa Magic. Email inquiries were answered promptly, guide contact info provided, and our guide and driver were waiting at the port for us in both locations when we arrived. We would use them again for a return visit as the guides were flexible to our interests and even surprised us with a few spots that we really enjoyed in both ports. My tip would be if you were four adults wanting to stop at many places, find another couple to join in and get a larger vehicle or go as one couple in each vehicle (price would be higher for just two.) The Toyota SUV we had was comfortable once seated but as I was sitting in the far back it was difficult to get in and out so many times. I also would recommend doing the walking tour of the colonial district if you have the time. You will be able to see the beautiful architecture better than if you are sitting in a car. Happy to answer any questions about the India ports we visited as well as KL and Phuket Town.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just come across a tour site - toursbylocals.com. The prices listed are for a group (check specific tour details) NOT per person and therefore extremely reasonable!

I just used them for a tour in Malaysia. I was very pleased. You can select the guide you wish to use and will correspond directly with them. Payment is made in advance by credit card to the corporate office in Canada. You will receive an email confirmation promptly from both the Tours by Local company and the guide in the city you will be touring. My original reservation was for four and after payment the other couple had to cancel. A credit was processed to my cc and they also adjusted the price for a group of two (which the local guide also had to agree to a smaller party)

I still would also consider using Mumbai Magic and Goa Magic as I was also pleased with them. If you are arranging a tour with people from your roll call that you may not know or may live in other areas, you will not have to deal with collecting payment and prepaying.

Both companies offered guides that were flexible to what you wanted to see aside from the suggested tour schedule and prompt response to queries.

We have returned from our cruise and had spent 2 days with a very knowledgeable lady guide Freni. Can absolutetely recommend Mumbai Magic. We were pick up directly at the pier. Mumbai was one of my favourite ports. Included in the price were entrance fees and wonderful lunches at different restaurants.

Just back from our cruise..we used Mumbai Moments..Amish was our tour guide and we all LOVED him..he did an excellent tour! He knows everyone!

We did a Mumbai markets tour with him and it was fascinating..even though most of them closed down unexpectedly due to a protest!

We cannot recommend him enough!

Sherry & Kimber

• 3 weeks later...

On our recent cruise, we used Grand Mumbai Tours for our tour around the city. It was one of the best days we have ever had, with one of the nicest young men you could ever meet, the owner, Pranav. Pranav loves showing people his city, and before and during the tour couldn't do enough for us. We saw everything we wanted to see (and more) and got a taste of Mumbai life. As it is a small company, you get very personalised service, from a company who wants you to have the best time. For a great tour of Mumbai, give Grand Mumbai Tours a try.:D

I've just come across a tour site - toursbylocals.com. The prices listed are for a group (check specific tour details) NOT per person and therefore extremely reasonable!

"Donna in India"? Your CC info says you are in the USA.

Btw, we never do tours that have to be paid in advance unless involving a plane or chartered boat. The company you mention is in Canada and we always deal directly with local companies.

Archived