Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I also want to add how great the vet in Bermuda has been. So far great to work with, and so fast answering emails.

Ive been to many islands and have some knowledge. But i know nothing about Bermuda. Im getting a crash course.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

We are going to Bermuda too - can you post the contact info Cindy?

Thanks, Dianne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have flown Jetblue for years. Always the best with John and Wex. We always get the bulkhead seats. Even with the extra room, Wex makes sure my legs are contorted for the flight. A few years ago we flew American to Miami because Jetblue doesnt fly there. Never again!! Now we fly to Ft Lauderdale and take the bus to Miami. So glad Gretel is doing great!!!!

I like JetBlue too, they have always given us the 1st row bulkhead too.

They now have Mint on the flights to the West Coast. Does anyone know what row they will give you if the flight has Mint?

Dianne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome back, Cindy, John and still Sexy Wexy! Ya'all are right, us "older" folks have a tough time getting around, feel for our furkids, even if all they do is sit and watch us do the work! :O We have been so busy with "live", not so good health live, that I have been really dreaming of a cruise. We are working on our house, too, DKD and I'm telling ya, every dollar we spend I think how many cruises we could be on! But, alas, the house needs some attention too! Plus I would be a wreck leaving Jezzy Lou with someone. Her Dogtor also has boarding, on site. We have left her there before, but only a few days. I am tempting in getting Antie GiGi to come stay with the furkids and Travis. I am a worry wart, though and have visions of Jezzy, bullying all of them and escaping out the front door to look for her MawMaw. We are on a very busy street and well you know the rest. Anyone, after babbling, like I do so well, hope every one has a great hump day! Carl what day is it? Speaking of which, neighbors down the street have a live size "Camel" in their front yard. Not sure what the significance is?

I will be traveling to panama Canal with my service dog and I can't get answers from anyone. Do you know what paper work I need to disembark in Panama?

Welcome, it sounds like you had a great time with "Gabby" onboard RCCL. That darn potty box can or can not be an issue with our dogs. We ALL strongly suggest that if you plan on continuing cruising with your dog that you do some "potty-box" training at home. I have my dog use a "box" on my patio, at home and a "box" in underground garage at work,

I have had two Service Dogs since 2002 and my first dog completed 15 cruises to Panama, Hawaii, Brazil, Mexico, Alaska, Canada and she flew to; Paris, Switzerland and we drove to Italy and Germany. My second dog will be on 10 cruises this December and just finished a 19 day cruise through the Panama Canal.

There are lots of other folks who have traveled far and wide with their Service Dogs, as well. And will answer all your good questions.

Most of my travels included the Aphis 7001 Form [filled out by your Vet.]; on this form will be all the information about the dogs health and well being to travel, including all current immunizations as well as the use of HeartGuard and flea & tick abatement supplement; the serial number of your dogs microchip and any rabies titer testing [if requested.]

Some countries may ask for special forms to be faxed to them in advance of your arrival and some immigration officials may ask to see all your dogs paperwork [and they may want to keep a copy, I ALWAYS make a few extra copies, just to give away], and, some may want to examine your dog and others could care less. Some may want to meet with you very early in the morning of your arrival to their country or island and some may not. Some may even ask for money to be able to take your dog into their country. I have NEVER given money to any official yet, and I've been traveling with my SD's since 2002. I just tell them that I don't have any cash.

I always suggest that you remain calm and assertive. The ship is being hassled by their officials and will NOT allow any passengers to leave the ship until all papers are checked and cleared by them!

I plan on cruising with my dog to Hawaii in December and NO ONE HAS STRICTER GUIDELINES AND DEMANDS THAN THEY DO FOR ENTERING WITH A DOG, EVEN BY CRUISE SHIP.

Greetings from Costa Maya, MX!

Scooter is at home with my son, and hubby and I are on Silhouette for 2 weeks. Halfway through the first week already! Crazy!

Boy said Scooter is bored and needs more attention. I'm sure! He is used to GOING all the time. He gets to laze around the house for two weeks.

I just wasn't sure about bring him, and I have a service human here. :)

Take care, all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome back, Cindy, John and still Sexy Wexy! Ya'all are right, us "older" folks have a tough time getting around, feel for our furkids, even if all they do is sit and watch us do the work! :O We have been so busy with "live", not so good health live, that I have been really dreaming of a cruise. We are working on our house, too, DKD and I'm telling ya, every dollar we spend I think how many cruises we could be on! But, alas, the house needs some attention too! Plus I would be a wreck leaving Jezzy Lou with someone. Her Dogtor also has boarding, on site. We have left her there before, but only a few days. I am tempting in getting Antie GiGi to come stay with the furkids and Travis. I am a worry wart, though and have visions of Jezzy, bullying all of them and escaping out the front door to look for her MawMaw. We are on a very busy street and well you know the rest. Anyone, after babbling, like I do so well, hope every one has a great hump day! Carl what day is it? Speaking of which, neighbors down the street have a live size "Camel" in their front yard. Not sure what the significance is?

