Grand Harbour Hotel and Marco Pierre White.

ba98157643

Hi, does anyone have any recent experience of the Grand Harbour Hotel and the Marco Pierre White Restaurant. Have made a booking at the hotel for the night before a November TA, but the hotel reviews seem mixed. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not for the last couple of years as we have seen a very steady decline.

We first defected to the Hilton at the Ageas Bowl, which was good, not the other Hilton, but since it opened have now settled for the new Southampton Harbour Hotel, in Ocean Village, which is truly wonderful.

The Grand Harbour Hotel has steadily deteriorated over the last few years. The rooms are now tired and the staff disinterested.

Like the previous poster, we have stayed at the Hilton Rosebowl, and the new Southampton Harbour Hotel is very good. IMO there is no comparison.

Not for the last couple of years as we have seen a very steady decline.

We first defected to the Hilton at the Ageas Bowl, which was good, not the other Hilton, but since it opened have now settled for the new Southampton Harbour Hotel, in Ocean Village, which is truly wonderful.

I agree that the new Southampton Harbour Hotel is good however Harbour hotels keep telling me as a business travel consultant that their rates are competitive with other properties in the area and they know their market. I beg to differ as my clients are a major food company

and have a rate cap far less than the lowest offered by this hotel and that’s why they have empty rooms and places like Premier Inn and Jurys are packed every night. They can’t rely on cruise passengers paying £285 per night when they can get a perfectly good room for £99 or less at the Premier Inn.

With respect, comparing the Premier Inn with the Hatbour Hotel is comparing chalk with cheese. No pool, no spa, basic rooms, no in room drinks provided, no lovely bar terrace, and the restaurants - well, impossible to compare them either.

We have had, and currently have, the Harbour booked for considerably less that the figure you quote also.

With respect, comparing the Premier Inn with the Hatbour Hotel is comparing chalk with cheese. No pool, no spa, basic rooms, no in room drinks provided, no lovely bar terrace, and the restaurants - well, impossible to compare them either.

We have had, and currently have, the Harbour booked for considerably less that the figure you quote also.

With respect I am not comparing Premier Inn with the Harbour Hotel in terms of facilities, I am commenting on the prices as Southampton isn’t all about cruising and leisure travellers. I am off to work soon and I can assure you that when I get the call today to book business travellers into Southampton this hotel won’t be on their lists as it’s too expensive which unfortunately isn’t what Harbour Hotels want as they don’t want to rely on the cruise passenger all the time.

For example for this evening when there’ll be few cruise passengers in Southampton (no departures tomorrow) the Harbour Hotel rate is around 60% higher than many of the major chains.

Out of curiosity I googled MPW menu,just an upmarket pub menu,but not extortunate as I thought it might be.We always stay at the Premier at airports now.They are very underated IMO,a 3rd of the price of all the Hiltons and Sofitels with a reasonable pub type menu.

Sorry to disappoint you ba98157643, but the Grand Harbour Hotel is well and truly passed it's sell by date. The place to stay ( and to be seen in ;) ) is the New 'Southampton Harbour Hotel' .

Contrary to peteukmcr's post ( travel consultant) I come from a long line of Hoteliers , I've spent the best part of my life in the 'hotel, hospitality and service industry'. I believe I know a good thing when I see and experience it.

Thanks Bell Boy. Combined with what I’ve read elsewhere and here I’ve cancelled the Grand Harbour. We were intrigued by Ennio’s boutique hotel so we’ve booked that instead. It gets good reviews and the menu looks good too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums