Suggestions on touring Kyoto

4774Papa

Planning for our pre-cruise time in Japan. We will be in Japan in October 2015.

I have been researching spending from 5-7 days in Japan prior to our cruise.

We have two days in Kobe (arrive at 11am, depart 9pm next day) and one at Mt Fuji (Shimizu).

Considering two options:

OPTION 1

Spend five days in Tokyo and take in the city as well as day trips to Nikko, Kamakura and Yokohama. Then use the days at Kobe to see Kyoto. This option means we won't see much of Kobe, but it will be cheaper than option 2.

OPTION 2

Spend five days in Tokyo and two or three days (say two nights) in Kyoto, then when the ship is in Kobe, use those days to see Kobe.

I like traveling DTY if possible and believe we could do much in Kyoto and Tokyo on our own, however, my knowledge of Japanese history and culture is much less than of the many European countries that I have visited. Therefore, I would prefer to have a guide for at least some of our time in Japan.

My Internet research has shown that there is much to see in Kyoto. We may tire of temples by the time it is over, but I don't think we can see all that we want to see in a day and a half going there from the ship.

I lean toward Option 2 and still have to decide if we take a tour.

I found a 2 night/3 day tour from Tokyo that will cost $1200 for DW and self that includes the bullet train, tours and hotels in Kyoto. I can buy the bullet train tickets myself as well as hotel rooms for about $800.

My questions for those why have been to Kyoto:

Did you take tours or DTY? What do you recommend, Option 1 (can we do justice to Kyoto in a day and a half?), or Option 2. If Option 2, do we DTY or take tours.

I have seen posts on cc from those who DTY in Kyoto from the ship. I wonder what you were able to see?

For others that have been there, what did you see and how many days did it take? How many days do you need.

Here are some sites that I would like to see in Kyoto.

Fushimi Inari Shrine

Zenrinji-temple, Eikan-do

Kinkaku-ji Temple (Golden Pavilion)

Shugakuin Imperial Villa

Sanjusangendo Hall

Nijo Castle

Kiyomizu Temple

Ginkaku-ji (The Silver Pavilion)

the Kyoto Imperial Palace

I willingly take recommendations on the best way to see Kyoto as well as the length of time it takes. Also, suggestions regarding my visit list above.

Going to be in Japan March of 2015. We arrive in Osaka on the Quest Mar 3 and have 4th on ship before disembarkation on 5th. We have engaged a tour guide with car for the 3 of us for 4 days of sightseeing in Kyoto. In Japan a guide must have license for guiding and a commercial driver's permit. There are also the problem of a long drive from pier to Kyoto (over an hour) with a heavy toll for the faster bridge so this adds to the cost. Our guide is suggesting 1 day for west Kyoto and 1 day for east Kyoto and a day for Nara. Basically he will take us where we want to go. We will then taxi to train station and bullet train to Tokyo. We have another guide for 2 days in Tokyo who will show us around in car and the 2nd day drop us to the airport so transfers are included and makes the most of our limited time.

Some of the prices: $131.22 US for Kyoto to Shinagawa reserved seat on fastest train. one way. buy with guide help in Kyoto. 22,320 JPY for 3 days of guide and car in Kyoto region including transfers to and from ship and transfer to hotel on 2nd day with luggage (5,580 JPY per hour for car/guide)

8,500 JPY for the Tokyo tour (Discover Japan Tours) car and guide.

We find that with limited time to visit a place and my getting to be limited ability to walk long distances that it is well worth the extra cost for drop off at the door (or at least close) tour. It is private, it is flexible, somebody keeps you from making bad turns and you get to rest while being transported to the next thing to see (sometimes I pray for traffic jam to get more rest time!:D) plus there is a place for suitcases or your necessary stuff for the day. It has been working for us the last few years and really is not that expensive for the value you get.

Hope this is helpful in your planning. This might not be the cheapest of options -- (we wanted large car and you might be able to use smaller vehicle or no vehicle just a private guide and public transportation) I will try to get back on after the trip and tell you how our plans worked out as opposed to just contract for services that I have now.

In my opinion trying to see Kyoto during the day and a half docked in Kobe will leave you feeling exhausted and short-changed as well. We took the Northeast Asia cruise this past October with the 2 days in Kobe. We used those days to see Kobe as well as a very good side trip to see Himeji Castle.

