A Few thoughts on the Sun 7 Day to Cuba

Medtech2

I am way too tired to do an actual review as our travel back home was delayed by Florence but I wanted to post a few thoughts/observations while they were fresh.

First, the bad. That was our steward. He had to be the worst steward we have ever had, and had a somewhat passive aggressive personality. I know it was not just towards us because the people in the next cabin had the same issues. I won’t go into detail because hopefully he will be trained some more or offered a different position on the ship. I had no plans to lower the DSC like some would have and I did not, because we had just outstanding service from the rest of the crew. Because of the itinerary our M & G did not occur until after GSC and Havana. DH mentioned a problem to the officers and they were very attentive and jumped right on it. Unfortunately the problems persisted so I wrote a letter to HD Brian the last day of the cruise, just to detail our experiences and I was totally shocked that he wanted to meet with us that evening after dinner to discuss it. Honestly I just wanted to let them know of problems so they could be corrected. Brian was SO nice. He could see our whole cruising history on his computer so knew I was not complaining just to be complaining. I left knowing that good customer service is alive and well on Norwegian, which is why we do not normally cruise the “other line” docked right here in Charleston but go to the expense of flying in order to cruise this line.

Enough of that!

First a big positive was that I think I saw maybe a dozen kids the whole cruise, and they were all very well behaved. Even though we were sailing full, it seemed like there was no crowding whatsoever. In fact, when we had to stand in line for Miami Customs I was wondering where all these people had been all week!

No chair hogs, saw plenty of loungers available in the sun and shade. A hidden gem on this ship are the loungers along the Deck 6 promenade on either side. They are shaded, it’s quiet, great view, very peaceful. I’m not a fan of the hairy leg or raunchy sexy female bits by the pool so that was easily remedied by noting in the Daily when they would occur and being elsewhere.

DH likes the hot tubs and always found plenty of room. I’m not a fan because I work in a hospital lab—enough said...

It seemed almost everyone had the beverage perk but we really never waited more than a few minutes for drinks at the bars. Here I want to give a shout out to the Tradewinds Bar. OMG what wonderful staff! I discovered the Honey Lemonade drink here and I believe I have gained 10 pounds downing those puppies. I tried ordering one at The Atrium Bar but it was not the same. Maria and the staff at Tradewinds have it totally right, and they knew what I wanted without me saying anything. Many times during the day and evening DH and I would plan our route to activities, dinner, whatever, by going through here to get a fresh drink. The only negative here was that the restroom next door apparently stopped working. I went into the ladies room one evening and the toilets would not flush. Unfortunately a fellow passenger was being sick and because the toilet would not flush she moved to puking in the sink while I was washing my hands. Holy Cow. There were repeated water leaks in this area and the carpet developed a horrible stench. The crew would spray deoderizer but it did come back a few times.

The musical entertainment at Tradewinds with Beau Tahana was great and a whole lot of fun. That leads me to the production shows. They were really good! I very much enjoyed them, as I did the comedian. The ventriloquist was not my cup of tea but I still enjoyed his show also. There was one group I didn’t think were too good but there was such a variety of musical acts stationed around the ship that there was always something you could enjoy. There were even singing guitarists accompanying the washy washy ladies, and they were also very talented. The last evening was a singalong with the crew in the Atrium where they passed out music and everyone sang together. The song choices were not what I would have picked and I don’t know if this idea will last or not. I did mention to Brian that we missed the crew talent shows they used to have.

The food! Oh, the food! We also had the dining package perk and platinum dinners. Previously we had dined in Teppanyaki and I did not like it at all, and wondered what all the hype was about. Since we had the package we wanted to try it one more time. It was so good we cancelled La Cucina to eat at Teppanyaki a second time. The filet was perfect and I liked the garlic rice and vegetables. I do NOT like the miso soup or seaweed salad but everyone else just slurped theirs right up. If you can’t get a dinner reservation they are open for lunch on sea days. Our chef was a cute guy...

