Iona - any larger suites?

Harry Peterson

When I was looking at the booking system the other day it looks like the front facing suites are 512sq ft, but I think that's the largest size & I believe they have a steel front.

I was lucky enough to secure an aft suite 12738 on 23rd May sailing.

I had noticed that all the cabins are on the small side. Superior de luxe on Azura and Ventura are 317 sq ft compared to the largest balcony on Iona (EA) at 229sq ft. Iona’s conservatory minis are 274sq ft, so I am also not sold on her yet! Will not be rushing to book. Apparently there is somewhere where it says the space per passenger on this ship is overall much smaller than others in the fleet. 🧐[emoji924]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had noticed that all the cabins are on the small side. Superior de luxe on Azura and Ventura are 317 sq ft compared to the largest balcony on Iona (EA) at 229sq ft. Iona’s conservatory minis are 274sq ft, so I am also not sold on her yet! Will not be rushing to book. Apparently there is somewhere where it says the space per passenger on this ship is overall much smaller than others in the fleet. 🧐[emoji924]

My single balcony is only 113 sq ft. I hope that excludes the balcony. On the whole Iona cabins seem quite small for a modern ship. As passenger expectation change I hope that does not prematurely age the ship. I am thinking of the lack of balconies on Oriana which now seems a problem.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well it's certainly ensured we won't ever be on Iona. Being cooped up in a tiny cabin like a battery hen isn't my idea of a holiday.

Any suite below 500 square feet is too small in my book and I won't be buying one on this ship at all. Premium price for low end accommodation.

Does a suite have to be several rooms? We have had two suites On QE2 at 420 square feet and QM2 at 750 square feet. In both cases that included the balcony. Really they were both just large but nice cabins. Still just a single room. In hotels when we have had suites they have always been several rooms.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Does a suite have to be several rooms? We have had two suites On QE2 at 420 square feet and QM2 at 750 square feet. In both cases that included the balcony. Really they were both just large but nice cabins. Still just a single room. In hotels when we have had suites they have always been several rooms.

Best wishes, Stephen.

The larger P&O suites tend to have a bedroom area and a sitting room area, with a curtain between the two. I doubt the smaller ones have even that.

P&O seem, in the case of Iona, to be selling larger cabins as suites, but arguably that word is a gross misdescription.

The larger P&O suites tend to have a bedroom area and a sitting room area, with a curtain between the two. I doubt the smaller ones have even that.

P&O seem, in the case of Iona, to be selling larger cabins as suites, but arguably that word is a gross misdescription.

That is what I wondered. It does seem a bit miss leading on behalf of P and O.

Our QM2 suite has since been refitted and they have added a wall to divide it up. As I was not overly impressed with the suite experience I will not bother again.

Best wishes, Stephen.

It’s worth noting that the stated cabin sizes on all P&O ships include balconies. This can give the impression that some suites are bigger than others when in fact the opposite can be the case.

As an example, on Britannia, the aft corner wrap suites look, on paper, as though they are significantly larger than the forward facing suites. The aft corner suite balconies are significantly wider (several times wider in fact) than those at the front, and are included in the quoted footage. The forward facing suites have a sloped ceiling in the bedroom and the (significant) area under this slope is not included in the space calculation. The lounge areas are roughly the same in both. Consequently, on paper the aft suite would appear to be much bigger. However, in reality, as far as inside space is concerned, the forward suite feels significantly larger as the bedroom is more than twice the size of the aft bedroom.

I have no idea about the balcony sizes on Iona but if they are very shallow (as they are on Britannia) then the suites (or balcony cabins) will feel larger than the sizes imply. However, inside cabins at 134 SqFt are tiny whichever way you look at it.

As a further point of interest, we have had suites on Britannia (forward and aft), Arcadia and Ventura (Penthouse) and none has ever had a curtain separating the bedroom from the living area.

I hadn’t clocked that many suites on Iona have interconnecting doors. That would put me off booking one. Sound insulation between cabins can be poor at the best of times, but interconnecting doors allow significantly more noise to pass between cabins.

It’s worth noting that the stated cabin sizes on all P&O ships include balconies. This can give the impression that some suites are bigger than others when in fact the opposite can be the case.

As an example, on Britannia, the aft corner wrap suites look, on paper, as though they are significantly larger than the forward facing suites. The aft corner suite balconies are significantly wider (several times wider in fact) than those at the front, and are included in the quoted footage. The forward facing suites have a sloped ceiling in the bedroom and the (significant) area under this slope is not included in the space calculation. The lounge areas are roughly the same in both. Consequently, on paper the aft suite would appear to be much bigger. However, in reality, as far as inside space is concerned, the forward suite feels significantly larger as the bedroom is more than twice the size of the aft bedroom.

I have no idea about the balcony sizes on Iona but if they are very shallow (as they are on Britannia) then the suites (or balcony cabins) will feel larger than the sizes imply. However, inside cabins at 134 SqFt are tiny whichever way you look at it.

As a further point of interest, we have had suites on Britannia (forward and aft), Arcadia and Ventura (Penthouse) and none has ever had a curtain separating the bedroom from the living area.

I hadn’t clocked that many suites on Iona have interconnecting doors. That would put me off booking one. Sound insulation between cabins can be poor at the best of times, but interconnecting doors allow significantly more noise to pass between cabins.

I agree with much of that, but the aft suites on Ventura and Azura do all have curtains separating the bedroom and living areas:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/penthouse_suite

I agree with much of that, but the aft suites on Ventura and Azura do all have curtains separating the bedroom and living areas:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/penthouse_suite

I had a recollection that the ‘curtain’ we had in our Penthouse on Ventura (like the one shown in the photo) was a mock decorative tie back set-up that wouldn’t have entirely bridged the gap, but as we only use a suite on our own we have no reason to close it, so I must bow to your knowledge on that one.

I had a recollection that the ‘curtain’ we had in our Penthouse on Ventura (like the one shown in the photo) was a mock decorative tie back set-up that wouldn’t have entirely bridged the gap, but as we only use a suite on our own we have no reason to close it, so I must bow to your knowledge on that one.

They do bridge the gap on all the Ventura/Azura aft suites. We do use them because I tend to rise before my wife and I can sit in the living area with the lights on without waking her.

Also useful for dressing for an early dinner without embarrassing the butler when he brings the canapés!

Well it's certainly ensured we won't ever be on Iona. Being cooped up in a tiny cabin like a battery hen isn't my idea of a holiday.

Any suite below 500 square feet is too small in my book and I won't be buying one on this ship at all. Premium price for low end accommodation.

As has already been pointed out, those listed as options on a dummy booking are all 512 square feet.

134 square feet. Ouch. Is that smaller than Oriana and Aurora? Surely that is a backward step. Twenty years from now they will be difficult to fill.

Best wishes, Stephen.