Sea to Sky Princess Photo Contest

BarbinMich

I was interested in entering this photo contest so downloaded the rules. I won't be entering because they require huge photos, so to speak. The minimum is 5 MB. I don't know about other photographers with 35-mm cameras, but I never save my photos in that size--they're usually 3-4MB before editing. After editing they may be even smaller. And the dpi of mine are in the 180 range, half of what they require. I use a digital Minolta Lumix FZ150 purchased in 2011 and it has served me well, but not in this instance. Presumably, most cruisers with cameras like mine or less sophisticated are also out of luck. What do other folks think about the requirements? Thanks in advance for your input.

I was interested in entering this photo contest so downloaded the rules. I won't be entering because they require huge photos, so to speak. The minimum is 5 MB. I don't know about other photographers with 35-mm cameras, but I never save my photos in that size--they're usually 3-4MB before editing. After editing they may be even smaller. And the dpi of mine are in the 180 range, half of what they require. I use a digital Minolta Lumix FZ150 purchased in 2011 and it has served me well, but not in this instance. Presumably, most cruisers with cameras like mine or less sophisticated are also out of luck. What do other folks think about the requirements? Thanks in advance for your input.

I just submitted 20 photos today.

They were taken by my iPhone and a Canon digital G-10.

Didn't resize any of them and didn't have any problems.

I just submitted 20 photos today.

They were taken by my iPhone and a Canon digital G-10.

Didn't resize any of them and didn't have any problems.

Thanks. I'll try some and see what happens. How big (in MB) are your iPhone photos generally, if I may ask?

Thanks. I'll try some and see what happens. How big (in MB) are your iPhone photos generally, if I may ask?

I never paid attention to that 5mb size listed.........I guess they might reject them.

Mine are huge anyway IMO

1.5 to 4 mb.

1 panorama is 12.6

Maybe that 5mb listed by Princess is not correct.

I never paid attention to that 5mb size listed.........I guess they might reject them.

Mine are huge anyway IMO

1.5 to 4 mb.

1 panorama is 12.6

Maybe that 5mb listed by Princess is not correct.

From the official rules:

================

Photo submission must be of a high quality resolution. The destination Entrant captures and/or whether Entrant captures the Photo onboard a cruise will not increase or decrease that Entrant’s chances of winning the prize. Photo submission must be in JPEG format, at least 3000 x 5000 pixels, no less than 5 megabytes, no less than 300 dpi, and relevant to the Theme.

From the official rules:

================

Photo submission must be of a high quality resolution. The destination Entrant captures and/or whether Entrant captures the Photo onboard a cruise will not increase or decrease that Entrant’s chances of winning the prize. Photo submission must be in JPEG format, at least 3000 x 5000 pixels, no less than 5 megabytes, no less than 300 dpi, and relevant to the Theme.

Well I guess they all go bye bye. :(

Maybe I should not mention this (gives me a better chance of winning the contest:evilsmile:) but we're here to help each other don't we :halo:.

Anybody that is interested of entering but think they have not the required 300 DPI with their pictures should check out this website about photography.

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/whatisdpi.html

Theo

Maybe I should not mention this (gives me a better chance of winning the contest:evilsmile:) but we're here to help each other don't we :halo:.

Anybody that is interested of entering but think they have not the required 300 DPI with their pictures should check out this website about photography.

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/whatisdpi.html

Theo

Thanks, very useful. I thought my photos would cut the mustard as my last lot were all around 6-7 meg, well over the required pixels but when I finally found the DPI, they are around 200. So I'm guessing that unless you have a camera similar to what the pros use, then forget it.

Thanks, very useful. I thought my photos would cut the mustard as my last lot were all around 6-7 meg, well over the required pixels but when I finally found the DPI, they are around 200. So I'm guessing that unless you have a camera similar to what the pros use, then forget it.

You can change the DPI without reducing the quality of the picture as explained on that website.

Theo

And the dpi of mine are in the 180 range, half of what they require. I use a digital Minolta Lumix FZ150 purchased in 2011 and it has served me well, but not in this instance. Presumably, most cruisers with cameras like mine or less sophisticated are also out of luck. What do other folks think about the requirements? Thanks in advance for your input.

Thrak posted some details:

"Photo submission must be in JPEG format, at least 3000 x 5000 pixels, no less than 5 megabytes, no less than 300 dpi, and relevant to the Theme."

dpi in this usage is meaningless, as you don't know the size they intend to print.

The only useful requirement is 3000x5000 pixels, which is 15MP

I checked the FZ150, and it is a 12MP camera (3000x4000), so it doesn't quite make it.

One would probably want to start with a higher resolution image, so that after any cropping,

you have the required 3000x5000 pixels left.

You can change the DPI without reducing the quality of the picture as explained on that website.

Theo

Sorry, my bad then. I just read what was meant by DPI and didn't keep reading. Oops.

Edit - I just read the full article, and now my head hurts. Clear as mud.

Edited by leck57

Thrak posted some details:

"Photo submission must be in JPEG format, at least 3000 x 5000 pixels, no less than 5 megabytes, no less than 300 dpi, and relevant to the Theme."

dpi in this usage is meaningless, as you don't know the size they intend to print.

The only useful requirement is 3000x5000 pixels, which is 15MP

I checked the FZ150, and it is a 12MP camera (3000x4000), so it doesn't quite make it.

One would probably want to start with a higher resolution image, so that after any cropping, you have the required 3000x5000 pixels left.

Renmar, thanks so much for your thorough reply. You're right that my camera can do 12MP; I have no idea why I chose the 2nd highest (8MP). Perhaps when I first got the camera, my computer storage was more limited and/or I had no idea what I was doing. At least I didn't choose 3MP ;-) Guess I'll have to get a new camera if I ever want to enter one of these contests.

Interesting that say the best photos will be print and displayed on the Sky... My thought is how big and they going to be... I use a 12mp DSLR and love landscape photography... and on the walls at home have lots printed and framed and biggest are 20x30 inches and a lot are 24x18 and they all look great... So I can't see why they want 3000 x 5000 pixals... So I think they only want people with the latest and best equipment.

Me I take the camera on a cruise, but it does take a back seat.... now time for food and drink

Cheers Don

I never enter Princess photo contests for one reason - they have rights to use any photo that is entered, even if it doesn't win and even if they don't pay you a penny. Sorry, I don't give my photos away, especially to large companies that make a good profit.

Frankly I don't care what they do with the photos I sent. It's not as if I'm going to do anything with them.

Interesting that say the best photos will be print and displayed on the Sky... My thought is how big and they going to be... I use a 12mp DSLR and love landscape photography... and on the walls at home have lots printed and framed and biggest are 20x30 inches and a lot are 24x18 and they all look great..

There is a big difference between a 12mp image taken with a large sensor DSLR, and

a 12mp image taken with a 1/2.3" sensor.