We spent 4 nights in Kyoto before the cruise. We also went for one week in Kyoto in October 2013 so as you can imagine, we enjoyed it very much. We saw much of what you had on your list and all of is is very good.

One thing we repeated since we enjoyed it so much was to take the bus up to Ginkakuji then walk the Path of Philosophy down as far as Heian Shrine (about half a day) . Last year we spent one whole day and walked all the way to Higashiyama district - a full exhausting day.

The other place we liked enough to go back a second time is Fushimi-Inari Shrine which you have on your list. We did that on a full day that included Uji and the Byodoin Temple.

Of course Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) in the North is must see and on the way to the interesting Arashiyama area with the bamboo forest.

For first time visits to Japan and a historical perspective it is worth one whole day to visit Nara - the first permanent capital of Japan before it was moved to Kyoto.

The Japan-Guide has some good itinerary suggestions for full and half day tours in Kyoto. It also has suggested itineraries for Tokyo:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950.html

As far as Tokyo, we also did side trips to Nikko and Kamakura - both were enjoyable as well as very full days.

Planning for our pre-cruise time in Japan. We will be in Japan in October 2015.

I have been researching spending from 5-7 days in Japan prior to our cruise.

We have two days in Kobe (arrive at 11am, depart 9pm next day) and one at Mt Fuji (Shimizu).

Considering two options:

OPTION 1

Spend five days in Tokyo and take in the city as well as day trips to Nikko, Kamakura and Yokohama. Then use the days at Kobe to see Kyoto. This option means we won't see much of Kobe, but it will be cheaper than option 2.

OPTION 2

Spend five days in Tokyo and two or three days (say two nights) in Kyoto, then when the ship is in Kobe, use those days to see Kobe.

I like traveling DTY if possible and believe we could do much in Kyoto and Tokyo on our own, however, my knowledge of Japanese history and culture is much less than of the many European countries that I have visited. Therefore, I would prefer to have a guide for at least some of our time in Japan.

My Internet research has shown that there is much to see in Kyoto. We may tire of temples by the time it is over, but I don't think we can see all that we want to see in a day and a half going there from the ship.

I lean toward Option 2 and still have to decide if we take a tour.

I found a 2 night/3 day tour from Tokyo that will cost $1200 for DW and self that includes the bullet train, tours and hotels in Kyoto. I can buy the bullet train tickets myself as well as hotel rooms for about $800.

My questions for those why have been to Kyoto:

Did you take tours or DTY? What do you recommend, Option 1 (can we do justice to Kyoto in a day and a half?), or Option 2. If Option 2, do we DTY or take tours.

I have seen posts on cc from those who DTY in Kyoto from the ship. I wonder what you were able to see?

For others that have been there, what did you see and how many days did it take? How many days do you need.

Here are some sites that I would like to see in Kyoto.

Fushimi Inari Shrine

Zenrinji-temple, Eikan-do

Kinkaku-ji Temple (Golden Pavilion)

Shugakuin Imperial Villa

Sanjusangendo Hall

Nijo Castle

Kiyomizu Temple

Ginkaku-ji (The Silver Pavilion)

the Kyoto Imperial Palace

I willingly take recommendations on the best way to see Kyoto as well as the length of time it takes. Also, suggestions regarding my visit list above.

You can cover the main sites in Kyoto in 2 days. Kobe itself IMHO is very missable. I personally haven't spent much time in Tokyo but you could easily spend 5 days in and around Tokyo.

• 1 month later...
Going to be in Japan March of 2015. We arrive in Osaka on the Quest Mar 3 and have 4th on ship before disembarkation on 5th. We have engaged a tour guide with car for the 3 of us for 4 days of sightseeing in Kyoto. In Japan a guide must have license for guiding and a commercial driver's permit. There are also the problem of a long drive from pier to Kyoto (over an hour) with a heavy toll for the faster bridge so this adds to the cost. Our guide is suggesting 1 day for west Kyoto and 1 day for east Kyoto and a day for Nara. Basically he will take us where we want to go. We will then taxi to train station and bullet train to Tokyo. We have another guide for 2 days in Tokyo who will show us around in car and the 2nd day drop us to the airport so transfers are included and makes the most of our limited time.