Cagney’s was okay but Le Bistro did a much better filet. It was huge but I forced myself to finish it because it was so good and buttery tender. My only advice in all venues is to ask for your steak one step rarer than you normally get, because medium rare consistently came out medium and medium was well done. The Cagney fries were not all that great to me. The fondue in Le Bistro was so good I was eating it from a spoon. Not a fan of the fruit, would have preferred cake cubes.

Moderno has a very interesting salad bar and there was some type of liitle round pasta salad with dried cranberries that I could eat giant bowls of. I told the staff I really only wanted non-bacon filet and lamb and I was inundated. The lamb was fabulous. Don’t waste space on the bland sides....

My great disappointment food wise was that the Sports Bar only serves food after 5 pm! Their wings were some of the best I have had and I would have loved them every day at lunch. As it were, I forced myself to eat some one night even though I was still full from dinner. That was the downside to having the dinner promo and platinum perk!

Speaking of food, I had never known there was a Taco Hut on GSC. Now that was a hidden gem! They had beef, chicken, and fish tacos. The fish tacos were the best, IMO. No more GSC buffet for me. Only the tacos.

We had cabin 6009. This is a square shaped obstructed OV. It had the same square footage but it seemed to have more floor space. Basically, instead of the bed and sofa being in a line down the wall they were side by side, with a pulldown over the sofa. The main closet had it’s own alcove and there was lots of floor space there. If I had 3 or 4 in a cabin I’d prefer this set up as there would be less passing by each other to and from the door, the bathroom or the closet area. The very large porthole was over the head of the bed and the obstructed part was that the walking track was right outside. No worries because they roped this area off every day from 8pm to 8am. We still had a great view of the ocean. The glass has a coating so someone cannot casually look in but would have to press their faces to the glass. The only drawback was that dirty glasses, cups and the occasional dish wound up next to our door, as we were first in the line from the main hallway and one of our steward’s drawbacks was that he would leave it all there for days on end. We left our dirty glasses in our cabin by the ice bucket and he would fill the bucket but leave the dirty glasses there. A big plus to the location was being close to the elevators but around the corner so we did not have people constantly walking by our cabin. Another huge plus was being on Deck 6 same as The Tradewinds Bar, Bliss, and the Stardust Theatre at the other end.

Whew! For being exhausted with painful swollen legs from flying I have written way more than I had planned. I’ll come back tomorrow to touch on the embarkation, debarkation, and ports....

Edited by Medtech2

Remember the good old days when Norwegian sailed from Charleston???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately no. We just started regularly cruising in 2010. Before that we did do the Triumph out of Charleston, which was so unmemorable I couldn’t tell you anything about it, lol. And I do remember Celebrity having Noro problems on several cruises from here....

But it would be great if NCL would base a ship here!

I am way too tired to do an actual review as our travel back home was delayed by Florence but I wanted to post a few thoughts/observations while they were fresh.

First, the bad. That was our steward. He had to be the worst steward we have ever had, and had a somewhat passive aggressive personality. I know it was not just towards us because the people in the next cabin had the same issues. I won’t go into detail because hopefully he will be trained some more or offered a different position on the ship. I had no plans to lower the DSC like some would have and I did not, because we had just outstanding service from the rest of the crew. Because of the itinerary our M & G did not occur until after GSC and Havana. DH mentioned a problem to the officers and they were very attentive and jumped right on it. Unfortunately the problems persisted so I wrote a letter to HD Brian the last day of the cruise, just to detail our experiences and I was totally shocked that he wanted to meet with us that evening after dinner to discuss it. Honestly I just wanted to let them know of problems so they could be corrected. Brian was SO nice. He could see our whole cruising history on his computer so knew I was not complaining just to be complaining. I left knowing that good customer service is alive and well on Norwegian, which is why we do not normally cruise the “other line” docked right here in Charleston but go to the expense of flying in order to cruise this line.

Enough of that!

First a big positive was that I think I saw maybe a dozen kids the whole cruise, and they were all very well behaved. Even though we were sailing full, it seemed like there was no crowding whatsoever. In fact, when we had to stand in line for Miami Customs I was wondering where all these people had been all week!

