Lax to long beach hotel

Hello All.....Arriving at LAX noon time the day before my cruise on Carnival Splendor in November. Need to get from LAX to a hotel I have booked for that night(near the Long Beach airport). What are my options for transport at the lowest cost(no.....not a bus, train or walking!). Looking at super shuttle or uber(a limo or private car is way out of my budget). Does anyone have experience with this situation and can give me a cost estimate?

FYI. LGB is a bit away from port. You’ll probably need to taxi over. Haven’t heard of many hotels that will transport from over there.

Taxifarefinder.com will give you a a fare estimate.

Shared shuttles are $17/pp. No idea what an Uber/Lyft would be.

Execucar, Super Shuttles Black car service runs around $55. Look for online coupons.

Could get you to port for $8/pp on a bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SadieN,

Trying to find out the best way to get from LAX to the hotel I have reserved in Long Beach on Friday night. I think I will feel better being down in Long Beach the night before the cruise leaves. That is why I picked a hotel in Long Beach but now I need to get there!! Just asking if anyone has done this and what they paid.

Keith1010...thanks. I just plugged in LAX to LBG at ExecuCar and is shows about $106.44. Seems kinda steep for my budget but I really appreciate the suggestion. I asked here on cruise critic because I want to hear from someone like yourself that has used a service and was happy. I don't like to just randomly pick something....to scary for me. I like references. Never know....I may just take your suggestion. Thanks again so much for answering.

SadieN,

Trying to find out the best way to get from LAX to the hotel I have reserved in Long Beach on Friday night. I think I will feel better being down in Long Beach the night before the cruise leaves. That is why I picked a hotel in Long Beach but now I need to get there!! Just asking if anyone has done this and what they paid.

I was just wondering why you’re staying near LGB and not the cruise port? You’ll need another ride to the Dome in the morning.

SadieN,

I picked out a hotel near the Long Beach airport only because of price. I found a Hampton Inn that is priced right for me. The hotels closer to the port and more downtown are above what I want to pay. I do check the hotel sites regularly to see if they have went down. If that happens, I will be switching.

SadieN,

I picked out a hotel near the Long Beach airport only because of price. I found a Hampton Inn that is priced right for me. The hotels closer to the port and more downtown are above what I want to pay. I do check the hotel sites regularly to see if they have went down. If that happens, I will be switching.

I checked out hotel pricing in the area and also found them to be high (IMO). The Residence Inn in Long Beach was not too bad, so you might try that. A local on this board has posted some great information in the past as to hotels in LB, so you might try to find those replies (it was said that some areas of LB are to be avoided, like any city).

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it's time again to post my standard answer:

There is a very limited area of Long Beach in which you want to stay...and, therefore, a limited number of hotels.

"A" List: The BEST places to stay are the Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Hyatt Centric (also known as Hyatt at the Pike) …These put you right in the heart of the tourist area with very convenient walks to restaurants, shops and attractions and easy access to the free "Passport" shuttle...and those ARE the nicest hotels in town. Doesn't necessarily mean they are higher priced, though...and you can often get a real deal via Priceline...

http://www.longbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www.westinlongbeachhotel.com/

http://thepikelongbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels...-renaissance-long-beach-hotel/

"B" List: Slightly further away, but still in decent walking distance, is the Hilton. Just across the bridge (on the same side of the channel as the Carnival Pier) are the Marriott Residence Inn Downtown and the Maya Doubletree...

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hote...-long-beach-LGBLHHF/index.html