Some of the prices: $131.22 US for Kyoto to Shinagawa reserved seat on fastest train. one way. buy with guide help in Kyoto. 22,320 JPY for 3 days of guide and car in Kyoto region including transfers to and from ship and transfer to hotel on 2nd day with luggage (5,580 JPY per hour for car/guide)

8,500 JPY for the Tokyo tour (Discover Japan Tours) car and guide.

We find that with limited time to visit a place and my getting to be limited ability to walk long distances that it is well worth the extra cost for drop off at the door (or at least close) tour. It is private, it is flexible, somebody keeps you from making bad turns and you get to rest while being transported to the next thing to see (sometimes I pray for traffic jam to get more rest time!:D) plus there is a place for suitcases or your necessary stuff for the day. It has been working for us the last few years and really is not that expensive for the value you get.

Hope this is helpful in your planning. This might not be the cheapest of options -- (we wanted large car and you might be able to use smaller vehicle or no vehicle just a private guide and public transportation) I will try to get back on after the trip and tell you how our plans worked out as opposed to just contract for services that I have now.

Thanks for posting your itinerary and info! My husband and I are spending a week in Tokyo and a week in Osaka as bases for independent touring this April prior to boarding the Volendam at Kobe (to Vancouver)--and agree with you about the benefits of private driver-guides when time is short and there is much to see and do.

However, I'm not sure I understand your costs:

• "JPY 22,320" (about USD 200) for all 3 days of touring from Osaka to Kyoto and Nara--or even PER DAY for a driver-guide for 3 people? That is AMAZINGLY inexpensive for that area. Am I missing something? Please post or email me (link below) your guide-driver contact info.

• "JPY 8500" ($85!) for 2 days of private touring in Tokyo (usually about JPY 40,000 or more per 8-hour day), including and airport transfers to Narita (which seem to run from 35,000 [uSD 350] and up.... I know I've misread this. (If not, I'm ecstatic!) Please help me understand. And, again, please post or email contact info.

BTW: I appreciate your always helpful posts over the years! :)

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Mary Lou I am finally getting back to you but I have the best of excuses. My granddaughter Johanna Ruth, was born on the 28th of Jan. We are still in Va for 2 more days and then I will look up Taki's price information and I will be glad to tell you of our experiences after we get back. I can say that the before experience on email has been excellent😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mary Lou I am finally getting back to you but I have the best of excuses. My granddaughter Johanna Ruth, was born on the 28th of Jan. We are still in Va for 2 more days and then I will look up Taki's price information and I will be glad to tell you of our experiences after we get back. I can say that the before experience on email has been excellent😊

Congratulations on the arrival of Johanna Ruth! :D

If you have a moment when you get home later this week, I'd be grateful for your Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto guides' names/addresses and prices--as we have to plan now.

If you prefer, just email me.

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

OP,

I looked up the Viator tour and it is a great deal. You get to go to most places on your Kyoto list, and Nara (which we loved -- feeding the deer is one of my lifetime most cherished experiences), and you have a "free" third day to explore Kyoto at your leisure, eating corn on the cob and takoyaki (octopus pancake balls) as you go from one temple to the next.

I hope you still plan on spending 5 days in Tokyo because it will be worth it: just looking at all the vending machines with Tommy Lee Jones selling coffee (which comes hot off the machine) is a special experience. One piece of advice: if you plan to visit Nikko (whether the day trip tour, which was very good and you get to see the "National Geographic" monkeys in a hot spring, or on your own) and Kamakura (we took the Mt Fuji/Lake Ashi tour instead and bought a little souvenir wallet that says "Mt. Fuji #1 Mountain," with which we agree!), alternate the day trips outside Tokyo with intense "on your own" days in Tokyo. That way your feet can get some respite on the bus or train during your days outside Tokyo.

We were last in Tokyo in December, on our way to Singapore. Instead of taking a 2-hour layover (between flights that are 14 hours and 7.5 hours long), we chose a 26-hour layover and went into Tokyo for a night. We visited the Sensoji Temple near Asakusa metro station (been there before, but it's beautiful and there's lots of fun shops) and the Hello Kitty store in Ginza (my six year old called it "the best place in the world.... I could stay here forever!"). You can easily visit Tokyo on your own since most places you would like to see are metro-accessible.