No chair hogs, saw plenty of loungers available in the sun and shade. A hidden gem on this ship are the loungers along the Deck 6 promenade on either side. They are shaded, it’s quiet, great view, very peaceful. I’m not a fan of the hairy leg or raunchy sexy female bits by the pool so that was easily remedied by noting in the Daily when they would occur and being elsewhere.

DH likes the hot tubs and always found plenty of room. I’m not a fan because I work in a hospital lab—enough said...

It seemed almost everyone had the beverage perk but we really never waited more than a few minutes for drinks at the bars. Here I want to give a shout out to the Tradewinds Bar. OMG what wonderful staff! I discovered the Honey Lemonade drink here and I believe I have gained 10 pounds downing those puppies. I tried ordering one at The Atrium Bar but it was not the same. Maria and the staff at Tradewinds have it totally right, and they knew what I wanted without me saying anything. Many times during the day and evening DH and I would plan our route to activities, dinner, whatever, by going through here to get a fresh drink. The only negative here was that the restroom next door apparently stopped working. I went into the ladies room one evening and the toilets would not flush. Unfortunately a fellow passenger was being sick and because the toilet would not flush she moved to puking in the sink while I was washing my hands. Holy Cow. There were repeated water leaks in this area and the carpet developed a horrible stench. The crew would spray deoderizer but it did come back a few times.

The musical entertainment at Tradewinds with Beau Tahana was great and a whole lot of fun. That leads me to the production shows. They were really good! I very much enjoyed them, as I did the comedian. The ventriloquist was not my cup of tea but I still enjoyed his show also. There was one group I didn’t think were too good but there was such a variety of musical acts stationed around the ship that there was always something you could enjoy. There were even singing guitarists accompanying the washy washy ladies, and they were also very talented. The last evening was a singalong with the crew in the Atrium where they passed out music and everyone sang together. The song choices were not what I would have picked and I don’t know if this idea will last or not. I did mention to Brian that we missed the crew talent shows they used to have.

The food! Oh, the food! We also had the dining package perk and platinum dinners. Previously we had dined in Teppanyaki and I did not like it at all, and wondered what all the hype was about. Since we had the package we wanted to try it one more time. It was so good we cancelled La Cucina to eat at Teppanyaki a second time. The filet was perfect and I liked the garlic rice and vegetables. I do NOT like the miso soup or seaweed salad but everyone else just slurped theirs right up. If you can’t get a dinner reservation they are open for lunch on sea days. Our chef was a cute guy...

Cagney’s was okay but Le Bistro did a much better filet. It was huge but I forced myself to finish it because it was so good and buttery tender. My only advice in all venues is to ask for your steak one step rarer than you normally get, because medium rare consistently came out medium and medium was well done. The Cagney fries were not all that great to me. The fondue in Le Bistro was so good I was eating it from a spoon. Not a fan of the fruit, would have preferred cake cubes.

Moderno has a very interesting salad bar and there was some type of liitle round pasta salad with dried cranberries that I could eat giant bowls of. I told the staff I really only wanted non-bacon filet and lamb and I was inundated. The lamb was fabulous. Don’t waste space on the bland sides....

My great disappointment food wise was that the Sports Bar only serves food after 5 pm! Their wings were some of the best I have had and I would have loved them every day at lunch. As it were, I forced myself to eat some one night even though I was still full from dinner. That was the downside to having the dinner promo and platinum perk!

Speaking of food, I had never known there was a Taco Hut on GSC. Now that was a hidden gem! They had beef, chicken, and fish tacos. The fish tacos were the best, IMO. No more GSC buffet for me. Only the tacos.

We had cabin 6009. This is a square shaped obstructed OV. It had the same square footage but it seemed to have more floor space. Basically, instead of the bed and sofa being in a line down the wall they were side by side, with a pulldown over the sofa. The main closet had it’s own alcove and there was lots of floor space there. If I had 3 or 4 in a cabin I’d prefer this set up as there would be less passing by each other to and from the door, the bathroom or the closet area. The very large porthole was over the head of the bed and the obstructed part was that the walking track was right outside. No worries because they roped this area off every day from 8pm to 8am. We still had a great view of the ocean. The glass has a coating so someone cannot casually look in but would have to press their faces to the glass. The only drawback was that dirty glasses, cups and the occasional dish wound up next to our door, as we were first in the line from the main hallway and one of our steward’s drawbacks was that he would leave it all there for days on end. We left our dirty glasses in our cabin by the ice bucket and he would fill the bucket but leave the dirty glasses there. A big plus to the location was being close to the elevators but around the corner so we did not have people constantly walking by our cabin. Another huge plus was being on Deck 6 same as The Tradewinds Bar, Bliss, and the Stardust Theatre at the other end.

Whew! For being exhausted with painful swollen legs from flying I have written way more than I had planned. I’ll come back tomorrow to touch on the embarkation, debarkation, and ports....

Nice review and glad you are home safe, now get some rest. As for bad cabin steward, we have only had a couple of them in all our cruising experiences, but we too have had a few.

Interesting about Le Bistro and Cagney's. I have never been a huge fan of Cagney''s like so many others and love Le Bistro. We too are platinum and usually have the dining package, so do eat at Cagney's but it is not number 1 on our list.

Embarkation was not bad but we wondered why they waited so long to let people board when the ship had arrived empty the day before. The line to go through security moved quickly, as did check in, although there were more people in the Priority line than the other line. We were handed Boarding Group 6 but as Platinum we just walked up when they started calling groups after the Haven guests. As expected the cabins were already open and we dropped our carry ons and went to the MDR for lunch. Since we had the beverage package we started early, paying the minimal tax while in port. I know people complain about having to pay tax but really it was around a dollar a drink, certainly not enough to delay my Mango Meltdowns. Knowing ahead there were no straws I had packed a few plus a reusable mug with a straw so was prepared. I for one just cannot drink a frozen drink without a straw. Now, once I discovered those Honey Lemonades I didn’t need one.

While Embarkation was quick and easy Debarkation was an annoying mess. When I turned my phone on to text my family about how they were doing in Florence I received a text from American Airlines that my flight was cancelled and they had rebooked us from Sunday to Monday. (That’s a whole other topic—Charleston Airport was open with clear skies but hey, let’s cancel all the nonstop flights there and route everyone through Charlotte where the storm had moved. SMH. A great reason to have trip insurance, and I will post at some point as to how filing a claim turns out)

Anyway, since we had nowhere to be we went to the buffet to eat a leisurely breakfast and hang out....along with 2000 other people, apparently. That’s the first time the whole week I saw a crowd. When we finally decided to leave they were calling “Green” but I don’t know the order of the colors as we were doing self assist. Everything was fine until we actually cleared the gangway. Wow, what a mess. Since we had 3 cases and DH has a hard time walking we wanted to use the elevator. Well, they had only one in service and there was a lady controlling it who would NOT let people on for some reason when it returned to the floor. She yelled at a group that tried to enter and said they had to get off until she said they could go. There were large amounts of time she held it up. Compounding that the wheelchair assist folks were wheeled around those of us who did not use a wheelchair. Well, DH has an artificial hip and 2 knee surgeries under his belt and this was not right. He was about to fall over. There was no reason the wheelchairs could not have waited in line. He decided he’d rather risk falling down the escalator with the luggage so we went back out to join the regular line. I did keep asking him if he wanted me to get a porter as usually the porters are allowed to bypass the lines but he’s a stubborn DH. It didn’t matter in the end because they soon ended that ability for the porters, which sucked for them. They now had to stand in line with the passengers they were assisting which meant they could kiss more tips goodbye. The line took forever but once you were allowed to a Customs Agent it was quick as she did not even ask if we were declaring anything. She looked at our passports, said “welcome back” and out we went, so I guess we could have brought back more than the 1 liter of Cuban Rum per person that we had....

As far as ports we went to GSC first. We were the only ship in port. Tendering was....well....tendering. Not that convenient but at least they were running. Florence was well away from us and we had smooth sailing the whole trip. Since we were the only ship there were plenty of loungers and a lot of shaded areas under the trees that I don’t remember being there before. We had a great spot under trees right next to the bar. I love to snorkel but there were definitely not as many fish as last time we were there. You did have to swim way out to the left of the large rock outcropping to see any colorful ones. Near shore were many of the pale white ones that blend in with the sand. While we ate the tacos for lunch I did walk over to the buffet to look and it did not look near as good or varied as last time. I don’t understand the logistics but we had a very short time period here, just a few hours, which was not what I would have preferred as this is one of my favorite places.