Nancy I cant believe Travis is 15!!! Omg have we been here that long? Lol All of a sudden I feel old.

Scooter is at home with my son, and hubby and I are on Silhouette for 2 weeks. Halfway through the first week already! Crazy!

Boy said Scooter is bored and needs more attention. I'm sure! He is used to GOING all the time. He gets to laze around the house for two weeks.

Take care, all!

Hope you're having a great time!

What is Mint???

Mint is JetBlue's new business class. They have always given us row 1 and not charged us more even though its an "even more space row." I don't think they are going to let us fly in business for free. So I wonder if they put you in the first row behind business in the planes that have added Mint?

Dianne

Hello Everyone! 32 days until cruise day! I'm still VERY nervous about bringing Macallan but I'm completing all his paperwork and getting everything ready. I'm not at all worried about Macallan's behavior, he's a pro at traveling and never misses a beat. I'm a mostly worried about being able to participate in excursions with a SD in tow (and convincing Macallan to sit poolside rather than pool-in ;p). The cruise (NCL) seems to believe we will be able to do boat tours and bus sightseeing with him, which is what we are interested in anyway. I don't want to miss out on our vacation sightseeing. We've been practicing potty breaks in a box and he seems unphased by this.

We are cruising to Mexico, Honduras, and Belize. It appears to me that the APHIS 7001 form is all that is required for Mexico and Honduras but I'm still quite confused about what is required for Belize. Any personal experience from any of you about Belize requirements?

I'd also love to words of encouragement/wisdom about excursions. Right now I feel anxious about leaving him and anxious about taking him. :rolleyes:

Thanks Cindy - we are going in November. I need to talk to them about the import permit, I won't be able to meet the 10-day requirement since we will be coming from Southampton on a transatlantic.

Dianne

They seem very nice and willing to work with you. I think they realize you are only there for a day or two and not there to live.

Hello Everyone! 32 days until cruise day! I'm still VERY nervous about bringing Macallan but I'm completing all his paperwork and getting everything ready. I'm not at all worried about Macallan's behavior, he's a pro at traveling and never misses a beat. I'm a mostly worried about being able to participate in excursions with a SD in tow (and convincing Macallan to sit poolside rather than pool-in ;p). The cruise (NCL) seems to believe we will be able to do boat tours and bus sightseeing with him, which is what we are interested in anyway. I don't want to miss out on our vacation sightseeing. We've been practicing potty breaks in a box and he seems unphased by this.

We are cruising to Mexico, Honduras, and Belize. It appears to me that the APHIS 7001 form is all that is required for Mexico and Honduras but I'm still quite confused about what is required for Belize. Any personal experience from any of you about Belize requirements?

I'd also love to words of encouragement/wisdom about excursions. Right now I feel anxious about leaving him and anxious about taking him. :rolleyes:

You will be fine. We were very nervous our first time too. Especially since we only had Wexler 4 months. But Roz told us we'd be fine and we were! Nine cruises later, Wex is a pro. Best of luck and have a great time!

Going on your first cruise with your service dog is always a little daunting. Just have all of your paperwork in order and you will be fine.

We do a mix of ship's excursions and on our own. We have taken my service dog on trains, whale watching boats and buses/vans with no problems. If its a ship's excursion, as long as they know you are bringing the dog there should not be any issues.

I have not been to Belize, but it looks like you might need an import permit. Check

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-belize

Dianne

Whoa! You know what they say about the first sign of insanity.......Jumping from subject to subject! Well, welcome to the club ♥ I'm the queen of doing this!

Take care, all!

Barb, when my darling husband cruised with me and just lived life in general, he really did dual service; he was my adoring partner and my Service Human too! I miss him more than words could ever say! Enjoy each other!

Most importantly, enjoy your cruise ♥

Your anxiousness will keep you on your toes, it's not a bad thing. But, don't let it run your cruise. Maccallan [cute name] will follow your lead, no matter what your doing or what mode of transportation you're on. Do as much as you can and don't be afraid.

The tender boats can be tricky, make sure someone is beneath to guide your dog [because the small boat is shifting from side to side and moving up and down] it can spook the bravest of dogs.

Be on the lookout for stray dogs and other animals that may approach your dog. They're more curious and scared. Just shoo them away. It doesn't hurt to carry a "walking stick" to let all strays know that you mean business.

REMEMBER: In these foreign ports they don't have immunization regulations like we do and certainly no leash laws.

Make sure your dog is on his flea/tick abatement medicine and, of course, Heartguard. All it takes is one mosquito bite to make your dog deathly ill.

Also, give yourselves lots of time to get from one place to another because you will be stopped and asked all sorts of questions about your dog by everyone!

Have a wonderful cruise!