Mysterious Charges After Cruise

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:41 AM.
Lancashire... UK
1,146 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Aaahhh....so you are charged for a bottle of water that hasn't been anywhere near your cabin....wonder how that is happening....but as I said in my last post P&O know about it but choose not to sort the problem out..I am sorry but I still see it as a " nice little earner".....well....not so little ...in my book a few hundred thousand isn't to be sneezed at
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Oceana Caribbean Dec 2010
Princess Star Mediterranean Sept 2011
P&O Azura Caribbean Dec 2011
RCI IOTS Canaries April 2012
Princess Caribbean Round Britain May 2012
P&O Oceana Canaries Nov 20112
Celebrity Infinity Norway & Fjords May 213
Princess Crown Mediterranean July 2013
P&O Ventura Mediterranean Oct 2013
Thomson Spirit Ireland May 2014
MSC Magnifica Northern Cities Sept 2014
MSC Splendida Northern Cities Sep 2016
P&O Azura Fjords Sept 2017
P&O Azura Spain,Portugal & France April 2018
Thomson (Marella) Discovery European Experience Sept 2018
P&O Azura Fjords April 2019
MSC Preziosa Northern Europe & Iberian Coast May 2019
P&O Ventura Netherlands,Belgium & Guernsey July 2019
P&O Ventura Spanish Cities & Portugal Sept 2019
P&O Iona Fjords September 2020
55 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Originally posted by janny444
Aaahhh....so you are charged for a bottle of water that hasn't been anywhere near your cabin....wonder how that is happening....but as I said in my last post P&O know about it but choose not to sort the problem out..I am sorry but I still see it as a " nice little earner".....well....not so little ...in my book a few hundred thousand isn't to be sneezed at
Surely if it's deliberate by P&O that's in the realm of fraud / theft? I'm not sticking up for P&O and fortunately it's not affected us on any of the lines we've sailed with. I'm hoping it's incompetence on their behalf or the cabin stewards as opposed to anything illegal.
Stoke on Trent
608 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
On P&O, (this is the P&O forum isn’t it?), the large 1.5 litre bottle is in the cabin. If it is left there, no charge should be made, if it is used or disappears, it is charged for (approx £2) I think. As I said previously, we buy the 6 for the price of 5 package for £10 and this becomes one of the 6. If these mysterious extra charges are for more than £2, it won’t be for this bottle of water. I wouldn’t know because I have never experienced such a charge. But as usual, a simple error either on behalf of P&O or the passenger gets blown up into fraudulent misappropriation of money to reward shareholders.

I sometimes wish P&O would be more proactive over quashing such accusations but I suppose they consider they have more important things to do such as providing holidays for around 20,000 people every minute of every day.
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Yes and the bottle water charge always appeared after the final bill was left outside the cabin and other people reported the Same and I only found out when I got my credit card statement 3 weeks later.
That's why room service who supply these drinks are getting away with it.
P&O have known about this for several years as did RC.
Lancashire... UK
1,146 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hi....the charge that went onto our credit card was £3.20. I never buy water on board ship....I use the water from the buffet and put in a few drops of cordial from home then put it in the " fridge" to chill...I find it easier to drink that just plain water. I think a full explanation from P&O when we phone them would be helpful....seeing as they know about it they must have looked and the OP said after phoning P&O was told it is a regular occurrence. The OP has had the charge added on the last 3/4 cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by kenhem
Surely if it's deliberate by P&O that's in the realm of fraud / theft? I'm not sticking up for P&O and fortunately it's not affected us on any of the lines we've sailed with. I'm hoping it's incompetence on their behalf or the cabin stewards as opposed to anything illegal.
Like I posted it was widespread on RC and it was the 1 litre bottles of still water being charged every time that was supplied by room service and the same thing is being reported on this thread.
I complained to P&O about this over 6 years ago.
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by pete14
On P&O, (this is the P&O forum isn’t it?), the large 1.5 litre bottle is in the cabin. If it is left there, no charge should be made, if it is used or disappears, it is charged for (approx £2) I think. As I said previously, we buy the 6 for the price of 5 package for £10 and this becomes one of the 6. If these mysterious extra charges are for more than £2, it won’t be for this bottle of water. I wouldn’t know because I have never experienced such a charge. But as usual, a simple error either on behalf of P&O or the passenger gets blown up into fraudulent misappropriation of money to reward shareholders.

I sometimes wish P&O would be more proactive over quashing such accusations but I suppose they consider they have more important things to do such as providing holidays for around 20,000 people every minute of every day.
It's not P&O or cabin stewards it is room service responsibility for filling the mini bar and the phantom charges.
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by pete14