Next day was Cuba. They were using the ticket system to control capacity getting off but again, as Platinum we just left when we wanted. Since we were meeting a private guide we were one of the first off the ship and it took no time at all to go through Customs and change our money. They do take your picture when they stamp your passport and take your visa so they will have a nice data base of people. $400US turned into about $350CUC. Turns out we didn’t use $100 of that so got $97US back. We had planned on eating lunch but then decided not to and we were so tired after our 6 hour tour we never went back out to see Havana at night. We used Blexie Tours and had Raul as our guide in a 57 brown Buick. Blexie had told me that if I brought an SD card Raul would take pictures for us and luckily I had found out from CC that Raul has an older camera that used Compact Flash. Hard to find except at Best Buy and they only had an extreme 32 GB. I asked Raul what he had and he had an older 8 GB so I asked him if he wanted to use his card for my pictures and keep the 32 GB. Yes definitely. I haven’t yet downloaded them so don’t know how they turned out. We had also taken a large bag of Halloween sized chocolate bars to give him. I had seen here on CC that Customs would confiscate gifts so we had put them in a large gallon zip lock so we could say they were our snacks, and they had announced on board gifts were not allowed, but no one looked in our bags. They just X-rayed them. The other announcement NCL kept making was that you could only use ship tours. Ummm, no. You can use whomever you want, or just walk about on your own. Raul was great. I told him we were not museum people so we did not stop at any of those. We saw Fusterlandia, drove around, went to see a huge banyan tree along the Almendares River, had a mojito, etc. It was a good day but tiring for DH. Luckily it was cloudy all day so kept the heat at a minimum. Raul said they only use hard tops because of the heat and rain. We saw and discussed the Cuban people, or at least a snapshot of the city. Everyone should try to go before some stupid government decision to close it again occurs. As a young person Raul and his friends are the future. He was not against their system of government but would like to see more entrepreneurship occur. I found it interesting that he said that although they might eat only rice and beans nobody starved. Well, that’s true, but even our Church food bank gives out more varied items. Nobody starves here either. He would rather be teaching languages in a University but the reality is the money right now is in these tours. We gave both him and our driver cash tips. After seeing how they have to get groceries I hope it helps. We are definitely blessed. From what I saw prices for rum were all controlled as were the cigars. If you buy a cheap cigar off the street be warned Raul told us they take the butts of old cigars and re-roll them to make those cheap cigars, slipping bands from other much better cigars on them. After pointing out a small grocery that had rum he eventually took us to a larger store with both rum and cigars. It was a madhouse so I asked his recommendations for both. We got a sampler of 5 good cigars for $50 and some small botlles of both 7 year and anejo rum for another $20 or so. Idk, I was kind of confused because the transaction was so quick and there was so much commotion. I was also surprised later to find they took the cigars out of the display package and put them in a cardboard box. I put the box in a zip lock bag when we got back to the ship. I have no idea if that is a good idea or not. They are supposed to be a Christmas present for DH. Feel free to chime in and tell me how to store them properly!

HD Brian Walters is the best! He is legendary in terms of customer service. Very responsive, very positive, very good example of interaction with passengers!

I have yet to meet a bad HD on Norwegian. They have all been so helpful and so approachable, with impeccable standards. They really make a difference.

The next day was our sea day and we had signed up for the Platinum BTS tour in the morning before our M & G. It was very abbreviated, not at all like the tour we had done previously on the Sun years ago but still informative. On their last inspection the galleys scored a 99. We were not allowed to take pictures and of course there is no more viewing the bridge which we had actually toured before and been shown the instruments and such.

We had a small group for the M & G but I enjoyed meeting everyone. There were just a few officers in attendance but it was still a good meetup and we would see everyone off and on throughout the week. Captain Teo was not there and as the week progressed I told DH my luck was finally running out getting candid pics with the Captain. I have gotten one with each Captain since the Epic in 2010 and I really wanted one with Captain Teo as he was the person we dined with for “Dinner with an Officer” on the Sun in 2012 when he was Staff Captain.