Have a fantastic trip!

OP,

I agree, that Viator three day tour looks like a very good itinerary for your pre-cruise.

Since you will now have your day and a half free when you dock in Kobe, I wanted to let you know how we enjoyed our time there.

Day 1 After we docked around noon, we took the train over to Himeji to see Himeji Castle and the adjacent Kokoen Garden. Highly recommended.

Day 2 Spent in Kobe. Walked the Kitano-cho district, visited Sorakuen Garden, and took the Shin-Kobe ropeway to the upper station and walked down through the Herb Garden. All of these activities were very enjoyable. Afterward, we visited the Earthquake Museum but found it only of moderate interest.

Himeji Castle 1443197312_PA270663(640x459)(640x459)(620x445)(300x215)(270x194).jpg.cc795ffc867c1da10537603a1dbdf367.jpg

Kokoen Garden 1542228030_PA270690(640x480)(620x465)(300x225)(270x203).jpg.33946170d3c6e607bceeb2f74937e7de.jpg

Sorakuen Garden 1894326695_PA280734(640x480)(620x465)(300x225)(270x203).jpg.e6f7de7e06faabc60464b08f4cef3cf6.jpg

Shin-Kobe ropeway 808329407_PA280777(640x479)(620x464)(300x225).jpg.3724dc9e63a677ed087f99b810ad67ca.jpg

Thanks, Barbara!

You can always email me at the link below in my signature line – but you are traveling, so I will email you. :-)

Talk soon,

Mary-Lou

Mary Lou if you email me then I can send you a copy of the emails I have used. Somehow your address will not come up on this computer.:p

Mary Lou if you email me then I can send you a copy of the emails I have used. Somehow your address will not come up on this computer.:p

You've got mail, dear Barbara! :D

Please "white-list" me--DrFUN at RealisticRomance dot com--as my email address sometimes winds up in spam filters. Let me know if you don't get it....

Thanks a million,

Mary-Lou

Been to Japan several time, but not on a cruise ship. We like to DIY and find it easy and fun way to travel.

If you are buying a rail pass I would try to get down to Hiroshima. Kyoto is lovely and has some amazing places like the golden pavilion but as someone else has mentioned Nara is a special place too.

The last trip to Japan we decided to base ourselves at just a few cities, staying 3 or 4 nights in each and doing day trips on the bullet train from there. Saved a lot of time of packing up and moving on to another town, finding the hotel, where to eat etc etc etc.

Consider the goodwill guide program. They are volunteer guides who speak English and love showing their city. We used good will guides in many towns including Kyoto, Tokyo. nara, Hiroshima. In Hiroshima and Nara we had students studying English so it was a win win situation. the other cities we had a variety of people, one being a retired university professor who taught English.

All it costs is their fares and meals and you learn so much.

I believe everyone should visit Hiroshima, its not a pleasant place to visit but a place that will leave you with lasting memories and lots to think about.

If travelling much the rail pass is by far the way to go but it needs to be purchased before leaving your own country. Bullet train travel is an amazing experience, spotlessly clean, always on time and with hostesses. They even have a "shush" car or two for those who don't want to be listening to others conversations and the announcements at each station. The stations in Japan can be quite big with many exits so research which exit prior to going, it will save you a lot of time. It can be a good 10 mins walk to get out of the stations. If you don't get a chance to go to Nikko try to get to Kamakura, its easy to get to, not far from Tokyo its a good 2nd if time is short.

We once had just a day and a half stop over on the way back from Europe and I managed to show my friend quite a lot of Tokyo in that time including going to kamakura on the local train. Her first time to Japan and she was very reluctant but now its on her bucket list.

Thanks, Tara Jane, for your generous and most helpful tips! :D

When you have a few moments, would you share your thoughts about the following?

FROM OUR TOKYO HOTEL:
What are your key "must-see" venues from our Tokyo hotel in mid-April--walking and/or using our Japan Rail Pass over 2 full days and possibly an additional half-day (though not necessarily consecutive days, as we are interspersing day-trips to Fuji and to Nikko with a private guide). (We're also visiting Kamakura from our ship at Yokohama.)Also: evening must-sees (for active seniors)?

