Hotels Charleston that have shuttles to cruise port?

THUDSON

Just Google Charleston Cruise and Hotel packages and you will come up with a few - there are even some on the Charleston Conventions and Visitor's Bureau site. Are you flying in or driving?

As for "best" that is going to be entirely subjective. The only hotel that I know of in the historic district that has this sort of package is the Andrew Pinckney Inn - just not sure if they have port transfers included with the package or if its just a place to park your vehicle. Would be a shame to stay in Charleston and not spend a day or two seeing the sights........

:o

When looking for hotel, know what you're getting yourself into when the description says "historic" or "rustic".

That means OLD. (Not necessarily quaint and romantic)

Yes, it's probably been remodeled, but it's still old. Electrical conduit running down the outside of the walls. Network (if any) routers and cables hanging from the ceiling. Bathrooms and tubs that were added afterwards during a remodel and small in square footage. If that's okay,,, then rustic and historic it is.

When looking for hotel, know what you're getting yourself into when the description says "historic" or "rustic".

Yes, it's probably been remodeled, but it's still old. Electrical conduit running down the outside of the walls. Network (if any) routers and cables hanging from the ceiling. Bathrooms and tubs that were added afterwards during a remodel and small in square footage. If that's okay,,, then rustic and historic it is.

True, but we are talking about Charleston here. There is a well defined historic district and just a little research will tell you which hotels fall under the historic category (there's quite a few) - usually the price will be the first indicator.

You might want to actually VISIT downtown Charleston BEFORE you make posts like this. Downtown is "historic" and with the prices they charge you are getting a good place to stay. There are not cables hanging from the ceiling or electrical conduit down the walls. :rolleyes:

You might want to actually VISIT downtown Charleston BEFORE you make posts like this. Downtown is "historic" and with the prices they charge you are getting a good place to stay. There are not cables hanging from the ceiling or electrical conduit down the walls. :rolleyes:

Sorry to disagree

Been there, stayed in downtown, and experienced what I wrote.

You live there, you’re defensive. Understood.

We always stay at the Mainstay Suites in Mt. Pleasant. It's right at the end of the bridge from downtown in a great little area. It's at the stoplight across from Patriots Point. They let us keep our car there for the week free. They don't have a shuttle but Uber is only $17 for an UberXL.

Don't let a shuttle discourage you from booking a great hotel somewhere. There are plenty of Uber/Lyfts available around Charleston.

Sorry to disagree

Been there, stayed in downtown, and experienced what I wrote.

You live there, you’re defensive. Understood.

Sorry - I'm gonna have to agree with TruckerDave on this one.

There is a difference between what is considered downtown Charleston and the Historic District - sometimes they are interchanged but there is a difference there as well

Edited by Herfnerd

Sorry Guys.

Stayed at the Francis Marion.

It was billed at the time as being Historic and Rustic.

Sounded like quaint and romantic to me.

What it really meant was old, run down, renovated, small rooms to begin with bathrooms added in what appeared to me as after indoor bathrooms became a requirement. My experience was about 7 to 10 years ago. However, my opinion and my experience is valid.

Now, if that is someone's cup of tea, then by all means it's a great hotel.

All I'm saying is that Historic and Rustic has different meanings and know what your getting yourself into.

7-10 years ago in Charleston is not relevant today. If you had stayed last year then ok, but almost a decade ago is useless today. The city is changing all the time.

You guys are funny. It's kind of cute the way you defend your hometown.

As if you can really invalidate my experience wether it was last month or 10 years ago.

Besides, according to Francis Marion website, the hotel was last refurbished in 1996. That was 22 years ago. Their wifi is probably still on a dial up modem.

The narrative that I'm trying to get across is "Historic and Rustic" does not necessarily mean "Quaint and Romantic".

Due your due diligence and read up on the hotel your interested in.

If you like old and refurbished, that's okay. If you want new and modern, that's okay too.

Edited by klfrodo