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/...e-by-hilton-LGBMYDT/index.html

http://www.marriott.com/hotels...dence-inn-long-beach-downtown/

"C" List: Slightly outside the prime area and/or not necessarily the nicest hotels for one reason or another, but options if all else fails are the Marriott Courtyard and the Best Western Long Beach Convention Center...The Queen Mary is across the bridge ...and right next to the Carnival Terminal...however, I am not a big fan of the Queen Mary--unless you are on there for nostalgia's sake...It's not exactly a first class hotel by today's standards--the rooms are small, condition questionable, etc.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels...courtyard-long-beach-downtown/

https://www.bestwestern.com/co...eDay=&sob=C05&disablenav=false

http://www.queenmary.com/stay-aboard/stay-aboard/

Getting to ANY of these hotels from LAX, you'd either have to take a taxi, car service or a shuttle...Try Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle or Super Shuttle's Execucar...From hotel to pier, some of these hotels may have free shuttles, but policies change time to time, so I would check individually with the hotel...All would be a very short taxi ride from the Carnival Pier...From the Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown or Queen Mary, one could even walk...LAX is 20 miles from the San Pedro World Cruise Center, 23 miles from the Carnival Terminal in Long Beach…could take anywhere from a half an hour to an hour depending on day, time and traffic…

One word of warning: Do NOT go looking for bargains outside of this short list of hotels...Long Beach is a BIG city...there are lots of different areas, some better, some worse...some not so close to the port or the tourist areas...That bargain hotel MAY tell you it's near the Convention Center or near the port...but it may not be...it may be in an undesirable area or location. You want to have a pleasant stay--stick to this list.

This area of Long Beach means you will have a large choice of restaurants nearby, you will have nice shops and picturesque scenery and places to walk and enjoy...You will be close to sites like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary if you want to have a little sightseeing... One word of warning: Do NOT go looking for bargains outside of this short list of hotels...Long Beach is a BIG city...there are lots of different areas, some better, some worse...some not so close to the port or the tourist areas...That bargain hotel MAY tell you it's near the Convention Center or near the port...but it may not be...it may be in an undesirable area or location. You want to have a pleasant stay--stick to this list.

This area of Long Beach means you will have a large choice of restaurants nearby, you will have nice shops and picturesque scenery and places to walk and enjoy...You will be close to sites like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary if you want to have a little sightseeing...Long Beach runs a free shuttle service called the "Passport" which will take you all over the Downtown area:

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

SadieN,

I think Sadie's point was that it could be penny wise but dollar foolish to stay at LGB. If you add the cost of what a taxi or Uber will cost from the hotel at LGB to the cost of the room, you might find a comparable room in Downtown Long Beach with a free shuttle to the port. There will certainly be more choices for dining and things to see and do in the evening.

scottca075...funny you should bring that up. When I was looking for a room weeks back, the downtown hotels were up and above $225 for one night but the Hampton Inn near LGB was at $145. Didn't think it would cost $80 to get from the airport area to the port. Believe me when I say that I factor all that into my decision. I have decided to fly into LAX because United points paid for my United Airlines tickets for two. I just have to cover the transport down to Long Beach. The Residence Inn near the port is now down to $181 per night so I have booked it. I really appreciate all the information that everyone sends as it is really helpful and does make me think outside the box.

We did the Super Shuttle from LAX to LB and then Uber to the pier.

How did that work out (Super Shuttle)? Did you have a reservation or just walk up? And, how long did it take - were there alot of stops?

• 2 weeks later...

lasvegascruising I've used SuperShuttle from LAX to/from the Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach a number of times and can recommend their service.

Pro's: It's very affordable ($19 each way for a shared ride) and it's a door to door service.

Con's: On one occasion I did have a crazy driver who seemed to think he was driving a rally but that was a one off. It's not the fastest way to travel as you sometimes have to wait up to 20 mins at LAX for shuttle heading in your direction to arrive and you may be dropping off or picking up others along the way.

At LAX I've just walked up to the curbside agent and requested a trip with no prior reservation. Returning back to LAX I've always booked the day before and they've arrived exactly at the quoted time.

If affordability is important, you don't mind a shared ride and you're and not pushed for time, I'd say this is likely your best bet.

Hi,

The Residence Inn does not have a free shuttle to the port and it is NOT walking distance. Have you checked the Maya(Doubletree) for your dates??

It has a free shuttle and often has a special Carnival rate.

Without the Carnival rate but using the AAA rate it is the same as the Residence Inn but with the added convenience of the shuttle to the port.

I don't know your exact date in November but I'd check it out.

That's where we always stay.