It is a P&O forum.
We are Atlantic 930 points on P&O,Elite on Princess, and D+ 187 cruise nights on RCCL and just highlighting that this isn't a problem exclusive to P&O and to show people who don't sail other lines that it is an industry problem with room service.
102 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
To those who say PO are trying to scam everyone well without fail every single time PO have added a small additional charge to our account they have been correct to do so. The last time it was £7.... the time before £3... the time before that another £3... but I knew it would be added as we had room service in the last week which hadnt been included in the final bill. Also we had bought water from a table on going ashore which hadnt been included, I could go on. No we dont touch the mini bar but I think a lot of folk just forget what they've had around the ship. The only criticism is PO are sometimes slow to add adhoc charges so when they appear on your credit card after the cruise everyone is adamant its a false charge. Well they havent scammed us.
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by my marina bay
To those who say PO are trying to scam everyone well without fail every single time PO have added a small additional charge to our account they have been correct to do so. The last time it was £7.... the time before £3... the time before that another £3... but I knew it would be added as we had room service in the last week which hadnt been included in the final bill. Also we had bought water from a table on going ashore which hadnt been included, I could go on. No we dont touch the mini bar but I think a lot of folk just forget what they've had around the ship. The only criticism is PO are sometimes slow to add adhoc charges so when they appear on your credit card after the cruise everyone is adamant its a false charge. Well they havent scammed us.
That's good for you.
After the first time I had a mysterious charge I keep all my receipts and they are charges for things we never had.
145 Posts
Joined May 2015
Just for information, I wasn't able to get a copy of our final onboard statement on disembarkstion on 1/07 on Ventura. A day or two after we got home, I emailed P&O customer services and they have sent me, by attatchment, a copy of that account. For once can I praise P&O for good service.
Also, knowing the system, on reaching our cabin for the first time, one of my jobs is to put all the contents of the 'fridge in the plastic box under the bed. Seems to work, we've never had any charge for cabin drinks at all.
Lancashire... UK
1,146 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hi...as this thread is continuing it seems like some comments make it sound like we could have been forgetful over odd items and that is accounting for the mysterious charge. This is not what this thread is about. It is about an unauthorised charge going onto your credit card that only becomes apparent when you arrive home and that P&O are aware of it.

In my case and I would think in OP's case it is not through our " forgetfulness". I never purchase water or any drink to take ashore...I never have ordered room service on any cruise line. The drinks I purchase at the bars are all accounted for and tally with my receipts...everything is correct but still this mysterious charge went on my credit card when I arrived home. It is being said that it is for cabin drinks but even that point is only a maybe...no one seems to know for sure what it is for.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Hi...as this thread is continuing it seems like some comments make it sound like we could have been forgetful over odd items and that is accounting for the mysterious charge. This is not what this thread is about. It is about an unauthorised charge going onto your credit card that only becomes apparent when you arrive home and that P&O are aware of it.

In my case and I would think in OP's case it is not through our " forgetfulness". I never purchase water or any drink to take ashore...I never have ordered room service on any cruise line. The drinks I purchase at the bars are all accounted for and tally with my receipts...everything is correct but still this mysterious charge went on my credit card when I arrived home. It is being said that it is for cabin drinks but even that point is only a maybe...no one seems to know for sure what it is for.
There was a long thread on RC and everyone said it was a drink charge from room service and because this has happened to us on P&O as well as RCCL I am convinced that this is what has happened here.
It only stopped when the big bottles of still water were removed from the cabin's.
I'm sure crew move between cruiselines so the way to do this can be passed on.
Lancashire... UK
1,146 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hi....I don't doubt for one moment that it is happening on other cruise lines. You could be right about the litre bottles of water but I don't have mine left in the cabin....it is removed....upon my request....along with everything else in the fridge on arrival. The only drinks left are the two small complimentary bottles of water.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014

Correct. I don’t doubt that the charges are for room service items, mini bar or bottled water but, like you, we didn’t use the mini bar (we never do), nor the large bottle of water and our on board account was 100% correct to our actual spend when we went to bed the last night. We consumed nothing chargeable from that point on, yet the spurious charge appeared a few days later - as it seems to do on every one of our cruises now.

So, no, it’s not forgetfulness on our part, but an error on P&O’s part, as admitted to me by them and acknowledged by a refund, apology and some additional OBC for our next cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Hi....I don't doubt for one moment that it is happening on other cruise lines. You could be right about the litre bottles of water but I don't have mine left in the cabin....it is removed....upon my request....along with everything else in the fridge on arrival. The only drinks left are the two small complimentary bottles of water.
Lots of people said on the RC thread they had the bottles removed but were still charged and it only stopped when RC corporate in Miami faced a mutiny and removed the bottled water from the cabin's.
Sunderland England
9,814 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
Correct. I don’t doubt that the charges are for room service items, mini bar or bottled water but, like you, we didn’t use the mini bar (we never do), nor the large bottle of water and our on board account was 100% correct to our actual spend when we went to bed the last night. We consumed nothing chargeable from that point on, yet the spurious charge appeared a few days later - as it seems to do on every one of our cruises now.

So, no, it’s not forgetfulness on our part, but an error on P&O’s part, as admitted to me by them and acknowledged by a refund, apology and some additional OBC for our next cruise.
Selbourne the exact same thing happened to us 4 times on RC and many posters posted the exact thing you are posting about not using the water and some took the bottles to Guest Services because they didn't want them and still got charged.
The charges were credited back to our credit cards.
123 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Here's the reply on my mystery charge. Hardly happy, but I'm getting the money back.

---

I am sorry to hear you have received this charge.

I have checked your on board account and can see it is for cabin services but charged after disembarkation, this is a turnaround error on our system and I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

A refund has been issued for £5.25 back to the card that was used whilst on board.

Depending on your card provider, the refund will take between 5-7 working days to show on the card.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and I wish to assure you of our best intentions at all times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature