Soaring cost of car rentals

vbmom87

I sat next to a lady on our plane ride to Anchorage complaining that she was paying almost $150 per day for her rental car she was picking up. She overheard me talking about our RV rental and we started talking. The 26 foot RV that we rented came out to about $188 per day including tax. It was a 10 year old RV, but it was well maintained and served its purpose. I didn't realize car rentals had gotten so out of control.

I sat next to a lady on our plane ride to Anchorage complaining that she was paying almost $150 per day for her rental car she was picking up. She overheard me talking about our RV rental and we started talking. The 26 foot RV that we rented came out to about $188 per day including tax. It was a 10 year old RV, but it was well maintained and served its purpose. I didn't realize car rentals had gotten so out of control.

Key is to book early, then watch if there are any decreases in prices. I paid $180ish for 9 days in Alaska last summer for a full sized car. Another $40 to drop it off at the airport instead of returning it to the downtown office where I picked it up. I booked about 10-11 months prior to my trip. Planning ahead is always a good idea.

Archived