FROM OUR OSAKA HOTEL:
(for about 5 days), we're planning to explore there as well as day trips via train to Hiroshima, Nara, and Kyoto--so any tips about any of those four cities would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth going back to Kyoto or lingering after a long day there for the evening Gion walking tour to see the geisha area? Other than the Gion evening walking tour, do you think these 5 days of touring from Osaka could be done without a guide?

Thanks again for your helpful posting and for any additional ideas.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

No worries, happy to help, I am not a great record keeper but somewhere I will have the itinerary as last trip I did with my sisters and one of them is so over the top in regard to organizing.

By the way, those prices quoted by Bowie me me, were they correct? I also found them unbelievably cheap. I wondered if there was a 0 missing from each of them.

To get into places in Japan, the entry fee is either dirt cheap or free, so unlike other countries.

You can eat either very expensive or very cheaply depending on your own wishes. There are many 7-11 stores on street corners, who unlike aussie 7-11 stores are very reasonably priced. It is possible to buy a meal, heat it in their microwave and sit at the table and chairs to enjoy. Not many big supermarkets as we know them. Have you booked your hotels yet?

No worries, happy to help, I am not a great record keeper but somewhere I will have the itinerary as last trip I did with my sisters and one of them is so over the top in regard to organizing.

By the way, those prices quoted by Bowie me me, were they correct? I also found them unbelievably cheap. I wondered if there was a 0 missing from each of them.

To get into places in Japan, the entry fee is either dirt cheap or free, so unlike other countries.

You can eat either very expensive or very cheaply depending on your own wishes. There are many 7-11 stores on street corners, who unlike aussie 7-11 stores are very reasonably priced. It is possible to buy a meal, heat it in their microwave and sit at the table and chairs to enjoy. Not many big supermarkets as we know them. Have you booked your hotels yet?

THANKS A MILLION for your marvelous emails, dear Tara Jane! :D

I'm responding via email--but please white-list my email address, as it sometimes get trapped in spam filters....

BTW: As you and I suspected, Barbara confirmed that a zero was missing from the quote.

Mary-Lou

DrFun I sent you 10 emails yesterday please let me know if you didn't receive them. Lots of reading for you.

I also thought of takayama its rather nice in the mountains not far from the Nagano winter Olympics site.

hiroshima miyajima kyoto and nara are definates if I was doing your trip. All of japan is beautiful enjoy every minute.

DrFun I sent you 10 emails yesterday please let me know if you didn't receive them. Lots of reading for you.

I also thought of takayama its rather nice in the mountains not far from the Nagano winter Olympics site.

hiroshima miyajima kyoto and nara are definates if I was doing your trip. All of japan is beautiful enjoy every minute.

Yes indeed, dear Tara Jane: I am thrilled by your generosity in sharing all those wonderful memories and marvelous descriptions with me! :D

I've saved them all to my trip folder--and will definitely include a great deal of your excellent suggestions and tips in our itinerary planning.

And I will email you again this weekend--as I'm out-of-pocket today and Friday.

Again, please know how tremendously appreciative I am of your incredible wealth of info! Your reports make everything so visually clear that I feel as if I'm right there with you--and I love your sense of humor. ;)

A million thanks,

Mary-Lou (& Dave, too)

Would you be so kind as to email your itineraries to me as well? My email address is critterchick at cox dot net.

In 2016 we will be visiting Japan for 5 days pre-cruise, sailing from Osaka on Azamara Quest. My initial thought is 3 nights in Tokyo and then making our way to Osaka and staying there for 1-2 nights. We overnight on the ship, so that will likely be our hotel room; everything else we will book with points. I would love to see your ideas. Many thanks!

Happy to do so. I will just forward what I sent drfun but be warned there is a lot of reading. I also sent her my daily emails home as I dont keep a diary tried many times but just doesnt happen. I am not a big city person so cant give u much on tokyo. We prefer to get out of the cities but kyoto hiroshima nara nikko are must sees for us.

I

Happy to do so. I will just forward what I sent drfun but be warned there is a lot of reading. I also sent her my daily emails home as I dont keep a diary tried many times but just doesnt happen. I am not a big city person so cant give u much on tokyo. We prefer to get out of the cities but kyoto hiroshima nara nikko are must sees for us.

I

I see a stack of emails in my inbox. I have over a year to plan, so I'm set for lots of reading - many thanks!:)