Even on a sea day no venue felt crowded.

Our next port was Harvest Caye. Since we had the drink package I just could not justify having to buy drinks so we decided to take our mugs filled with Mango Meltdowns and some bottled water ashore. We found some loungers under some tree shade between the pool and the beach. It was a really good location as I just wanted to see how the beach was and try out the pool. The sand was hot, hot, hot, and very rough textured. I got a nature made pedicure. The water was green and not at all clear, almost like our beach at home in color but a bit clearer. I did not bother to try and snorkel because it did not look like we’d see anything. The water was okay but the pool was better. There are a slight few shady areas in the pool and we sort of lounged around and drank our drinks. We walked over to see the butterfly garden which were all blue morphos I believe. The little zoological area had a couple of Toucans, Macaws and a Boa. Not much but small children might like it. A sign said they had a naturalist giving talks but we did not hang around. We went back to the ship for lunch and stayed there. If we ever go back I’ll book an excursion.

In Costa Maya we again did nothing but walk around. It was crowded and hot and the water in the pool did not look inviting with so many bodies and suntan lotion in it. In the past we have gone snorkelling and done Maya Chan but that pesky drink package and those Honey Lemonades were calling my name. I was very disappointed to find I could not connect to a cell signal. I had picked up service in GSC, Harvest Caye and even Cuba in order to text my family about H/TS Florence and in this last port could not get a signal for some reason on my phone, even though I saw cell phones in use. On board I suddenly got a signal and got a text from American Airlines that our flight to Charleston on Sunday had been cancelled. I was beyond frustrated but made a conscious decision to go with the flow. We had trip insurance. Florence had gone north of Charleston. We were lucky. I asked at Guest Services if they were going to discount the internet so people could deal with flight plans but was told no. This young man did not mention anything about using their phone.

Well, a few hours later I was talking with a woman in the Atrium about it when another crew member overheard me and told me most certainly that Guest Services would let me use their phone to call the airline. Alleluia! I immediately called American and got the nicest woman on the phone. We had already been rebooked to Monday for a 4:30 departure but it was through Charlotte. I guess they picked the 4:30pm flight for Monday since that is the time our flight was supposed to be Sunday. Well, that was so we’d definitely make it from the cruise plus it was nonstop. The agent and I discussed the logic of them cancelling flights to CHS, which was NOT in any way affected by Florence, and insist upon funneling us through CLT where Florence was currently stationed. I also told her we did not need that late of a flight but then because Florence wasn’t moving I actually pushed it back to a 9:30pm nonstop to CHS. She did tell me not to go to a hotel from the port but go to the ticket counter at the aiport because they would be adding flights and be able to see them before she would. So lesson learned....you can use Guest Services phones to call your airlines if there is a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the threads are about to be “Read Only” I thought I better post an update concerning this cruise, or more specifically, the travel delay after. We did end up catching an Uber to the airport and going straight to the American Airlines counter. Long story short, Charleston was closed, Charlotte was open (in the midst of the storm) so no way to get home.

We took a room at the Miami International Airport Hotel located right there in the airport terminal. If you have an early morning departure I highly recommend this place! Wow, so easy the next morning to go check our bag for our flight, go eat the free included breakfast, then go back to the room to freshen up, get our carry ons and go through security.

We ended up spending debarkation day lounging around, grabbing a shuttle to the Mall for dinner and music, and just making lemonade out of lemons.

Upon our final return I started an online claim with Allianz for the trip delay. There have been some hiccups. Due to the sheer volume of delays from all over they were not responding within their own allotted time so I ended up calling them, which moved my claim up a bit. I still haven’t physically received a check and for some reason their emails are not getting through to me but I was just assured over the phone they cut me a check for the hotel and the Uber. For some reason they did not receive the uploads for our meal. I plan on resubmitting the missing items. So far I have always found their agents pleasant and responsive but having to file electronically has been buggy at best. When it is all said and done I will post a mini review of them specifically in the Cruise/Travel Insurance Board.